Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 PM

567 posts, read 1,123,352 times

Advertisements

That's like asking Americans why they don't visit the Ukraine, rural Poland, Lichtenstein, Slovakia, northern Finland, or Newcastle-on-the-Tyne. I'm not trying to knock those places, it's just that they're not really on anybody's "Greatest Hits" list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM

567 posts, read 1,123,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
The Germans like to visit the US West/Southwest due to the interest in the "Wilde West" in the pop culture. Cowboys and Indians and stuff like that is sort of passe' in the US but the Germans are fans.

So you'll see a lot of German tourism out in Der Glodene West.
Italians are even crazier about the "Far West." There's a reason they churned out all those old Spaghetti Westerns.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,228,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
That's like asking Americans why they don't visit the Ukraine, rural Poland, Lichtenstein, Slovakia, northern Finland, or Newcastle-on-the-Tyne. I'm not trying to knock those places, it's just that they're not really on anybody's "Greatest Hits" list.
The South has tons of tourist attractions, though. It's not considered 'flyover country' like most of the Midwest is.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,565,834 times

Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 PM

7,010 posts, read 12,020,523 times
I think the number one factor here is the south has very little in the way of international tourism. When you think of other countries you usually envision their most famous monuments and structures, and the most famous places in the United States are primarily on the coasts and the larger cities.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:09 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,175,641 times
Most people want a vacation or holiday when they travel for leisure, not a sojourn. So many Europeans choose places like Orlando, Las Vegas, New York, and the like. The South is great for road trips; however, staying in Atlanta and Mobile for an extended period of time, say, is not as appealing as staying in Orlando or Miami. The road trip as such does not seem to be as familiar a concept to Europeans as it is to Americans (although many Germans, for example, tour the West by car).

Old 03-22-2013, 03:51 AM

370 posts, read 954,158 times
Tourists don't give a hoot about culture, only Russian tourists. Tourists want different things, the want the "typical South" even if it does not exist anymore (in that case, developers would have to recreate it to attract tourists).

For example, the fat southern sherrif in an old fashioned drugstore (George Kennedy), southern belle contests, real bbk, dixie flags, rednecks fighting in a bar, etc, etc.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:11 AM

4,432 posts, read 7,003,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree with the others but Charlotte? I'm not sure honestly most Europeans know of it, let alone would want to visit it.
I not heard of Charlotte either yet I don't know anyone that has visited there or has mentioned it ever.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:52 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,901,152 times
The problem with the American south, it's that (save in the mountains I guess) it is known to be sweltering hot&humid in the summer, and -apart from south/central Florida-not warm enough in winter to be snowbirding there. So taht leaves only spring and autumn, and I've not enough money (and freetime) to add a vacation to -certainly beautiful-places in the southern US in spring to my now traditional month of snowbirding in Mexico or Thailand in middle winter.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,153,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagendass View Post
Those pics are a response to this quote by a previous poster.

"The American South is behind the times, politically, economically, and socially. There is a lack of soul in the South. Who would want to visit that waste of land? Save for San Antonio and Charleston, no one wants to visit cities without any culture"

Charlotte has a lot of culture and the things you mentioned, but if I was coming from Europe and spending thousands on traveling I probably wouldn't visit the south either.
No offense hagendass, but seeing you go full-blown postal on Charlotte pics after a 2-line trolling attempt makes me wonder how emotionally involved you could get on these forums.. please don't ever go to the City vs. City or P&OC boards!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe