Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:10 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times

Advertisements

traffic being bad, and adding 4 million to the DC area is going to shut the town down. I grew up there. they can't handle the current population. nothing is worth that inconvenience. I have been to mini concerts on the mall, and even that was a huge hassle. NO SPANK YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, traffic will be a mess. So what?
It's that way for ANY major event. This one will be worse to be sure, but the fact is that it's a traffic hassle to attend ANY major event - be it a concert, a sporting event, an event like the Worlds Fair or the Olympics, or THIS event.

Many things are simply not the same on TV. Yes you can get just as good (or better view) view from at home on your couch, it's NOT the same as being there.

And to MANY people, apparently it's worth it.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 07:12 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
How many port-a-potty's do you need for 4,000,000 people

Old 11-19-2008, 07:15 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,451 times
I would love to be their for this history making event....The roars I'm sure will be deafening on inauguration day...Something to tell the grandkids about..

Old 11-19-2008, 09:31 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
I would love to be their for this history making event....The roars I'm sure will be deafening on inauguration day...Something to tell the grandkids about..
but........but.....but.....the view!!

Old 11-19-2008, 09:36 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
If you're in town, be sure to stop by the beautiful and historic Capital Heights area. You'll have a "blast".

Old 11-19-2008, 09:51 PM

726 posts, read 2,269,281 times
Wow, they had said 2 million like weeks ago, now its estimated to be 4 million.
Thats a lot of people crowding into one district, I cant even imagine.

Thats gonna be a hell of an experience. Good luck to those going.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:45 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveChick View Post
Wow, they had said 2 million like weeks ago, now its estimated to be 4 million.
Thats a lot of people crowding into one district, I cant even imagine.

Thats gonna be a hell of an experience. Good luck to those going.
Exactly--dealing with the crowd is just part of the experience. If that's not your idea of fun, you'd probably have a better time staying home. I'm one of those people who can get a kick out of being part of a sea of people, and if there weren't a few hassles I'd probably be disappointed that I hadn't had the full experience.

ps. Jim Webb, the senator we're (hopefully) getting tickets from just announced he has had more than 35,000 tickets requests so far and he is only allocated 200. So looks like we're probably joing the ticketless revelers hanging out on the mall. If they show a picture of the crowd on the news, be sure to look for me. I'll be the one waving.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Exactly--dealing with the crowd is just part of the experience. If that's not your idea of fun, you'd probably have a better time staying home. I'm one of those people who can get a kick out of being part of a sea of people, and if there weren't a few hassles I'd probably be disappointed that I hadn't had the full experience.

ps. Jim Webb, the senator we're (hopefully) getting tickets from just announced he has had more than 35,000 tickets requests so far and he is only allocated 200. So looks like we're probably joing the ticketless revelers hanging out on the mall. If they show a picture of the crowd on the news, be sure to look for me. I'll be the one waving.
LOL

I'll be sure and dig out my electron microscope so I can examine photos of the event.

Just out of curiosity, I did a search to find out what the biggest crowd ever was - and it appears it was at a free Rod Stewart concert at the 1994 new years eve fest in Rio de Janeiro. Apparently a crowd estimated at 3.5 million people showed up. I have to say this, those folks sure know how to party.

In any event if 4 million people actually show up for this event, it sounds like it would be a world record.

Whatever the wisdom of attending such an event, clearly Obama is the ONLY politician in American who could draw anywhere near that size of a crowd.

Ken

Old 11-20-2008, 03:25 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
The DC Metro is beginning to release it's strategy for inauguration day:

The Associated Press: DC transit system expects inaugural crowds

In a nutshell, expect a two-hour wait, so bring something to read. Expect to see a very visible presence of an armed security force in the stations. (In other words, don't be alarmed to see lots of police officers or maybe even soldiers with guns.)

They want people to buy passes beforehand. They will have a special commemorative pass to mark the occasion, or you can use a regular pass. (If your fare is less than the amount on the pass the turnstile will return it to you, so put an extra nickle on it if you want a keepsake.) They showed them on the news, they look sharp--something to keep as a souvenier.

Extra cars will be added, and will run until the early morning hours. Parking will be free for inauguration day, but spaces are limited so either get there early or try to make other arrangements.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:35 PM

532 posts, read 908,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but shouldnt we be careful about saying just how many people will be there? If a terrorist wants to kill a large amount of Americans, that would be the perfect spot. I am not trying to hijack or troll this thread, but remember we arent out of the woods yet as far as the war on terror goes. I hope to god that security is tight as never before and that it goes problem free. I have been to the Mall and the shear thought of 4 million people there almost frightens me.
This gave me the best laugh I had all day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections