Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:30 PM

158 posts, read 382,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weizilla View Post
I actually moved to my current city without having been here before or knowing anyone. All I heard was that Chicago is a great city and the first job offer I got for it I took. I figured as long as I have some source of income and a backup plan (move home with Mom) why not take the risk and just move to a new country? Perhaps I just lucked out last time.

You all bring up a good point. I will plan some trips for visiting. I'm actually going to be in Berlin this fall for the marathon so I'll be sure to look at the city and ask myself if I could really live here. I think after this trip, I'd feel more comfortable taking week long trips around Europe.

It also seems like my worries about finding a job are not unfounded. Time to spend some extra hours learning new skills and a language!

I did not know about the Schengen Area thing but that's great!

Moving to another country (and another continent) is not the same as moving to Chicago, from wherever you used to live before. The cultural differences, the language, the birocracy you will go through at first as an immigrant...I can't even begin to tell you how many difficulties will come your way. The main being the working permit. Find a job, this way the company will take care of all the legal documents; you will still have to do your part, but they will be doing all the hard work.

Visiting is good, you definitely need to do this, but you won't get the feeling of how it is to really live in place until you just do it. I visited France 4 times before finally moving, I talked about it with my friends who already lived here for hours and hours; but the first few months I was still in a state of shock and wanted to get back home every day.

You say you are 27, you are definitely not to old to try this, it is just the right time, since you are not a child anymore, but, like you said, there are no babies or mortgages stopping you. However, I do sense a lack of maturity in your tone; when you mentioned that your backup plan if Chicago didn't work was moving back home, I kind of got the feeling that this is all a funny joke/ crazy experience for you. Experiencing is good when you are 21, at 27 you might want to be more serious about the planning.
When I left, I never considered returning an option, especially if it came from a place of defeat or surrender. If you are not decided enough, you won't make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 05:12 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,565,549 times
My brother, who lived in Canada for 20 years, tried last year to stay in several European countries and lived there for more than half a year, passing from country to country. He couldn't accomodate anywhere, but he's a special case, hating the office work (although an engineer).

I don't say that European lifestyle is not fitted for an American, there are Americans who feel better in Europe (including Romania, where several live for many years), but depends of each one's personality. Cutting your ties with America is not very wise, if this is what you want.

Also, some aspects may be better in Eastern Europe than in Western one, like less crime, better job opportunities, healthier food and natural environment, etc.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Do understand that living somewhere and visiting somewhere are quite different.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:59 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,934,838 times
If you think Chicago is a great city you'll love just about any random place in western Europe.

They are a strange breed though, these Europeans. They generally give social welfare to the poor, have universal health care for everybody, have cheap or free education, have the tendency to maintain their buildings, roads and bridges, have laws against driving around in cars which are falling apart, have low crime rates, have a working public transporation system and have 6 to 8 weeks of holidays each year. I would consider if you could get used to all that before moving there.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:28 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
If you think Chicago is a great city you'll love just about any random place in western Europe.

They are a strange breed though, these Europeans. They generally give social welfare to the poor, have universal health care for everybody, have cheap or free education, have the tendency to maintain their buildings, roads and bridges, have laws against driving around in cars which are falling apart, have low crime rates, have a working public transporation system and have 6 to 8 weeks of holidays each year. I would consider if you could get used to all that before moving there.
Are you talking about Mexico or the US? Maybe visit here first before making sweeping generalizations about my country. We're not Mexico here, you know.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 PM

255 posts, read 927,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Are you talking about Mexico or the US? Maybe visit here first before making sweeping generalizations about my country. We're not Mexico here, you know.
It's all true, having lived right by Pennsylvania.

You have to get used to the better life conditions. But that should be easy. The change to Italy was surprising, the crime here is actually much lower and be upkeep of the overall country is better. Wages seem similar, but your money goes farther here to me.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 AM

254 posts, read 316,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
It's all true, having lived right by Pennsylvania.

You have to get used to the better life conditions. But that should be easy. The change to Italy was surprising, the crime here is actually much lower and be upkeep of the overall country is better. Wages seem similar, but your money goes farther here to me.
Italy is one of the most corrupt European countries, with incredibly high taxes that yield very little in terms of actual benefits to the taxpayer.
Definitely not a good example of good quality of life.
Though we are talking about America here.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 AM

255 posts, read 927,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
Italy is one of the most corrupt European countries, with incredibly high taxes that yield very little in terms of actual benefits to the taxpayer.
Definitely not a good example of good quality of life.
Though we are talking about America here.
I completely agree. However... It's still better here, sadly.

Thankfully, if everything goes well, I should be in Denmark soon, and should be able to get citizenship by the length of my stay (college)

Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM

667 posts, read 940,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weizilla View Post
Also, I don't have a country picked out but I figured I'd move to one where it's easy to get a job, settle down then move some more.
West Germany is a nice destination, try firstly there.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:34 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,934,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There is a Chicago in Mexico too? Thanks for letting me know, I will be more location specific in my next posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe