Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
This may put US schools in a worse light.

There are still some differences among them, but some rural school may easily be better in everything than some school in Moscow. Of course, there are also soon to be closed schools in dying villages, that may not be up to any standards - but thats exceptions.
Thread started. By the way, I started out by using my hometown school in a farming village of 4500 people.
Russian schools are not standardized. Go to school 13 (Pervaya Morskaya) and then school 63 (V'toraya Rechka) in Vladivostok; they are very different in terms of infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
I can take pictures of Kamchatka Many schools if anyone wants?
Grey, that would be awesome! Please post on the thread I started.
Thanks

Old 10-14-2012, 11:11 AM

317 posts, read 412,720 times
All it takes is pictures now to prove a point? Well, in that case...step aside:

Here's my house

Moderator cut: image removed

I'd show you some other pictures but this is a family channel. But let me share one more picture of the storage room at the family gold mine

Since I've demonstrated such uncontroversial proof, if any of you want to invest in said mine I can let you become an investor for just 1000e per share. Just let me know and I'll have my people sort out the particulars.

Returning to the topic of schools, honestly, watching the Russians and Americans trade barbs is a bit like listening to two college roommates argue about who didn't go home with the ugliest chick last night. Show all the photos you like, it doesn't matter if your schools are fitted with fiber optic, Mac Airs and Starck furniture. Neither country's schools are performing where it counts.

For it's faults, the PISA rankings offer the only objective measure of international school performance and neither Russia nor America have anything to be proud of. And that's not to mention the fact that both countries are actually getting worse year on year.

Programme for International Student Assessment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Marka; 01-10-2014 at 04:27 AM..

Old 10-14-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
All it takes is pictures now to prove a point? Well, in that case...step aside:

Here's my house

Here's a picture of the wife with my car

Here are my abs

I'd show you some other pictures but this is a family channel. But let me share one more picture of the storage room at the family gold mine

Since I've demonstrated such uncontroversial proof, if any of you want to invest in said mine I can let you become an investor for just 1000e per share. Just let me know and I'll have my people sort out the particulars.

Returning to the topic of schools, honestly, watching the Russians and Americans trade barbs is a bit like listening to two college roommates argue about who didn't go home with the ugliest chick last night. Show all the photos you like, it doesn't matter if your schools are fitted with fiber optic, Mac Airs and Starck furniture. Neither country's schools are performing where it counts.

For it's faults, the PISA rankings offer the only objective measure of international school performance and neither Russia nor America have anything to be proud of. And that's not to mention the fact that both countries are actually getting worse year on year.

Programme for International Student Assessment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, if that was actually your house, wife, car, etc. I'm rather sure I could tell a lot about the quality of life your life, no?
Our discussion has not been about the quality of education (I would be perfectly happy discussing that), but about the infrastructure of the schools. So the latter part of your post is a non-sequitur.
If you don't like the arguments, there are many other threads out there to enjoy. Why do through the stress?
In any case, this is my last post on this thread about this subject, so you can rest easy.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:27 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
The many ascetic and often mold-infested schools in Finland would probably qualify as looking like prisons or concentration camps to most, though they still seem to accomplish what they are built for.
DING DING DING! This is what counts! As I recall, Finland is one of the leaders in international ratings for math and science teaching. Maybe the US needs more moldy classrooms... Maybe there's something in the mold...

Old 10-14-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
DING DING DING! This is what counts! As I recall, Finland is one of the leaders in international ratings for math and science teaching. Maybe the US needs more moldy classrooms... Maybe there's something in the mold...
Finland's educational success is dependent on a number of factors, including class sizes, having the same teacher for a long time, every teacher having post-graduate education, a relatively homogeneous society, among other things.
I have never been to a Finnish school, so I don't know the state of their schools' infrastructures. I would love to see them.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:36 AM

317 posts, read 412,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Well, if that was actually your house, wife, car, etc. I'm rather sure I could tell a lot about the quality of life your life, no?
Our discussion has not been about the quality of education (I would be perfectly happy discussing that), but about the infrastructure of the schools. So the latter part of your post is a non-sequitur.
If you don't like the arguments, there are many other threads out there to enjoy. Why do through the stress?
In any case, this is my last post on this thread about this subject, so you can rest easy.
On the contrary. The latter half of my post is a total flaming sequitor. And my humble contribution to this discussion is that the infrastructure is completely irrelevant if it doesn't actually contribute to the function that schools are intended to serve, namely, academic performance.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:45 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Finland's educational success is dependent on a number of factors, including class sizes, having the same teacher for a long time, every teacher having post-graduate education, a relatively homogeneous society, among other things.
Well, now it's getting interesting around here. Finland clearly invests more in education (better teacher pay, obviously, if they require everyone to have a post-grad education) and more teachers, to keep class sizes down. But a fairly homogeneous population makes a big difference, too. I wonder how the Saami schools perform on national tests.

Hey, jeff, ya gotta give Smails some credit for introducing some desperately-needed comic relief (and some sharp visual commentary) to the thread.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:27 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post

Its not your typical picture war. Jeff actually knows Russian realities, he is an American who lives in Russia.

Yes American public schools face a lot of problems but at least we have the best colleges in the world: Harvard, MIT, Yale, Princeton and many others are usually considered top research universities in the world.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:30 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,096 times
Quote:
Russian schools are not standardized. Go to school 13 (Pervaya Morskaya) and then school 63 (V'toraya Rechka) in Vladivostok; they are very different in terms of infrastructure.
And which one is worse?

13:

63:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe