Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 05:02 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,616 times

Advertisements

I love it that my 2003 Taurus have the CD radio in it. I can burn my fav hits together on several CDs and play em.

My car has less than 100K in it. Only a couple more hundred miles to hit it.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:17 AM

47 posts, read 18,169 times
Nah, I don't bother. I'm all digital now.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:49 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
Nah, I don't bother. I'm all digital now.
Good for you when you lose it all...

Folks I think we should do an age thing with this physical vs digital media.

State your age(or nearest decade), and whether you are all physical, mixed phys/digital, or all digital.
Just curious about something.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:14 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post

Folks I think we should do an age thing with this physical vs digital media.

State your age(or nearest decade), and whether you are all physical, mixed phys/digital, or all digital.
Just curious about something.
I'm 65. I've been using a computer daily at work since the early 70s. I've owned a PC since the early 80s, and I've been digital with my personal information since then as well. I wouldn't mind going all digital.

However, I've learned the hard way that I can't depend on companies to keep the things I like to watch always available. I've seen too many things available for a while, then dropped from their playlists.

I've learned that a lot of things I like aren't even available online at all--I have no choice but to purchase physical media if I want to enjoy them.

And I've experienced "cloud failures" as well.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:21 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,616 times
Physical media means you're not at the whims of others...

I'm 68 and I kept my albums and cassettes tapes of my 70s collections. I also have over 1100+ movie DVDs and big collection of TV seasons.

Digital contents is great and I enjoy my Amazon Prime but sometimes some of my list get removed while I'm in a middle of the season. As I found out, they come and go.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:32 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Mid-40's and all digital. I don't want collections of ANYTHING cluttering my home. Being weighed down with all that carp isn't worth it to own some obscure recording that I'll probably forget I own because it will be lost among thousands of other recordings, and will probably never be listened to again.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
And when your home burns down or a tornado blows through and you lose all your physical recordings? I bet there are some folks in California who wished they could have grabbed a hard drive with all of their music and video before evacuating.

Neither method is completely safe. Let's take that out of the equation. There's always a risk of losing your entire collection whether it's physical or digital.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:35 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Mid-40's and all digital. I don't want collections of ANYTHING cluttering my home. Being weighed down with all that carp isn't worth it to own some obscure recording that I'll probably forget I own because it will be lost among thousands of other recordings, and will probably never be listened to again.
That bespeaks another question: Why have "thousands of recordings" even if digital? Who goes through thousands of anything more than once? Of course you'll forget you own them.

There aren't that many things I like enough to watch them more than once, so even though I keep physical media, it's just not going to be that much. If I'm not going to play it repeatedly, I won't keep it. What I keep, I enjoy repeatedly.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That bespeaks another question: Why have "thousands of recordings" even if digital? Who goes through thousands of anything more than once? Of course you'll forget you own them.

There aren't that many things I like enough to watch them more than once, so even though I keep physical media, it's just not going to be that much. If I'm not going to play it repeatedly, I won't keep it. What I keep, I enjoy repeatedly.
I think people just like to brag about the size of their ... collections.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:42 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think people just like to brag about the size of their ... collections.
I'm not one of them. The size of my collection, personally, reflects my musical and visual tastes, passions, and interests. No bragging rights here!

Daily Wisdom: Icebergs do not like ship-owners that brag a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts