Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:35 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times

Advertisements

Many American men have macho insecurity complexes. Buzz cuts, shaved heads, t-shirts with sleeves ripped off, struts, postures, afraid to express themselves in ways that may not be considered macho. Then there are the accessories such as horsepower cars, motorcycles, boots, leather, moustaches, head scarves, etc.
I lived in Germany for 18 years and traveled within Europe. Although some German men seem to have macho insecurities I saw much less of the macho types as in America. The European men are more confident and natural, they let their hair grow longer, don't strut when walking, and dress casually.
American men try so hard to be machos that they represent bizarre caricatures of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
In my experience, I don't find this to necessarily be the case. It is true to an extent - I mean, an American man would never be caught dead wearing a Speedo for one thing - but there is plenty of machismo to be found in Europe. I know very little about Germany, but some of the most hyper-macho guys I've encountered have been in Italy, England, and France. I find that the machismo is especially noticeable with teenagers; more so than in the United States, for the most part. It may have been different in the past, but today it seems that American males are more likely to grow their hair out than their European counterparts. Macho struts and postures are definitely apparent in Europe, too.

As for some of the other things - cars, boots, leather - I think those are probably more cultural than anything else. While European men may not obsess over cars in the same way that some Americans do, there are ultra-masculine associations with football (soccer), rugby, etc. Leather and boots are already worn by everyone (women included) in France and Italy, so they aren't seen as specifically masculine. Just replace those clothing items with a tracksuit and you have your macho equivalent in Europe.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:11 AM

174 posts, read 372,914 times
I don't know - most American men I've met don't seem bothered, but perhaps that's because they're the sort of blokes who come over here. I do notice that a tremendous number of American men seem to go on and on and on about 'asses', which seems suspicious. Perhaps it's just a cultural thing though.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:13 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Many American men have macho insecurity complexes. Buzz cuts, shaved heads, t-shirts with sleeves ripped off, struts, postures, afraid to express themselves in ways that may not be considered macho. Then there are the accessories such as horsepower cars, motorcycles, boots, leather, moustaches, head scarves, etc.
I lived in Germany for 18 years and traveled within Europe. Although some German men seem to have macho insecurities I saw much less of the macho types as in America. The European men are more confident and natural, they let their hair grow longer, don't strut when walking, and dress casually.
American men try so hard to be machos that they represent bizarre caricatures of themselves.
You have some truly bizarre interpretations of what constitutes "macho insecurity complexes". Martin Luther King had a buzz cut and moustache.

Seriously, sounds like you were raised by carnies and hung around too many county fairs. Have fun in europe.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:41 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
The description you gave doesn't constitute insecurity issues. Also, the majority of American men don't have shaved heads, t-shirts with the sleeves cut off, or buzz cuts unless the are in the military. I think you've been watching too much Reno 911 lol. America has hillbilly rednecks, while Europe has eurotrash. I think everyone knows the description of both terms. I also think people have enough common sense to realize that neither make up the majority or even come close.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:21 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The description you gave doesn't constitute insecurity issues. Also, the majority of American men don't have shaved heads, t-shirts with the sleeves cut off, or buzz cuts unless the are in the military. I think you've been watching too much Reno 911 lol. America has hillbilly rednecks, while Europe has eurotrash. I think everyone knows the description of both terms. I also think people have enough common sense to realize that neither make up the majority or even come close.
Plenty of American men have shaved heads and buzz cuts. But you're right, such characteristics may be more evident among blue collars.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:37 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Yes. Some people have enough common sense.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Well, you are in Germany, so I would imagine that 99% of the Americans you see are enlisted soldiers.

Soldier life is its own unique little world. If you meet other soldiers from other nations, you'll see the exact same kind of people. It comes with training how to fight, kill, survive, etc.

Generally speaking, in the United States. White Americans are generally NOT macho at all. Especially the 'educated' ones. We've had 50 years of feminism, and most educated American women hate machoism, so men can't adequately display it - in educated circles. It is also very politically correct in the States, and being macho is not popular. However, in the military it is completely different. Another place its different is among our Latino population. You'll see plenty of what educated white 'feminist-leaning' women would call 'insecure' men acting macho. However, in those communities, it seems that latina women like the macho guys. I've also noticed it among Korean men - a macho element. Gang-culture would certainly have elements of it.

My guess is that you are in Germany, and you have a college education, and you hang around educated German men. Then you are hitting American military bars or hangouts like that, and judging all Americans to be like the military guys. But honestly speaking, if you went to a German armed forces type of place, you'd see the exact same kind of people who are Germans as well.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 11-23-2010 at 08:39 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 08:52 PM

6,044 posts, read 5,952,208 times
Quote:
The shaved head look is rather common in certain circles in England.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Buzz cuts, shaved heads, t-shirts with sleeves ripped off, struts, postures, afraid to express themselves in ways that may not be considered macho. Then there are the accessories such as horsepower cars, motorcycles, boots, leather, moustaches, head scarves, etc.
Also, as an American, I have NEVER had any of those looks or accessories...ever. I seldom see them, but this is an AMERICAN's perspectice when he does OCCASSIONALLY see the things you describe:

buzz cut - U.S. Military.
shaved head - black guy, skinhead guy, or balding white guy shaving the rest off
sleeves ripped off - meathead (slang for 'guy trying to look tough'), or gym addict
struts - ghetto or yuppie (who attended George Bush Walking School)
horsepower cars - mechanically-inclined kids not on a college track
motorcyles - freedom
boots - gay, or biker
leather - gay, or biker, or rocker
moutstaches - gay, or policeman, military
head scarves - biker, or guitar player, or muscle-head (goes with sleeves ripped off)

Basically they are FEW and FAR BETWEEN in the States...but when we DO see those types, this is usually what we think of...

Again, I think you are just seeing a lot of U.S. military guys, which would generally be the kinds to also exhibit those traits. They would certainly NEVER be what I would call a trait of most Americans, and I have also seen PLENTY of Europeans with the exact same traits.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 11-23-2010 at 09:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe