Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:40 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,664,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
At the Dem convention and in several other speeches, obama stated he did not want his girls to get anywhere due to race ( I took that to mean he was anit-affirmative action). In other arguments and speeches, he says it is due to his wealth.

I figure aftewr he messes up the govt, no one will have any money so there will be no need for affirmative action.... at that point, we will be a thrid world nation with out college -- or everyone will qualify either on race or poverty ( yes, there are 2 types of ways to get it)
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 06:44 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,144,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
This according to Michael Savage who claims that Obama was only forwarded, even over Hillary Clinton to be the first Affirmative action President". Please tell me if there is any merit in that statement...
Only a complete racist ignoramus would make such a statement. It's a shame that everytime a Black person becomes successful, some jealous ne'er-do-well KKK racists screams "Affirmative Action".

The man is a HARVARD LAW SCHOOL GRADUATE. I believe he has the qualifications to become President. [Mod edited]

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 11-03-2008 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: lets not get personal

Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,081,283 times
[quote=calipoppy;5990853]Highly unlikely.

Just a few things for you to chew on though...

Most African Americans who are socioeconomically middle class and higher do not necessarily need Affirmative Action. Nor do they want to have to fight the stigma of Affirmative Action.

There is a fear however among AfAms that if we do not have laws in place that we will face blatant discrimation. For example, a small business owner who does not want to hire a Black to work for their company regardless of the person's qualifications. Affirmative Action policies will probably never be a factor for that small business owner - no one is really going to make that company fall into compliance.

The one thing that most Whites do not consider when discussing Affirmative Action is how White women, Hispanics and others have benefited from AffAct.

Affirmative Action at the college level. I remember when I was applying to colleges that I made a conscious discussion to exclude my race(marked decline to state) from my applications and made sure that my essays were racially sterile. And I did not have a face-to-face interview with any of the schools. I was accepted to most of my chosen schools based on my credentials. However, the assumption of many Whites has been that I was accepted because of AffAct. I always reply that I never stated my race on apps. And reminder people that even if some students do get accepted because of an AffAct program by a college, these schools do not have a AffAct policy in who graduates.

The "playing field" will never be level. I think that I have personally learned that if I don't get a job because the people hiring don't "like" Black people....I don't want to work there.

A lot of Blacks feel the same way. If companies won't hire you because you are Black, start your own business![/quo

But their are people who get turned down all the time that could ahve easily made it thru graduation.That's really not the point.I am sure just as Bush was reported on to have gotten in js college because of connections this will come up if he iis elected. Presidents lives are a ripped open book in this country.People call Bush dumb but he graduated too.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 PM

207 posts, read 280,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varangian View Post
Only by people who want to further demonize him.
That isn't for the President to decide - it's for Congress to decide. Further, knowing that Congress is run by Democrats, then yes, affirmative action will be important.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,644,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
The man is a HARVARD LAW SCHOOL GRADUATE.
But you see, he got into HLS on affirmative action. Or terrorist money. Or something like that.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:49 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,664,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Only a complete racist ignoramus would make such a statement. It's a shame that everytime a Black person becomes successful, some jealous ne'er-do-well KKK racists screams "Affirmative Action".

The man is a HARVARD LAW SCHOOL GRADUATE. I believe he has the qualifications to become President. [Mod edited]
Why are you bieng so hatefull? I am just asking a question for discussion....

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 11-03-2008 at 07:16 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 06:51 PM

703 posts, read 857,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent thinker View Post
That isn't for the President to decide - it's for Congress to decide.
That's good because I never said as much.

Straw man?

Old 11-03-2008, 06:55 PM

207 posts, read 280,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varangian View Post
That's good because I never said as much.

Straw man?
How insulting. I thought we were here to debate, not ridicule.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:04 PM

703 posts, read 857,437 times
Quote:
It was a "straw man" argument on your part, since I never made the argument.

Calm down. It's a very commonly used term in DEBATE, actually. It's not directed at you personally, just the false argumentation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:07 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,644,600 times
Quote:
Calling out fallacious arguments is well within the bounds of debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections