Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:06 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,411,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
That's the great thing about American, anybody can get a book deal, especially when you are an African American conservative. There isn't a lot of competition.
Black guy runs for president...You follow your own logic on that one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:11 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,411,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If he's so smart, why didn't he warn us of the dangers of Bush as president?
For example?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:19 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,404,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Sowell is churning out one good column after another trying to warn of the danger of Obamanation................

Thomas Sowell : Polls and Pols - Townhall.com

Polls and Pols
by Thomas Sowell

It may seem hardly worthwhile going to the polls to vote this election year, since ACORN and the media have already decided that Barack Obama is to be the next President of the United States.

Still, it may take more than voter fraud and media spin to put Senator Obama in the White House. Most public opinion polls show Obama ahead, but not usually by decisive margins, and sometimes by a difference within the margin of error.

There has been a history of various polls over the years projecting bigger votes for the Democrats' presidential candidate in October than that candidate actually gets in November.

Some of these polls seem like they are not trying to report facts but to create an impression. One poll has been reported as using a sample consisting of 280 Republicans and 420 Democrats. No wonder Obama leads in a poll like that.

Pollsters have to protect their reputations but they can do that by playing it straight on their last poll before election day, after having created an impression earlier that a landslide for the Democratic candidate was all but a done deal.

The general media bias is more blatant than usual this year.
There was more media outcry about Sarah Palin's response to "gotcha" questions than to Joe Biden's talking about President Franklin D. Roosevelt going on television in 1929 after the stock market crash-- at a time when FDR was not yet president and there was no television to go on.

An editor at Time magazine has admitted that there has been bias but expressed a desire in the future to be more fair to both sides. Just the fact that he expresses the issue this way shows that he still doesn't understand the real problem.
Thomas Sowell gets paid to theorize in a conservative manner. It's how he earns a living. The reality is that people are flat out sick of Bush, Cheney, Neocons, Conservatives, the Iraq War, Republicans, McCain, and now Palin. Sowell can't rationalize 8 years of Republican crap or the fact that there is great resistance to 4 more years of the smelly stuff.

Sowell will vote for Obama while screaming otherwise.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:48 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1878 View Post
Sowell is a very intelligent and fair thinker. I just started reading some one of his books and I look forward to hearing more of what he has to say.

I also like what Walter Williams has to say... Why can't he be our first African American President!!!
Hmmm, I've heard this about Colin Powell...until he endorsed Barak Obama, then all of that other stuff went out the window and in came cries of "he only endorced him because he's black"

I hope for Thomas Sowell & Walter Williams' sake, they never endorse a black candidate. The scripts will be flipped so fast, they won't even have time to read the stage directions.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:25 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,929,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
The polls are likely skewed and somewhat wrong. When you look at the fine print, you find that they make their predictions based on a sampling of 1,000 people in a state, chosen to reflect party registration percentages. There's a lot of room for error.

However, there is further damage that can't be predicted. With an overtly biased media touting possibly erroneous polls showing one candidate's dominance, there will be a number of people who think the outcome is inevitable and will stay home. This is very unfortunate.
That is what the polls are used for. This year, it happens to be the Dems that are using them to try and discourage conservative and Independent voters who aren't voting for Obama. The funny thing is that it could actually work against them, in that too many people may feel that their vote is not needed to help Obama win. That part I like.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Oh, please the only reason that this thread exists is because Sowell is an African American. This has been going on all over the board, whether it is Thomas Sowell, the African Press International, some obscure group of black Republicans or Rev. Thomas Manning. You folks are scouring the web for any African American critic of Obama as if that gives weight to the criticism.

SEE HERE'S A WHITE, I MEAN RIGHT THING BLACK PERSON WHO DOESN'T LIKE OBAMA, SEE, SEE, SEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

You would have done the same with Colin Powell except he broke away from the plantation, now all you folks want to do is make Powell out to be some race lackey.

Spare me, the disingenuousness is just so apparent, it ain't funny.
You are full of **** as usual. I posted the article by him because I agree with it and think that what Sowell has to say is important. It matters not that he is black, but it is nice that he is.

You are one of the most racist and bigoted people in this forum. Why? Because all you do is talk about racism and bigotry. It seems to be the first thing you think of no matter what. It really shows your mindset, what mind you have that is.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You seem pretty bitter and angry, wish I could help you with that somehow.

I skimmed your post...I find it quite funny, I've read one of his books and have another one I have not yet had a chance to start yet...I've owned the two books for over a year and my ownership and interest in them have nothing to do with Obama, McCain, or Bush.
That is a person who is hateful the whole world. One can tell by their posting style. They have much racism and bigotry within themselves or they wouldn't find so much in all of the posts they do. Besides, they love Obama and can't stand anything anyone who doesn't like Obama posts. It really is pretty simple. It seems that politics brings out the worse in some.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Thomas Sowell gets paid to theorize in a conservative manner. It's how he earns a living. The reality is that people are flat out sick of Bush, Cheney, Neocons, Conservatives, the Iraq War, Republicans, McCain, and now Palin. Sowell can't rationalize 8 years of Republican crap or the fact that there is great resistance to 4 more years of the smelly stuff.

Sowell will vote for Obama while screaming otherwise.
You wish! There is no way that Sowell would ever vote for Obama, whether he was white or black. Obama is far too liberal for the tastes of Sowell, not to mention Sowell is too smart to be taken in by the likes of Obama.

You are not even able to rationalize your hatred toward anyone that isn't for Obama. You lose but thanks for playing.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:39 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,905,923 times
Quote:
It may seem hardly worthwhile going to the polls to vote this election year, since ACORN and the media have already decided that Barack Obama is to be the next President of the United States.
Ahh, the Acorn smokescreen.
Sowell probably hasn't heard of the voter suppression techniques being used, on a much larger scale than whatever voter registration problems Acorn has.

Quote:
Some of these polls seem like they are not trying to report facts but to create an impression. One poll has been reported as using a sample consisting of 280 Republicans and 420 Democrats. No wonder Obama leads in a poll like that.
I'd say that an advantage for one party is already factored in for the final numbers.

Quote:
The general media bias is more blatant than usual this year.
There was more media outcry about Sarah Palin's response to "gotcha" questions than to Joe Biden's talking about President Franklin D. Roosevelt going on television in 1929 after the stock market crash-- at a time when FDR was not yet president and there was no television to go on.
Gotcha questions like "what magazines do you read?"
C'mon Sowell, did you even watch those interviews?

Those paragraphs sound more like McCain campaign talking points than anything else.
I'll read more of his work.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:01 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,494,439 times
I agree, it's almost as if they want someone black to validate their position, nevermind the fact that their position is ridiculous. It is especially funny to see them sing praises to Colin Powell, but completely change tunes about him after he endorsed Obama. So transparent...

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Oh, please the only reason that this thread exists is because Sowell is an African American. This has been going on all over the board, whether it is Thomas Sowell, the African Press International, some obscure group of black Republicans or Rev. Thomas Manning. You folks are scouring the web for any African American critic of Obama as if that gives weight to the criticism.

SEE HERE'S A WHITE, I MEAN RIGHT THING BLACK PERSON WHO DOESN'T LIKE OBAMA, SEE, SEE, SEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

You would have done the same with Colin Powell except he broke away from the plantation, now all you folks want to do is make Powell out to be some race lackey.

Spare me, the disingenuousness is just so apparent, it ain't funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections