Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times

Advertisements

Yeah, when we coronated John Kennedey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 06:16 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,205,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
ABC will be pro republican.
Huh? You mean like George Snuffleupagus? When has ABC ever been "pro-Republican?"

As for Fox News, despite the vitriole from the hardcore left, Fox isn't afraid to expose the truth without candy coating or burying it on page 20. The left is used to the filtered news they get that tells the story they want to hear, so anything that moves away and toward objectivity is "biased" in their minds.

What I find so hilarious is the notion proposed by the real wackos on the left that Fox News has some kind of mind control on people and that its broadcasts are some kind of "marching orders" that mindless conservatives internalize and act upon.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:10 PM

844 posts, read 1,281,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
That's true to a point but I don't ever remember a comparable media "love affair" with a President.
As to ABC - haven't seen pro-republican for the last year.

Anyone else remember any comparable media bias of other Presidents?
Bush in 2004, Reagan in 1984, Kennedy in 1960 are probably the best most recent examples. FDR was pretty popular as well, but had a fair share of famous radio based detractors (sounds familiar). Eisenhower and Hoover as well as initially popular, as was Teddy Roosevelt.

Medias pick sides like everyone else, and 9 times outof ten, if you supported the guy who lost, you are going to yell foul, if you supported the guy who won, youll yell 'fair'.

Its a crappy side effect to our tremendously flawed two party non-parliamentarian system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil
Huh? You mean like George Snuffleupagus? When has ABC ever been "pro-Republican?"

As for Fox News, despite the vitriole from the hardcore left, Fox isn't afraid to expose the truth without candy coating or burying it on page 20. The left is used to the filtered news they get that tells the story they want to hear, so anything that moves away and toward objectivity is "biased" in their minds.
ABC has always been republican learning due to its very conservative ownership and programming. The same network that kicked ellen off the air for saying she was gay, and fired Bill Maher for questioning 9/11, that has multiple pro-life based TV shows and is gearing up a very clearly anti-obama V-remake (ugh...I cant stand any more remakes of old shows on TV, but thats another topic). Buena Vista/Disney/ABC has always been a more conservative learning conglomerate overall. They are essentially the right of center version of NBC's left of center.

Im sorry to tell you but if you are from the right, of course Fox is going to seem 'balanced' and ABC will seem left. People on the left swear by MSNBC being balanced and CBS/CNN being right, or 'fox-lite' as they call them.

Looking objectively, Fox is nowhere near center, or even right center. In the same ideal, MSNBC is nowhere near center or center left. Both are pretty far out there, occasionally falling into 'extreme', but not remaining there.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:17 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,491,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
What states that currently vote red do you think will turn (or stay) blue in 2012?

Ones I think will stay Blue
VA
NC
FL

Red going Blue
AZ
GA
WV

I cant think of any long time Blue states turning Red (WV did for this election, not sure if it will stay)
WV stayed red this election, not sure if you meant CO or NM instead?

I think VA and FL will stay blue and without McCain AZ might go blue as well I wouldn't be too shocked if MO did also. The Republicans have a good chance of taking back NC and IN if they field an acceptable candidate and/or Obama perfoms badly. Everything turns on two things: the economy, and who is on the Republican ticket.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:19 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,491,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
What I find so hilarious is the notion proposed by the real wackos on the left that Fox News has some kind of mind control on people and that its broadcasts are some kind of "marching orders" that mindless conservatives internalize and act upon.
I certainly don't subscribe to that view. I think it's more an issue of Fox and its viewers being kindred pigs watering at the same trough.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:56 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,100,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
What states that currently vote red do you think will turn (or stay) blue in 2012?

Ones I think will stay Blue: VA, NC,FL

Red states going Blue: AZ, GA, WV

I cant think of any long time Blue states turning Red (WV did for this election, not sure if it will stay)
IMO, AZ may have gone blue in 2008 if McCain of AZ had not been the GOP candidate. I think WV could easily go blue, it has in the past, notably so for JFK. With many retirees from blue states heading for AZ and GA, it is ever-more possible to see them go blue.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections