Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 10:22 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,380,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I voted for Obama and was really touched watching the night he was named to be the next president. It will be a night I will remember forever BUT I gotta admit the hype right now is outta control. Can he spend one week in the white house before we say he is the greatest thing ever. I thought the pre hype and media bias before the election was terrible....it keeps getting worse! I hope he does live up to all this hype but I don't think any human being could especially a politician which regardless of his race must sell his soul to be elected.
Voice of reason.

The scary thing is that if someone on here says something about Obama that is NOT in a shining light, the sword of wrath comes down on them - even if it is not a negative thing but just questioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:08 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,938,121 times
Whats sad is that if he doesn't turn everything around in his first year in office most folks are going to turn on him so fast his head will spin. Bush bashing garnered huge ratings for the better part of 6 years. The media is going to need a new scapegoat once Bush leaves office. The media is going to need to fill that void.

I'll be honest, I didn't vote for the man and have grave misgivings about our future with him as President but I hope and pray he proves me wrong. I just think he's going to get crucified once one or two things go wrong (things always do) by our "want everything yesterday" society.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 AM

956 posts, read 1,235,945 times
The problem with the hype is that no mortal man can live up to the expectation that has been created by 'mad men'. I find myself sympathetic with Barack Obama because I think he's tried to calm it since he knows he can't live up to it given the state of the world.

But unfortunately it was created mostly by the media and it became a runaway train. Now there's no stopping it. So a large percentage of America, who bought into it all, is in for a huge disappointment and it's not Obama's fault.

I had hoped that just the positive expectation alone would be a promise for our future. And had it been a bit more restrained, it might have been. But this is just ridiculous. So many pictures of Obama are shot from the ground up with the sky as a background. C'mon!!!!

So those who would make him King may have shot themselves in the foot. When you place someone that high, there's nowhere to go but down.

Still, my hope is that Obama will do well enough, that we start to make our way back and the masses don't hold Obama accountable for the promises of others. If they do, he will be seen as a failed President even if he isn't. And none of us wants him to fail because if he does, so do we.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:15 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,856,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I would also like to know how you can assume he will be better.

Do you have a crystal ball a little bird whispering in your ear?

How do you know who is sick of Bush.

Talking about ratings Congress has the lowest EVER and they are Dem majority the last 2 years!
This is really the heart of the matter. Bush has been the poster boy for things gone wrong in this country but the reality is that most of the economic decline is attributable to policies enacted by the heavily-Democratic congress. The president does not set policy. It will be interesting to see the shift in blame take place once Obama is in office - suddenly the finger-pointing will begin to be directed to where it really belongs - our disasterous congress. This shift in blame will be solely on the basis of Bush's departure and not due to any functional changes in the way policy is made.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:15 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,411,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It's pretty hard to imagine how ANYONE could do worse.

No, I have 50+ years of observing Presidents and can definitely say that I have NEVER seen such incompetence in office as I have in this administration

Specifically "who"?
I don't.

Overall "who"?
Almost the entire country - no, make that almost the entire world.

I cracks me up that you folks CONTINUE to bring up low approval rating of Congress as if that somehow scores any points for the GOP - conveniently overlooking the fact that Congress is made up of members of BOTH parties and the low approval ratings reflect unhappiness with BOTH parties. Republicans rate it low because the Democrats have a majority, while Democrats rate it low because there are still too many Republicans there.

Need I remind you WHICH party saw gains in Congress (and which one saw losses) these past 2 elections?

THAT reflects the publics' opinion of WHO they dislike in Congress - and WHO they PREFER.

Ken

"I cracks me up that you folks CONTINUE to bring up low approval rating of Congress as if that somehow scores any points for the GOP - conveniently overlooking the fact that Congress is made up of members of BOTH parties and the low approval ratings reflect unhappiness with BOTH parties. Republicans rate it low because the Democrats have a majority, while Democrats rate it low because there are still too many Republicans there."

"Need I remind you WHICH party saw gains in Congress (and which one saw losses) these past 2 elections?"

"THAT reflects the publics' opinion of WHO they dislike in Congress - and WHO they PREFER."

I'm having a little trouble understanding your logic, Ken. Are you saying that the public prefers Democrats and since we have more Democrats the approval rating for congress is lower because the public approves of Democrats?

Congressional Approval Hits Record-Low 14%

Actually Republicans and Independents have been pretty consistent. The big shift seems to be driven by Democrats who are disenchanted with their own party, at least as of July when this poll was published.

I expect the reason for the disparity in the numbers is really a difference in the fundamental view of government between conservatives and liberals. Since the nation is in a bad spot right now, Democrats look to the government to solve all the nation's woes. They sent a bumper crop of Democrats to DC to fix everything they don't like. The Democrats have failed to deliver and now the liberals are very upset. I guess they don't get it. Government is the cause of most our problems and not the solution. Think liberals will pick up on that?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,415,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I suspect it will die down after the inauguration.

The Daily Show and Colbert Report have capitalized on the media obsession with Barack Obama and his family.
Wow! what high standards these two programs bring to impartial and accurate news coverage. No wonder the hoi polloi votes Democrat.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:24 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,415,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdestroyedlife View Post
Bush was a cancer to the united states, his goal was to make his friends alot of money and he was successful , if America had no president and it was all anarchy it would be better then the cancer we faced in this disgraced once upon a time country that the bush family gave us the last 8 years

Moderator cut: this is going a bit too far...
Don't know what the moderator cut, but from what I see the whole post should have been cut. This is just such nonsense!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:28 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,340,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Whats sad is that if he doesn't turn everything around in his first year in office most folks are going to turn on him so fast his head will spin. Bush bashing garnered huge ratings for the better part of 6 years. The media is going to need a new scapegoat once Bush leaves office. The media is going to need to fill that void.
I disagree. The Obamedia is heavily invested in Obama and will remain his cheerleaders regardless. Just b/c Bush is leaving office does not mean that the media will stop blaming him for our failures. The unfortunate part is that the citizens are dumb enough to believe.

Here's the strategy: if things improve, Obama gets all the credit. If they stay bad or get worse, Bush gets the blame. The Obamedia has already convinced the public that things can NOT get any worse than they are now, which is utterly false.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,648,535 times
I'm sick to death of the hype! Hearing about how much is being spent on the inaugeration party, all the extra security, the new Obamamobile...ARRRRG. Lets just get it over with shall we.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,877,477 times
Very true about the media... they blamed Bush for bailing out the automakers but they seem to forget it was Obama that demanded Bush to bail them out, even meeting with Bush to discuss it even though Bush didn't want to... so Obama changed Bush's mind and the media blames Bush for bailing out GM... funny... even the Obama fans blame Bush for it... even funnier...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections