Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have in office if these two were your only choices for 2008?
George Bush 24 43.64%
Hillary Clinton 31 56.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:18 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times

Advertisements

I love how you spelled all that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
That's exactly what I was talking about, the puritanical, egomaniacal, somewhat vindictive side of Rudy which made him disliked by a large percentage of NYC's population. The Rudy that ordered the NYPD to close bars on St.Marks and who threatened to yank city funding for the Brooklyn Museum due to the "Sensation" exhibit. While IMO his heroism on 9/11 did redeem his prior flaws as mayor (just as Churchill's heroism during WW2 redeemed his highly flawed prior political career), said flaws make him undesirable as US president IMO. However, Hillary is a bit of a puritanical mild authoritarian and hawk herself, and seems to be rather weak in the "respect for civil liberties" department like Rudy. It would be difficult for me to determine who would be the lesser evil.

However, I would go with any other Dem against Giuliani easily. I would love to see Obama, Edwards, or Gore be president. As for Richardson and Biden, they do have their flaws but I'd go with either rather than ANY Repub (including Rudy) or Hillary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 05:33 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
When George W. Bush became president, we had enormous budge surplusses. Now we have a gigantic budget deficit. And that's not counting what's being spent on the war, which is somehow kept off the budget. What kind of a Republican creates that much red ink?
He is a good republican but a very poor conservative. LOL We haven't had a true conservative in office in a long time. We either get TAX to death Dems or Tax cut and spend Republicans. Personally I will take the tax cut. Than Complain when the Dems raise taxes to pay for it. LOL

Old 02-16-2007, 05:42 PM

A Republican and a Democrate were walking one day. As they came up to a homlessman, The Republican gave him his Business card. Tells him to come to his company for a job. Than hands him $20 for something to eat and to clean up with. The Democrate was highly impressed so upon the next homless person they came acrosss, He runs up to show the Republican he can do good too. So the Democrate Tells the homless guy where the WELFARE office is, Than he reaches into the Republicans pocket and pulls out $20. Of that $20 he keeps $15 for admin cost and gives the homless guy $5. And that is the diffrence between Republicans and Democrates. And that is also why I rarely vote for Democrat's

Old 02-16-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I thought you said, "we agreed" on politics.

I think Bush is the worst president we've had in my life-time, if not in the history of the country. And although I don't know if I will have a choice to vote for Hillary Clinton come '08, with these two only to chose from, it is Hillary all the way.

And if you start reading below the surface (see Chaz' post) you'll see we are about to go down the toilet!
I just can't put another Clinton in the whitehouse. Like I said I may not agree with Bush all the time and conservative he is not. But I know where he stands. And Clinton Stands Noware unless it gets her elected. The last clinton we had was a Sued everyone, and industry, they didn't like and tax all to death. But give all the worthless non working bums free rides. The only good that came out of that admin was welfare reform,(which clinton himself addmitted he was not for) Oh and the surplus. But that is all I can think of and 1 of those he isn't responsable for.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:54 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,061 times
My vote is for Bush. Some of his polices haven't made me happy and I do believe we will learn more about this war then we do now. Putin was no friend of President Bush and I believe he is the one responsible for false information and is in it with China and Iran.
It's easy for Hillary to sit there now and say she wasn't for this war when shebacked it after 9/11 and was just as ready. You can't just tell everyone when it's not going right OH by the way I really didn't want this war and your children are there because the President misguided us she had the same information as the President. What a cope out!!! She is a flip flop and not to be trusted.
At least President Bush isn't tucking his tail and running. If you were able to hear all the good verses the bad that's going on in Iraq we should try to have hope for Iraq and Afganstian and support the time they have been given to pull a third world country together. Freedom is not free for Americans. Do you want the Taliban running Our Country, because they sure would like too and Hillary would appease and make deals with them and thats whats got us here in the first place.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:56 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Well, to show how different we see things:

I have been in this situation. But I gave the homeless person my card; suggested they checked into a social service agency; invited them to have breakfast; paid for it; and went to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
A Republican and a Democrate were walking one day. As they came up to a homlessman, The Republican gave him his Business card. Tells him to come to his company for a job. Than hands him $20 for something to eat and to clean up with. The Democrate was highly impressed so upon the next homless person they came acrosss, He runs up to show the Republican he can do good too. So the Democrate Tells the homless guy where the WELFARE office is, Than he reaches into the Republicans pocket and pulls out $20. Of that $20 he keeps $15 for admin cost and gives the homless guy $5. And that is the diffrence between Republicans and Democrates. And that is also why I rarely vote for Democrat's

Old 02-16-2007, 06:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
In the real world, at least in California, the wealthy Democrat from Beverly Hills is just as snobbish and stand offish towards the poor as the wealthy Republican from Newport Beach, and their behavior (outside of the voting booth) and love of conspicuous consumption are quite similar. However, I'd much rather have the rich voting for Henry Waxman than voting for Dana Rohrabacher.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:09 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,340 times
Quote:
This is sooo good!!! I can not understand why more people don't get it!! Even though I have not been crazy about Bush lately, I would vote for him in a heartbeat over Hillary!!!

Old 02-16-2007, 06:17 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,632 times
Quote:
As you said something will be cut. That is how it should be Hillary will raise taxes not cut spending. I would never Vote for her.
Cut? I'm not going to crunch the numbers here an now, but we'd have to SHUT DOWN the govt for a period of time in order to clean up this mess.
You simply can't "cut" THAT much. Somewhere, someone is going to HAVE to raise taxes during the next three terms in order to pay for this irresponsible behavior. We cannot "cut" that much without crippling our country.

I don't want to see a HUGE tax increase, but like it or not there WILL have to be SOME sort of a tax increase SOMEWHERE to clean up the chimp's mess.

Have you LOOKED at the national debt? Check this little applet out...

http://www.toptips.com/debtclock.html (broken link)

You think we're paying this back without raising taxes? lmao.

-TT

Old 02-16-2007, 06:48 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
You think we're paying this back without raising taxes? lmao.

-TT
No one is stopping you from paying more taxes. Go ahead and chip in if you want to pay more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections