Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:32 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,961,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but shouldnt we be careful about saying just how many people will be there?
It's not like terrorists don't already know a huge crowd is likely for an event like this. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can't live my life too scared to participate in the things I enjoy because a terrorist might show up.

I know people who won't go to Times Square New Years because they're afraid of terrorists. Or to a shopping mall at Christmas because some nut might set off a bomb. They never travel to California because an earthquake might strike. I only have one life, I don't want to live it like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
4 million people? I've heard more like 3... but still, that's a restroom nightmare.
Haha, didn't think of it that way.

Still, have 4 million people ever congregated in one place...ever?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:50 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Haha, didn't think of it that way.

Still, have 4 million people ever congregated in one place...ever?
Wikipedia is my friend:

List of largest gatherings in history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-19-2008, 10:50 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,633,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
It's not like terrorists don't already know a huge crowd is likely for an event like this. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can't live my life too scared to participate in the things I enjoy because a terrorist might show up.

I know people who won't go to Times Square New Years because they're afraid of terrorists. Or to a shopping mall at Christmas because some nut might set off a bomb. They never travel to California because an earthquake might strike. I only have one life, I don't want to live it like that.

True very true. The thought of 4 million people around me just weirds me out a little.....I guess I am a little claustrophobic. I'll sit at home or in a bar and watch, hope everyone there has fun though!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,633,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
4 million people? I've heard more like 3... but still, that's a restroom nightmare.
Hopefully they'll set up a portapotty-city!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Hopefully they'll set up a portapotty-city!
Or you could just be smart about it--take care of business right before you go, and don't drink a lot of liquids. If you just gotta go, may I suggest using one of the many restrooms found at the various monuments. (Choose the one on the back side of the visitor center at the north end of the FDR monument, if you want the absolute primo choice.) So what if you stand in line, it's better than a porta potty.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:07 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
tell your grandkids what? you were at the swearing in of the next bad president? what makes you think I can't tell them that now? we have a lot of people on these forums who are doctors and lawyers don't cha know!? I can tell people whatever I want.

what is this atmosphere you speak of? large crowd in already crowded city that elected a crack head for mayor? sounds like the place I want to be to watch something as boring as the swearing in of the next bad president. liberals are quaint.
No one will miss your kill-joy a$$ . . .

Old 11-19-2008, 01:50 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,857,057 times
no one is going to miss anything. with that many people, you won't miss a damn thing because there won't be anything to see. however, have fun going in to the swearing in of a politician. I am sure DC will benefit from all the spending the sheeple will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
No one will miss your kill-joy a$$ . . .

Old 11-19-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I am sure DC will benefit from all the spending
Not just DC... people are spending a pretty penny to rent rooms as far out as Loudoun County (about an hour's drive west of DC). It's a helluva lot more money than you might get from a stimulus check, that's for sure! The restaurants, taxis, coffee shops, and all sorts of vendors are rubbing their hands with glee.

And what's wrong with that, may I ask? You may be in a sour mood, but let me tell you the people of Nova are enjoying this. For all the talk about "a coming depression" things can't be that bad (yet...) if so many people are willing to spend money just to come to stand on the mall and be part of history.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:12 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,857,057 times
loudoun county in that traffic is going to be 3 hours west of DC. why am I not surprised that restaurants, taxis, and coffee shops will be benefiting in this tough economy when so many are struggling just to pay their starbucks bill. I am not sour, I am laughing. I have made the mistake of being in DC for large events, and it was a nightmare. it's about as smart as going to NYC for new years. I also fail to see anything of any historical significance in the swearing in of a politician. it happens every 4 years. the people in NOVA are the same as always. angry at traffic, high cost of living, and all the other problems in that area. maybe it's different in NWOVA where you live. there is only a talk of a coming depression by extremists. the same people who talked us into the current recession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Not just DC... people are spending a pretty penny to rent rooms as far out as Loudoun County (about an hour's drive west of DC). It's a helluva lot more money than you might get from a stimulus check, that's for sure! The restaurants, taxis, coffee shops, and all sorts of vendors are rubbing their hands with glee.

And what's wrong with that, may I ask? You may be in a sour mood, but let me tell you the people of Nova are enjoying this. For all the talk about "a coming depression" things can't be that bad (yet...) if so many people are willing to spend money just to come to stand on the mall and be part of history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections