Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:38 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,163,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
So they can become "community organizers" a la ACORN? Yikes.

I was hoping you'd say they could become more involved in bettering their communities by volunteering at hospitals, schools, church outreach programs, etc. Sorry, but training up a bunch of loudmouth, partisan activists is a turn-off and will perpetuate the division in this country. When I've volunteered for organizations, I didn't know the political leanings of the other volunteers and that's always best.
While great, those things won't ensure that Obama and other politicians honor their promises. That's what we're talking about here, not community organizations that offer charity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 01:47 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,584,516 times
Again, he's just being honest and realistic - very fresh attitude for a politician I would say...

After all, it hasn't been until the last 6-8 weeks that we have really seen how totally and completely Bush, McCain and all the Republican's in Congress have screwed up this country's economy... It will take an act of God to fix it quickly - and let's face it, Obama is only human....

I'd trust him to take on the huge economic, foreign relations, and moral issues we face a lot more than any other politician....

And yes, thanks to his predecesor and the un-Godly mess he has left - Obama has no choice but to reduce our expectations of what can feasibly be accomplished in his first term...

Neocons take this news with a perverse glee and think it means Obama supporters will be disappointed. On the contrary- it make them rally behind Obama to help him overcome the obstacles that have and will be placed in his way by the right...

Old 10-31-2008, 01:51 AM

858 posts, read 1,502,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Again, he's just being honest and realistic - very fresh attitude for a politician I would say...

After all, it hasn't been until the last 6-8 weeks that we have really seen how totally and completely Bush, McCain and all the Republican's in Congress have screwed up this country's economy... It will take an act of God to fix it quickly - and let's face it, Obama is only human....

I'd trust him to take on the huge economic, foreign relations, and moral issues we face a lot more than any other politician....

And yes, thanks to his predecesor and the un-Godly mess he has left - Obama has no choice but to reduce our expectations of what can feasibly be accomplished in his first term...

Neocons take this news with a perverse glee and think it means Obama supporters will be disappointed. On the contrary- it make them rally behind Obama to help him overcome the obstacles that have and will be placed in his way by the right...
The problem I see with this is a lot of Obama supporters do not want to do ANYTHING... They are all on welfare and just want hand outs.. What makes you think they are going to help Obama?? Oh and a lot of them also do not even know what he is about or what his ideas are. I have talked to many that have no clue about Obama, they just hear "change" and decided they will vote for him just because of that. You think all of those people want to actually get out and help?

Old 10-31-2008, 01:54 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Well, we may find out. But I'm quite skeptical that the lion's share of Obama supporters will continue working for his cause in some capacity. Let's face it, a whole bunch are voting for him because he's promised them the most goodies and, if he doesn't deliver, they're going to be quite ticked.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Well, we may find out. But I'm quite skeptical that the lion's share of Obama supporters will continue working for his cause in some capacity. Let's face it, a whole bunch are voting for him because he's promised them the most goodies and, if he doesn't deliver, they're going to be quite ticked.
I bet they'll hold him accountable for his failings. That's something we haven't seen for 8 years. Most won't defend him if they don't get what he's promised.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:10 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
He's already said a few times that the economic issues we're facing will mean some of his plans may have to be put off. In fact, he said it during one of the debates. He never said which plans, but I think he's more realistic than some of his supporters who promise us all unicorns and puppies that fart rainbows.
Some of his plans? Are you kidding? Try all of his plans. I've been screaming bloody murder about this all month. Experts have said if he can offer up even 5% of the promises he has made, it will be an absolute miracle.

Want an example of this guy's past work? Look no further them the slums of Chicago. Promises of utopia? Get real, ain't happening. And no, it ain't happening ander either president.

You want something? Get off you behind and go get it. News flash! Cause nobody is gonna give it to ya!

Old 10-31-2008, 02:11 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,986 times
Quote:
The problem I see with this is a lot of Obama supporters do not want to do ANYTHING... They are all on welfare and just want hand outs..
I assume you have some statistical backup for this statement?
Or is it garbage?

Obama holds a very large advantage among highly educated voters.
Does that scream welfare to you?

Source:
Men, Less Educated Among Those Shifting to Obama

Scroll down to the education section to see the splits.

Quote:
Let's face it, a whole bunch are voting for him because he's promised them the most goodies.
Define a "whole bunch".
And cite your source - or is it simply opinion?

Last edited by compJockey; 10-31-2008 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: mispelled cite

Old 10-31-2008, 02:14 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,076,808 times
So, that 30 minute commercial where He parted the sea in HALF so we can all walk to the Promise Land is all a HOAX????

What about those who voted early for him thinking that he can get all these done in a flash????!!!!!

Sounds like my remodeling contractor who gives me a cheap estimate and then once he starts the job, he keeps adding costs to the original estimate. And I can't refuse because he is already in the middle of the JOB!!!

Sounds like a SCAM to me!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
You want something? Get off you behind and go get it. News flash! Cause nobody is gonna give it to ya!
Unless you live in Alaska. They got $3200+ this year just for being residents of the state thanks to Palin's windfall tax on oil companies.

Sounds like...nah, I'm sure with your psychic powers, you already know what that sounds like.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:18 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,076,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
It's called "honesty."
It is not called honesty because thousands of people already VOTED for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections