Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 AM

62 posts, read 275,145 times

Advertisements

I'm 27 and I've never been to Europe. I have it in my head that instead of visiting, I'll just move there, perhaps permanently. I'm still not 100% sure it's a good idea but I figured I'm (sort of) young without ties such as family or mortgage to my current city of Chicago. I also don't know anyone in EU so it would be moving there by myself.

What's the best way of accomplishing this successful? Ideally, I wouldn't move until I have a job lined up because I don't think I can handle being in a new county jobless, both financially and emotionally. However, I'm not sure how to get a job, especially in this economy. I'm a software developer and I just joined my current company last year but I'm going with worse case scenario where my company doesn't have positions in EU for me to relocate to.

I haven't really thought this completely through but what are some other things that might put a big damper on this? What kind of treatment would I expect there being an Asian from American? What advice do people have on this, both on moving to a new county and on moving in the middle of their lives?

Also, I don't have a country picked out but I figured I'd move to one where it's easy to get a job, settle down then move some more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM

266 posts, read 403,384 times
It's quite difficult. You have to jump through hoops to get a visa and basically have to have a job first to get sponsored for one. Unless you are rich. And the difficulty with that is that in many Euro countries it is actually illegal to hire someone without a work visa or residency unless they prove that there was not a native equally fit for the position. For such a big change in culture and the incredible hassle you will be going through, perhaps you should visit first to be absolutey positive that's what you want, or you will have wasted a lot of time, money, and energy.

Your best bet would be to try to get into an international firm here in the US and then try to get transferred once you have some tenure. Luckily, your field should provide decent opportunities for working in an international firm.

Last edited by iliza; 01-25-2013 at 11:56 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,877,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weizilla View Post
I'm 27 and I've never been to Europe. I have it in my head that instead of visiting, I'll just move there, perhaps permanently.
What is wrong with visiting first ?
Anybody who says this, makes me think, that you are kind of desperate to *get out of where you are*.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,273,437 times
You should firstly visit, and then spending longer time, such as a few months studying in the country to learn the language and culture. Don't forget that not all European countries are part of the UE, and also do not forget that EU is a political union of different countries, with different cultures, languages, money and economic situations. And also with various integration into the political UE (the UK for exemple is outside of Eurozone and Shengen agreement). For exemple as a Anglophone it is not the same thing to emigrate to the UK than to do it in Portugal or Greece for obvious linguistic and cultural reasons.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 PM

24,727 posts, read 11,055,349 times
Whatever you have figured out will not happen without education, proven skills, job and visa. Let's not mention language.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,282,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Whatever you have figured out will not happen without education, proven skills, job and visa. Let's not mention language.
This.
You can't just move to Europe because you want to. That is not how things work unfortunately.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:23 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,734,462 times
Doesn't sound like a good idea.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 AM

255 posts, read 928,015 times
You could get a job from a European company that would set you up with a work visa, you can eventually get citizenship from this.

I's say look at Spotify in Sweden, Yandex in Switzerland or Netherlands (also elsewhere, but less desirable such as Russia.) Skype in Estonia, etc.

It's not that difficult to move if you have the skills or are dedicated.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:01 PM

67 posts, read 185,636 times
I think you'd be crazy if you didn't visit several potentially interesting (to you) places and spend non-trivial amounts of time, a month or more, living in them. I just came back (to the US) from three months in Germany, the first in Frankfurt and the last two in Berlin. I lived in three furnished apartments, rented through Airbnb, and that worked out great. My experience is that it's not difficult to find a place via that service that's comparable in price to what you'd pay for rent in a normal flat with a lease.
As an American, you can stay in a Schengen Area country for three months out of every six, so that's plenty of time to test the waters.
Don't forget that many places in Europe, including Berlin, have very high unemployment rates.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 PM

62 posts, read 275,145 times
I actually moved to my current city without having been here before or knowing anyone. All I heard was that Chicago is a great city and the first job offer I got for it I took. I figured as long as I have some source of income and a backup plan (move home with Mom) why not take the risk and just move to a new country? Perhaps I just lucked out last time.

You all bring up a good point. I will plan some trips for visiting. I'm actually going to be in Berlin this fall for the marathon so I'll be sure to look at the city and ask myself if I could really live here. I think after this trip, I'd feel more comfortable taking week long trips around Europe.

It also seems like my worries about finding a job are not unfounded. Time to spend some extra hours learning new skills and a language!

I did not know about the Schengen Area thing but that's great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe