Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:21 PM

64 posts, read 173,197 times

Advertisements

Michael Savage should be ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 05:26 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,619,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejuan2 View Post
Michael Savage should be ignored.
Hmmm...that sounds awfully close to bieng anti first amendment.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
No it isn't. You're free to say whatever you want and everyone else is free to pay it no mind if they choose.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Highly unlikely.

Just a few things for you to chew on though...

Most African Americans who are socioeconomically middle class and higher do not necessarily need Affirmative Action. Nor do they want to have to fight the stigma of Affirmative Action.

There is a fear however among AfAms that if we do not have laws in place that we will face blatant discrimation. For example, a small business owner who does not want to hire a Black to work for their company regardless of the person's qualifications. Affirmative Action policies will probably never be a factor for that small business owner - no one is really going to make that company fall into compliance.

The one thing that most Whites do not consider when discussing Affirmative Action is how White women, Hispanics and others have benefited from AffAct.

Affirmative Action at the college level. I remember when I was applying to colleges that I made a conscious discussion to exclude my race(marked decline to state) from my applications and made sure that my essays were racially sterile. And I did not have a face-to-face interview with any of the schools. I was accepted to most of my chosen schools based on my credentials. However, the assumption of many Whites has been that I was accepted because of AffAct. I always reply that I never stated my race on apps. And reminder people that even if some students do get accepted because of an AffAct program by a college, these schools do not have a AffAct policy in who graduates.

The "playing field" will never be level. I think that I have personally learned that if I don't get a job because the people hiring don't "like" Black people....I don't want to work there.

A lot of Blacks feel the same way. If companies won't hire you because you are Black, start your own business!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Highly unlikely.

Just a few things for you to chew on though...

Most African Americans who are socioeconomically middle class and higher do not necessarily need Affirmative Action. Nor do they want to have to fight the stigma of Affirmative Action.

There is a fear however among AfAms that if we do not have laws in place that we will face blatant discrimation. For example, a small business owner who does not want to hire a Black to work for their company regardless of the person's qualifications. Affirmative Action policies will probably never be a factor for that small business owner - no one is really going to make that company fall into compliance.

The one thing that most Whites do not consider when discussing Affirmative Action is how White women, Hispanics and others have benefited from AffAct.

Affirmative Action at the college level. I remember when I was applying to colleges that I made a conscious discussion to exclude my race(marked decline to state) from my applications and made sure that my essays were racially sterile. And I did not have a face-to-face interview with any of the schools. I was accepted to most of my chosen schools based on my credentials. However, the assumption of many Whites has been that I was accepted because of AffAct. I always reply that I never stated my race on apps. And reminder people that even if some students do get accepted because of an AffAct program by a college, these schools do not have a AffAct policy in who graduates.

The "playing field" will never be level. I think that I have personally learned that if I don't get a job because the people hiring don't "like" Black people....I don't want to work there.

A lot of Blacks feel the same way. If companies won't hire you because you are Black, start your own business!
Thanks. Alot of good points there. However, Do you thing Obama was pushed ahead (so to speak) because of the dems need to show they are racially sensitive and to get a dem in the white house no matter what?

Old 11-03-2008, 05:51 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Quote:
Thanks. Alot of good points there. However, Do you thing Obama was pushed ahead (so to speak) because of the dems need to show they are racially sensitive and to get a dem in the white house no matter what?
The Democrats do want the White House, of course. I think that they were surprised that Obama pulled ahead of Hillary as the frontrunner.

I can honestly say that no one thought that America was "really" ready to elect a Black President but Obama is magnetic and he reminds a lot of people of the "Camelot" era with JFK. That was before my day but the world was turning upside down just as things are today.

America is seeking someone who is intelligent, personable, approachable, youthful and somewhat idealistic. Obama fits that bill better than any of the other candidates (Dem or Rep). I think that if the Reps had put forth a younger Republican who was more dynamic that this race would have been a closer one.

Last edited by calipoppy; 11-03-2008 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-03-2008, 05:52 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Quote:
I think that if the Reps had put forth a younger Republican who was more dynamic that this race would have been a closer one.
Bobby Jindal. Unlike Palin, he'd come off like he has a clue.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:53 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,113 times
Quote:
Hey! You've got the same notion of the first amendment as does Palin. Isn't that funny?

Old 11-03-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
The Democrats do want the White House, of course. I think that they were surprised that Obama pulled ahead of Hillary as the frontrunner.

I can honestly say that no one thought that America was "really" ready to elect a Black President but Obama is magnetic and he reminds a lot of people of the "Camelot" era with JFK. That was before my day but the world was turning upside down just as things are today.

America is seeking someone who is intelligent, personable, approachable, youthful and somewhat idealistic. Obama fits that bill better than any of the other candidates (Dem or Rep). I think that if the Reps had put forth a younger Republican who was more dynamic that this race would have been a closer one.
You see, I have really no problem with Obama as a citizen. In fact, I would welcome anyone (Black, white, Asian Et al) into the white house if I felt they were qualified enough. I am no real fan of McCain either, but i consider him the more qualified man in my opinion. In these uncertain times with terrorism looming around the corner and illegal immigration out of control, I am voting for the candidate that has more than "Magnetism" or bieng "aproachable".

Old 11-03-2008, 06:09 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,840 times
Quote:
This according to Michael Savage who claims that Obama was only forwarded, even over Hillary Clinton to be the first Affirmative action President". Please tell me if there is any merit in that statement...
At the Dem convention and in several other speeches, obama stated he did not want his girls to get anywhere due to race ( I took that to mean he was anit-affirmative action). In other arguments and speeches, he says it is due to his wealth.

I figure aftewr he messes up the govt, no one will have any money so there will be no need for affirmative action.... at that point, we will be a thrid world nation with out college -- or everyone will qualify either on race or poverty ( yes, there are 2 types of ways to get it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections