Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM

71 posts, read 105,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
If you want to maybe live in Europe why not pack a backpack spend some time traveling, see the different parts, meet girls (or Guys) maybe find a job. The key is seeing places and meeting people. Anything is possible but you have to actually get out the door.
That's what i should as well. You will have a nice time with the back-pack. Although stay away from Bratislava, girls are beautiful but it's not sure you will survive it.

That was obviously a joke, remember the first HOSTEL movie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 04:23 PM

4,967 posts, read 3,331,958 times
do a bit of reading on some countries in EU that appeal to you that you would like to live in ,
choose wisely choose one country go on holiday/vacation for a few weeks ,
maybe you meet someone you like , fall in love etc
marry an EU citizen
lots of people do this
the other way is work for a USA company that has work for you in some EU country but that is usually contract of year(s)

Old 02-08-2017, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 577 times
Are there people willing to share resources on how to make this move, rather than focus on a judgement of why? Other people may have the same question for their own personal reasons. I would like to have people's insights on how and retain my reasons as private. Thank you to anyone willing to be helpful. I am focused on the EU, and open to where, having already traveled. Although I am open to hearing why one country might be preferable and why.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:19 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,608,697 times
I'm an American living in Spain. It's actually one of the easier western European countries to move to (legally), but still not as easy as moving to another US state. Here's my standard spiel.

Understand, that like all places, living in Spain (any European country really) is very different from a month long vacation. Especially if that was your first time out of your home country, you'll quickly realize that everywhere becomes "normal" at least to some extent, after a while. That being said, I enjoy living here very much, and can afford to live a much better life here than I could in the USA. I suppose "the time of my life" is a fair assessment. If you're an American (or Canadian/ Kiwi/ Aussie), you have two realistic options:

1) I have posted extensively about this, but there is a visa called the non-lucrative visa which allows you to live in Spain for up to 5 years if you have a financial source outside of Spain. I have a job in the USA which allows me to telecommute, so because I have a full income from the USA, I am able to live here. You can also show that you have adequate savings to support yourself for one year, €25,560, or you could have investments, a pension, or any other source of at least €2,130 per month flowing into your bank account form outside of Spain. There's more information here, but note that you'll have to do everything through your local Spanish Consulate and requirements are slightly different from place to place:

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...nLucrative.pdf

2) There is a program that is quite popular with young Americans called the Auxiliares de conversación extranjeros en España where you essentially assist a teacher in a school with English classes. As far as I know, this program is unique in Europe. In Madrid, it's 16 hours per week for €1000/ month. In other areas, I believe it's only 12 hours per week for €700 per month. It's not a lot of money, but you can live on it, and you get a visa (student visa). In addition, you can hustle English lessons on the side to make extra cash - I have several friends in this program who earn an extra €500-€700 per month with private lessons. A downside, in your case, is that they don't have this program in Catalonia, but you could live almost anywhere else in Spain. The main requirements are a university degree and being a native English speaker. Another downside, besides low pay (i'll reiterate that you can live, even in Madrid, on 1000 per month, it just won't be glamorous) is that a lot of my friends who work in this program feel... under-utilized. I'm sure it depends on your school and the teachers you work with, but you are there to assist, not to be the sole teacher. If you've had a legit career, this might feel like a bit of a step back. But hey, it's a visa. More info here:

Consejerias Exteriores : Cultural Ambassadors: North American Language and Culture Assistants in Spain

Finding a proper job in Spain that pays a competitive wage and would sponsor you for a visa would be next to impossible. The situation for Spaniards is not the best, let alone other EU citizens trying to work here. A Spanish/EU company will have to prove that you're better qualified than anyone else (EU or non EU) that's applied in the last 30 days. Outside of the Auxiliary program, which operates through the loophole of giving you a student visa, it's quite difficult to find a visa-sponsoring English teaching job because UK and Irish citizens (EU members) don't require a visa. Like I said, I've been through the ringer myself, and have a roommate and several American friends who are making a go of the English teaching options, feel free to PM me if you want any additional information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe