Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:41 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times

Advertisements

Have never spent time in Bavaria, but would like to. Maybe I can explain the importance of dialect using the Texas analogy - if a foreign person learned to speak English with a strong New York accent, how well do you think that would go down in Texas?!

What can I say, Munich is the HQ of BMW - so to us Bimmerheads, it's essentially Mecca...

In Germany, it's actually *against the law* to make bad beer.

So, brush up your proper Bavarian dialect of German, learn to drive like a proper German, and - enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 08:11 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What can I say, Munich is the HQ of BMW - so to us Bimmerheads, it's essentially Mecca...
A friend who lives in Eastern Germany visited, and the first thing she mentioned was how many BMWs she saw in our area (plus the two in our garage). I never realized that because I see it every day.

Quote:
In Germany, it's actually *against the law* to make bad beer.
That's true. We have a law called "Reinheitsgebot" about which ingrediences are allowed in beer. Very few actually.

Quote:
So, brush up your proper Bavarian dialect of German, learn to drive like a proper German, and - enjoy!
I never managed to speak Bavarian dialect (and if I tried it would sound silly) and still, after 20 years in the Munic area, I find it hard to understand some natives.
Don't know how a proper German drives, tho. Some drive good, some bad, it's just like in the U.S.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:00 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,201,103 times
I visited Munich back in 2000 and loved it there! Nice people and great food.:-)

Old 08-28-2009, 12:12 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Quote:
Unless you are born and raised there (in the *heart of Bavaria*),
or, you were raised there from a very young age, and attended the local schools,
you will NEVER make it in *urbayerisch*.
Been there, done that.
I have lived and worked there (in the heart of Bavaria) a long time
and I still can not speak *their language !!!
(It is NOT a dialect !!! )

OTOH, what is exactly :
<<<learn to drive like a proper German>>>
Are there any Improper Germans ?????

While living and working in that area, I was once told:
Geesj,
you look like an Asian,
----(heck, you seen one, you've seen them all ???)
----(my Mother's Family is from Luebeck !!!)
you drive a German car,
----[uhuh, an Audi (you would NOT catch me in a BMW) licensed in Germany]
you have an American Driver's License,
----(Only for a year, then I got my German Lifetime one !!!!!)
you drive like an Italian,
----(Really ????, I guess I was aggressive enough to qualify for that classification)
----(Dang, come to think of it, I NEVER left my *left blinker* on forever ... )
and after all that, you are driving in Paris ?!?!?!?!?
----(I figured that driving in Paris, is totally insane, IF you can not make up your mind fast !!!)
----(You act first, then apologise ..... the ONLY way to drive in Paris ???)

Last edited by irman; 08-28-2009 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 12:59 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,078 times
^<ich will keinen porsche turbo?>

YouTube - Peter Kraus - Meine Schicki Micki Maus 2008

young and dynamic!
weltstadt mit

bussi!

Last edited by effie g-tad; 08-28-2009 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe