Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Obama is doing an excellent job even if he is not pursuing progressive policies with as much fervor as I would like so I do not see the Democrats giving "back" any of the states that went for Obama last year.
The democrats don't have to give back anything, the citizens of those states will decide that.

The reason NC, FL, and VA went blue in '08 was the very high black turnout for Obama (especially in NC). I predict in the midterms next year those states will go back to voting "red" since Obama wont be running, but who knows about 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 03:42 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
What states that currently vote red do you think will turn (or stay) blue in 2012?

Ones I think will stay Blue
VA
NC
FL

Red going Blue
AZ
GA
WV

I cant think of any long time Blue states turning Red (WV did for this election, not sure if it will stay)
I've got family in Northern Virginia and I spent a month there campaigning for Obama. I think that VA will stay blue because the fastest growing part of VA is Northern Virginia, which is one of the states Democratic strongholds. There is also a large hispanic population in NVA consisting of alot of recent immigrants. As more of these immigrants become citizens, I think this will tilt VA even more in the Dems favor.

I really don't know what you meant by West Virginia as red going blue. Really it was one of the bluest states in the country; while people there have always had conservative social values, on the bread and butter issues they historically have leaned to the left. However, in the last 3 elections West Virginia has gone red. I think this has to do with a few factors. First, the Democrats have become way to big business friendly to the point where they side with big business over workers. Second, West Virginia is a coal producing state and I bet alot of this green energy stuff scares them. Although I do support going green, they have a legitimate concern over what is going to happen to all the coal miners; this will be a challange for the Dems to try and go green without causing major economic damage to coal miners. Third, the state is predominantly white. I think that there are some racist people and even more people that have negative misconceptions of black people and alot of them didn't vote for Obama because he's black.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:01 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,380,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
What states that currently vote red do you think will turn (or stay) blue in 2012?
Red going Blue
AZ
GA
WV

I cant think of any long time Blue states turning Red (WV did for this election, not sure if it will stay)
People in WV highly value our individual rights and freedoms.
We'll be voting for the party that
1. Doesn't declare economic war on our state
2. That isn't out to further restrict the rights of US citizens
3. That isn't out to increase government involvement and control in the lives of US citizens

Whaaaat is up with the Democratic party? When did it change so much?

When I old enough to vote, I registered Democrat (I still am). Way back then they were "for the people", now they have gone from being "for the people" to being "for the government, the heck with the people cuz the people are too stupid to make any decisions on their own".

BTW - In the majority of WV, if you aren't Democrat then don't even bother running for state/local office. You won't get elected unless you are a Democrat.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Don't blame the media, blame the lack of any clear message offered by the GOP. .
It's a little hard to get a clear message offered by the GOP when the media won't carry it.

The mainstream media has had their own agenda.
The amount of bias over the last year has been staggering.

We still hear of the Yellow Journalism of the late 1800's/early 1900's.
I wonder what the current period of journalism will be called in the future?

Plus there is the whole GE thing with it's owning NBC & MSNBC, it's campaign donations, investments in Obama's plans concerning energy, etc.

Just a couple. These from Fall/Winter 2008:
Media Credibility Plummets, Just 30% Believe 'Most Trusted' CNN Media Credibility Plummets, Just 30% Believe 'Most Trusted' CNN --8/19/2008-- Media Research Center
and
Washington Post Admits Bias Towards Obama | NewsBusters.org

Old 07-22-2009, 06:52 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,717,269 times
When mainstream Republicans abandoned the GOP to the Limbaugh Loonies it became a laughing stock. The elected Republicans find themselves having to kowtow to Limbaugh and look totally confused. I'm not big on the Democrats but if the best the GOP can offer is McCain I can't support them.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:13 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times
Obama's bad stock market in Jan. and Feb. simply opened up the stock market to make it easier for smart investers to buy low and sell high. For instance, stock in Ford has tripled since February.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:48 PM

763 posts, read 1,299,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
You're right on that one. Fear and hate spread by McCain/Palin was instrumental in getting Obama elected. People got really tired of it.
No, fear and hate spewed by the Dems and smear tactics by the left wing TV media of others (even Hillary in their OWN party) got Obama elected. Don't let your partisan bias blind you

Old 07-23-2009, 06:19 AM

This website has a collection of links to stories which cover the media bias of the press in support of Obama ..... News Media Bias in President Obama's Favor

One story:
Quote:
Time magazine editor-at-large Mark Halperin recently caused a stir when he took his fellow scribes to task for tilting toward Obama during their campaign coverage.
"It's the most disgusting failure of people in our business ..........."It was extreme bias--extreme pro-Obama coverage." The Prevalence Of Media Bias - Forbes.com

Old 07-23-2009, 10:10 PM

844 posts, read 1,281,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
This website has a collection of links to stories which cover the media bias of the press in support of Obama ..... News Media Bias in President Obama's Favor

One story:
Media bias is inescapable. MSNBC and CBS will usually be pro Obama on everything. FOX and ABC will be pro republican. Media neutrality disappeared with the invention of 24 hour news networks that need commercials to support themselves.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:29 AM

That's true to a point but I don't ever remember a comparable media "love affair" with a President.
As to ABC - haven't seen pro-republican for the last year.

Anyone else remember any comparable media bias of other Presidents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections