Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 11:20 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,797,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
That's because the media is "selling" news - or more specifically advertising air time, with news being the "hook" to draw people in. Consequently they typically overly dramatize everything. Every crises is a "major" crises, every breakthrough is a "major" breakthrough, etc, etc, etc.

Folks on the Right constantly complain that the media is "in the tank" for Democrats, but somehow that didn't stop the Media (even MSNBC) from talking about "Whitewater, Whitewater, Whitewater" and "Lewinsky, Lewinsky, Lewinsky" for months and months (no, make that years and years) on end.

Though it IS true that the networks do have their bias, the fact is, in the final analysis it's ALL about making money - and they will most certainly pounce on Obama if a juicy enough story comes along.

Ken
I can't tell you how sick I get of seeing "breaking news" for every little thing.
I used to subscribe to the ABC news alerts on my phone for text messagining and I used to get so many "breaking news" texts about the scandal in Chicago. "Governor takes a breath..." "Governor tells media blah blah blah" "Governor won't back down"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 03:08 PM

956 posts, read 1,235,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
You are aware aren't you that EVERYTHING reported by the news gets "drummed into us over and over again" - EVERYTHING.

We have 24 hour news networks and yet they report the SAME stories over and over again every hour (or even half hour). We don't get 24 hours of news a day. We get an hour (or even a half hour) of news repeated endlessly. It doesn't indicate "an agenda" - merely lazy (and cheap) reporting. They chose a few "top stories" and just go over them repeatedly. It saves them the cost of having to either investigate and report anything in real depth (since they report the SAME detail repeatedly) or to fan out and cover OTHER issues.

These stories might be "the economy", "Drew Peterson's latest girlfriend", "the Hudson River plane crash" - or whatever the top stories of the day happen to be. The economy ALWAYS has a place in this list of top stories - but so do a few selected other issues. It's all about marketing. The networks figure that most people are only interesting a few top stories so that's what they report - leaving tons of news they don't bother with. It's not done for any "political agenda". It's done for financial reasons. It's Capitalism at work - "sell" the public ONLY those news stories that draw the most viewers and ignore the "marginal" news that most people aren't going to be drawn to.

It really s*cks - but it's not a political agenda - just cheap and lazy reporting - after all, news isn't considered a public service anymore, just a means of attracting viewers so that money can be made from commercials.
Nothing nefarious about that - just greedy and lazy.

Ken
Ken, on this we absolutely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post
I have been a long time supporter of Obama for president. I don't know if people realize it, but the media love-fest isn't in Obama's interest, and is leading to unreasonable expectations.

The corporate media seems to swing from one extreme to the other. They went from being a tool of Bush propaganda, to pratically laughing him out of office. They will turn on Obama when they think it will make them money.
I would agree with you on this even though we don't agree politically. The lovefest may have been in Obama's interest at one time, but it certainly isn't any longer. They've milked it to a point that any thinking person just runs from it. The next few days are going to be intolerable for many of us.

I don't think they will turn on Obama for a very long time, but it likely will happen because he is not going to be the President they dreamed about. In fact I believe that it will be the people in the center politically who will end up the most happy with the Obama presidency. The far left is going to be extremely disappointed as time goes on and they learn they can't manipulate him. I just have a feeling Obama is not going to be the far left ruler we thought he would be. But we'll see.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:15 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
i'll say. let get rid of all these liberals and get some good ol DOD gravy train folks back in there.
who shall we invade next? remember being a true american is never having to say you are sorry .

Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,793,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I voted for Obama and was really touched watching the night he was named to be the next president. It will be a night I will remember forever BUT I gotta admit the hype right now is outta control. Can he spend one week in the white house before we say he is the greatest thing ever. I thought the pre hype and media bias before the election was terrible....it keeps getting worse! I hope he does live up to all this hype but I don't think any human being could especially a politician which regardless of his race must sell his soul to be elected.
Unless blacks learn to work and quit breeding like rabbits without a dad in the house, they will be bitterly dissapointed, because obama will be able to do nothing for them.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,160 times
You would think the second coming has arrived. How can so many people be so hyped up about Obama when he hasn't even done anything yet. I didn't vote for him, I don't feel safe with him as Commander in Chief. He want's to sit down with Hamas and Iran. These people are animals, they only understand one thing. Think about the parents and wives that sat and watched their loved ones heads being sawed off by these people, and he wants to sit down with them. Paaaaleeeese.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:17 PM

646 posts, read 1,640,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drageeda View Post
You would think the second coming has arrived. How can so many people be so hyped up about Obama when he hasn't even done anything yet. I didn't vote for him, I don't feel safe with him as Commander in Chief. He want's to sit down with Hamas and Iran. These people are animals, they only understand one thing. Think about the parents and wives that sat and watched their loved ones heads being sawed off by these people, and he wants to sit down with them. Paaaaleeeese.

Considering Obama has already won a major legislative victory while not even sworn in yet with the second half of the TARP money getting passed. I think its a clear indication of his ability to get things done and how much support he has. 8 years of not speaking to our enemies has made us all less safer. You have to engage. While we were ignoring North Korea, Iran, and others they were developing weapons. The silent treatment doesn't really work in a world with nuclear weapons my friend. It's time to get tough but get involved, not isolated.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:23 PM

998 posts, read 1,333,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drageeda View Post
I'd think that's the only thing you can do - mark an 'X' on a piece of paper seeing as to how illiterate you are. You don't know shiit about Iran or Hamas frankly its pathetic.

Anyway...on the economy level, i'm sure the whole world is holding its breath and hoping that obama can pull it off...else all of us, not just the US are going to be facing even more job losses etc..
Sad to say though...nothing will change for the Middle East situation as the puppet may change but the puppet master still pulls the strings.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:05 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,017,002 times
I'm so irritated b'c I want to watch other news and that's all that's on. The news these days latches on to one story and they can't let go to update on other news.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:08 PM

998 posts, read 1,333,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I'm so irritated b'c I want to watch other news and that's all that's on. The news these days latches on to one story and they can't let go to update on other news.
With the kind of news we're getting these days (war, economy) im surprised you would even want to read or watch the news

Old 01-18-2009, 02:18 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,017,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
With the kind of news we're getting these days (war, economy) im surprised you would even want to read or watch the news
It's not so much want as it is necessity. I want to know what's going on in the world, especially Israel. I never watched an inauguration in my life and now there'll be no end in sight for days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections