Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:07 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,281,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
AHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHA HHA............................................... ...............................AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAH...................................AHAH AHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA
You can laugh all you want. McCain promises you the sun, the moon and the stars. And, incredibly, you believe it. Obama looks at the nightmare mess he will inherit if he is elected President and tells his supporters it will be a long and hard road to get back on track. Apparently, unlike McCain supporters, Obama supporters prefer--and get--the "straight talk" that McCain only promises and never delivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 01:09 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,281,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Yeah, but how will this go over with "the masses?" It will look like he promised everything to win and, as soon as he gets the votes,now he says, "sorry, can't deliver." Yikes! The dude raised expectations way, way high.

I honestly don't understand how people can see this guy as anything but a cool and calculated politician and how they view him as a "bastion of hope," but people DO believe all of the crap. Pretty cruel for him to so quickly plan to dash the hope he created.
How's he being "cruel"? He's been straight all along with his supporters that things will be difficult. For those of us who have actually been listening to him, there's no news here.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
It's called "honesty."
Nope, sorry. "Honesty" would have been evident if he didn't encourage people to think he was something more than a typical politician and to vest all of their hopes in him. He has NOT been honest about his actual ability to effect improvement and, for nearly two years, he's been making grandiose promises. Do you actually think he would have been able to create a "movement" by being honest?

Now, just days before the election, his team is putting in plans to dash the hopes they painstakingly and relentlessly created. Wow.

858 posts, read 1,501,885 times
I bet if Obama were to murder someone on live TV the Obama supporters would try and "justify" it.. It's hilarious.... You people have been LIED to, and you just can't except it.

7,730 posts, read 14,162,407 times
Quote:
Yeah, but how will this go over with "the masses?" It will look like he promised everything to win and, as soon as he gets the votes,now he says, "sorry, can't deliver." Yikes! The dude raised expectations way, way high.

I honestly don't understand how people can see this guy as anything but a cool and calculated politician and how they view him as a "bastion of hope," but people DO believe all of the crap. Pretty cruel for him to so quickly plan to dash the hope he created.
Obama has called for his supporters to get involved. If they don't and these things don't happen, they have themselves to blame as much as him. You refuse to admit that Obama has made this clear several times. No one man can do it. He has inspired them. If he wins, it'll be up to them as much as him to make it happen.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Obama has called for his supporters to get involved. If they don't and these things don't happen, they have themselves to blame as much as him. You refuse to admit that Obama has made this clear several times. No one man can do it. He has inspired them. If he wins, it'll be up to them as much as him to make it happen.
Seriously, what can his supporters do on a practical level? Are you saying that if he is elected and his presidency doesn't succeed, he'll chide his supporters for not doing enough? That would be interesting.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Seriously, what can his supporters do on a practical level? Are you saying that if he is elected and his presidency doesn't succeed, he'll chide his supporters for not doing enough? That would be interesting.
They can start by getting involved locally to educate their friends, neighbors, and community. They can get involved in local politics and join organizations that work at the grass roots level to push for the plans they want to see implemented. They can call and write their state assemblies and governors. They can lobby their own Congressional leaders to support the legislation they want to see passed. Or, they can go back to their houses after the election, they can sit in front of their computer and argue with people like you and accomplish nothing. I'm betting they stay involved once they see the power of their accomplishments should he win.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:31 AM

So they can become "community organizers" a la ACORN? Yikes.

I was hoping you'd say they could become more involved in bettering their communities by volunteering at hospitals, schools, church outreach programs, etc. Sorry, but training up a bunch of loudmouth, partisan activists is a turn-off and will perpetuate the division in this country. When I've volunteered for organizations, I didn't know the political leanings of the other volunteers and that's always best.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:34 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I see it as Obama and his advisers being more realistic than some of his supporters. I don't expect him to get very far with much of what he's proposed unless he gets a 60 seat majority in Congress.
I think you mean the Senate.

I take the opposite view of it: it would actually be to Obama's advantage for the republicans to maintain filibuster power in the Senate.

Look, Obama is a mouthpiece and he has no independent power base. Congress will most likely dominate the next government, meaning Dodd/Frank/Ried/Pelosi and the gang, Obama will have to struggle to maintain relevancy (except for his mouth of course).

If there are enough republicans left to maintain some balance, he might be able to play the two forces off against each other and assert some sort of leverage.

But then again, maybe not.

The temptation to raid the other half of the treasury will be too great and Obama will be easily bought off, like the rest of them.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I think you mean the Senate.

I take the opposite view of it: it would actually be to Obama's advantage for the republicans to maintain filibuster power in the Senate.

Look, Obama is a mouthpiece and he has no independent power base. Congress will most likely dominate the next government, meaning Dodd/Frank/Ried/Pelosi and the gang, Obama will have to struggle to maintain relevancy.

If there are enough republicans left to maintain some balance, he might be able to play the two forces off against each other and assert some sort of leverage.

But then again, maybe not.

The temptation to raid the other half of the treasury will be too great and Obama will be easily bought off, like the rest of them.
DOH! Yes, the Senate. You may be right. The Republicans might actually find their lesser government backbone just to keep the Democrats in check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections