Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,161,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
So why did the republicans reject him?

Is it Ron Paul is out of touch?

Or is there something really wrong with the Republican Party?

I think the Republican Party has really lost its way. As long as the economy is good, then people will focus on other issues, morality issues, foreign policy etc.

But when middle class families are being evicted and made homeless,

when college educated middle class heartland of America (who usually have the best of opportunities) are competing for jobs at Star Bucks and Home Depot,

When Wall Street brokers, finance executives, and automotive senior level management are being shown the door...

The ECONOMY becomes the bottom line.

Forget stem cell research, marijuana laws, gay marriages, talking with foreign leaders (who don't agree with US policy) vs ignoring those foreign countries, abortion laws, prayers in schools, all of these MORALITY issues.

When people literally don't know where they will be living NEXT month, suddenly taking care of Megan, Katlin, Cody, and Josh Jr. becomes much more important than if neighbors Joe and Patrick are "married".

And in my mind... fighting in Iraq costing BILLIONS of dollars that we don't have to give to the federal government to "redistribute the wealth" to the companies (Halliburt etc) was THE DECIDING FACTOR for this election.

Ron Paul was the only Republican who was against the war and pledged to leave as soon as possible. That is why he got my vote, donation and my time volunteering in his primary campaign.
Ron Paul answered that better than any of us can.

YouTube - Ron Paul - Electability
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:46 PM

972 posts, read 1,331,444 times
Hey I like Ron Paul and I also Like Dennis Kucinich lots too!! There are some good guys out there. Ron Paul would have had a better chance than McCain had the media got more behind him.

Last edited by chasingclouds; 11-05-2008 at 11:05 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 10:59 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Ron Paul answered that better than any of us can.

YouTube - Ron Paul - Electability

Two things about that link... and first thank you for posting it!

I got extremely irritated when the commentator asked if RP was electable... and the snickers from the audience and the commentator himself. That is what I am talking about ... totally uncalled for and it really pissed me off.

Second, RP's answer was breath taking. What in the heck was wrong with the Republican base?? This is what I was talking about... borrowing money from China, to give to a dictator and fighting for democracy ... IN IRAQ????

RP was sort of saying... "HELLOOOOO!!, is anybody home" He even said, "we have sort of lost our way".

Why McCain, who supported spending more money and expanding government (homeland security and no child left behind were actually a increase in government), and who visibly cringed when pushed to predict a foreseable time that we could leave Iraq, got the vote and not someone fiscally conservative and wanting to protect civil liberties like Ron Paul?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:01 PM

During the primary, New Hampshire voted for the guy against the war in Iraq. McCain. It was all over the exit polls. And that's where he made his 100 year comment.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:04 PM

972 posts, read 1,331,444 times
During those early dates... Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich made everyone look pretty dumb. It's a shamed the media **** blocked them after that, the people REALLY like them.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
During those early dates... Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich made everyone look pretty dumb in my eyes. It's a shamed the media **** blocked them after that, the people REALLY like them.
I would have gladly cast a vote for Kucinich. I hope that Obama doesn't marginalize him especially after his speech at the DNC. Wake up America!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:09 PM

paperhouse, thanks again for posting this. I forgot just how much I liked Ron Paul. His message still resonate within me.
My husband asked if I would have voted for Ron Paul against Obama. Being an AA, I was torn because of the significance to me personally of an Obama presidency. But, I really believe that Ron Paul would have got my vote, because his message just made sense to me. And he wasn't afraid to tell the truth. He said we needed to get out of the war... and period that is what he meant. Even Obama has tempered his get out of Iraq to what is it now, 18 months, or when it is responsible?

I guess you have to moderate your answers to get into the oval office. Maybe that is why McCain didn't win, because he wants to stay in Iraq "until the war is won" and he would not back off of that idea.

BTW? How will we KNOW when "the war is won"..... and what are WE (the US citizens) winning in this war? How can we measure a victory? When Iraq surrenders?? but we are not warring with Iraqi troops. When we get the bad guys? Who are the bad guys, where are they? How will we find them?

If we can't positively identify them, and we can't get a map mark where there headquarters or territories are... why are we still shelling, patrolling and getting killed.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:12 PM

Last night, NBC reported from Iraq that commanders there recommend at least 3 more years of combat forces at current levels. We won't be leaving Iraq anytime soon. If we don't reach an agreement by Dec 31, we'll have to ask the UN to extend our stay or suffer the political consequences of occupying a sovereign nation by force. That's an act of war.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
During the primary, New Hampshire voted for the guy against the war in Iraq. McCain. It was all over the exit polls. And that's where he made his 100 year comment.
I don't follow your statement.

Are you saying that NH voted for McCain because he said he was against the war? And after the election he proclaimed that we may have to be in Iraq for at least 100 years???

Is that what you are saying? If so, McCain is very brave, very loyal soldier, but a very stupid politician.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
I don't follow your statement.

Are you saying that NH voted for McCain because he said he was against the war? And after the election he proclaimed that we may have to be in Iraq for at least 100 years???

Is that what you are saying? If so, McCain is very brave, very loyal soldier, but a very stupid politician.
Actually, it was the voters of New Hampshire who were ignorant of the stances of the candidates.

McCain, a hawk on Iraq, appealing to antiwar voters in GOP - The Boston Globe

Call it what you want. Voters are uneducated about the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections