Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:40 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times

Advertisements

Then why did a pagan city employee get them banned from city hall? Or maybe she was Jewish now that I think about it.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,623,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
What insult would that be? I don't recall tossing any insults around. If I insult you, you will know it. It seems the Godless always find insult in everything. Like Christmas Trees.
Did you not call me a pig? Or did I misunderstand you?

Plus, who ever said I was godless? Probably not your approved god though.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:34 PM

You did and I did not. You missed the point of the parable completely.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:41 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times
I love Steve Pickering - your absolutism is truly absolute.

You passively called another poster a pig whether or not you want to admit that is on you.

I do really like that quote about pigs, though! I mean that

Old 02-10-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I love Steve Pickering - your absolutism is truly absolute.

You passively called another poster a pig whether or not you want to admit that is on you.

I do really like that quote about pigs, though! I mean that

I called no one a pig. I gave a parable as told me by a still very prominate Oregon Legislator who was one of my mentors when I decided to take a run at first Airport Board, second City Council, then County Commissioner and last time was Mayor. I may run for State Legislature next.

Let me explain it to those who missed the point. "Don't argue with some people, they enjoy it and you gain nothing. You only lower yourself to their level (the mud)." Hence the parable "Don't wrestle with a pig in the mud. The pig enjoys it.".

Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times
Quote:
What insult would that be? I don't recall tossing any insults around. If I insult you, you will know it. It seems the Godless always find insult in everything. Like Christmas Trees.
Huh? Christmas trees were a pagan Solstice celebratory symbol that was co-opted by Christianity to make the religion more palatable to them. Why would godless people find insult in Christmas trees? It's rigid fundamentalists like the Jehovah's Witnesses who refuse to have Christmas trees just for that reason.

Also, when you use a parable about wrestling with a pig to excuse yourself from debating with someone who disagrees with you, yes, you are indirectly comparing them to a pig.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM

731 posts, read 678,193 times
My great aunt May, Texas ranching woman, taught me a parable "When you monkey with manure you get it on you". Immortal words not an insult.

It seems to me that the PM might be one of the 'quiet light on the hill' types of christian and will get along fine in Eugene. This thread has brought out all kinds of intolerance from both sides. Atheism is a religion too. Beievers cannot prove there is a god. Atheists cannot prove there isn't one.

People since the beginning of time have felt inside themselves a great mystery they cannot explain. So they make up all kinds of quaint fairy tales that fit the times called religions. Then they fight and even kill each other over who's fairy tale is right. It is very human to try to explain the unexplainable.

Meanwhile, it is also very human to try to find 'facts' the irreligious can hang their hat on. This is called science. People like to feel secure in this knowlege. Mystery and Insecurity, these are the two great driving influences of the human.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
My great aunt May, Texas ranching woman, taught me a parable "When you monkey with manure you get it on you". Immortal words not an insult.

It seems to me that the PM might be one of the 'quiet light on the hill' types of christian and will get along fine in Eugene. This thread has brought out all kinds of intolerance from both sides. Atheism is a religion too. Beievers cannot prove there is a god. Atheists cannot prove there isn't one.

People since the beginning of time have felt inside themselves a great mystery they cannot explain. So they make up all kinds of quaint fairy tales that fit the times called religions. Then they fight and even kill each other over who's fairy tale is right. It is very human to try to explain the unexplainable.

Meanwhile, it is also very human to try to find 'facts' the irreligious can hang their hat on. This is called science. People like to feel secure in this knowlege. Mystery and Insecurity, these are the two great driving influences of the human.
Well said...

Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times
It was well said. That's why agnosticism is the most reasonable approach. Absolutes/fundementalism destroy the mind. Both ends of the spectrum are unreasonable, whether you're an atheist or a dogmatic believer.

'The only thing I know is that I know nothing'. -Socrates

Embrace the beauty of the unknown....

Humility before your 'God', whatever that might be, is key, ya'll.

So it goes.....

Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,623,546 times
Quote:
I called no one a pig. I gave a parable as told me by a still very prominate Oregon Legislator who was one of my mentors when I decided to take a run at first Airport Board, second City Council, then County Commissioner and last time was Mayor. I may run for State Legislature next.

Let me explain it to those who missed the point. "Don't argue with some people, they enjoy it and you gain nothing. You only lower yourself to their level (the mud)." Hence the parable "Don't wrestle with a pig in the mud. The pig enjoys it.".
How is this not calling me a pig? However you wordsmith it, you are comparing me to a pig.

I'm praying for you that you lose the oustized sense of pride that you have (#7 on the list of seven deadly sins, by the way) and learn some Christlike humility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area