Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,361,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I'm sorry but none of the things you mentioned can't be found in other places. Europeans don't travel all the way to the US just to eat Tex Mex food. Shopping, museums, beaches, science centers, music, concert venues, amusement parks, club scenes, rivers, architecture, friendly people etc. can be found all over the US, you don't have to travel to the South for that. For me personally, most Southern states are just way too hot in the summer (which is when I would go if I ever visited the US) and I can't stand any type of insects or spiders or mosquitos... anything like that... which I hear are very common in the South. I'm sure there are a lot of lovely places in the South but I doubt I'd have much time to enjoy them in between my heat strokes and panic attacks
The museums DIFFER dramatically from city to city - they are regionally specific in many instances, so no - it's not a matter of "museums are in every city." My gosh, if we take that approach, I guess I shouldn't bother visiting museums in ANY city. Anywhere in the world.

Rivers? Sheeze, everyplace has a river. I may as well ignore the Rhine...or the Mississippi...they ain't nothin' special...

Venues differ dramatically as well - I mentioned the Grand Ol' Opry. Honestly, it's a terrific experience and I think that many non Americans would really enjoy it - and you won't find that ANYWHERE else but Nashville. And watching Mexican dancers on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, or boot scootin' in the Greune Dance Hall outside of Austin, or sitting in an open-windowed bar in New Orleans listening to someone blowing on a trumpet like the saints are marching in...WOW!

The club scene in Austin is legendary - same with New Orleans. You simply won't find 6th Street, or Bourbon Street, or Beale Street (Memphis) or anything like any of those famous streets, anywhere else.

If you haven't "floated the river" around Austin, you're missing something. I'm just sayin'.

I never said anyone HAD to "travel south" to find great shopping, terrific food, cool museums, fun concerts, a great club scene, beautiful rivers, lovely architecture, science centers, amusement parks, national parks, great scenery, friendly people, etc. by the way.

What I said is that if those things are important to people visiting the US, they should seriously consider visiting some of the places I suggested - because we have all those things as well and are often simply overlooked apparently.

Don't like the heat? Visit in the Spring or Fall - it's lovely then, just about anywhere in the South. Heck, visit in November - our winters are mild and we're still enjoying fall colors in November in most of the South!

As for mosquitos - that's a summer thing, and we have insect repellent for that anyway. Personally, I never even have to use it, but everyone's different.

Insects in general - well, I lived in Germany for several years and yes, I noticed that there are fewer insects in central Europe, but it's not like we're overrun with them here in the South. They're not hanging around in every corner or under your pillow - it's not like central America or anything like that. I think your fears are a bit exaggerated when it comes to insects...think of the off chance of running into one as a sort of excitement bonus!

I can't even remember the last time I found a snake in my yard...yes, I can, it was four years ago and it was a harmless green garden snake. He was actually cute and I picked him up and admired him for a bit before I let him go!

But if you're really, truly this negative toward the South, maybe you should go elsewhere. I was just trying to encourage people who haven't considered some of these places as destinations, to at least consider them.

After all, just about every time I've ventured off the beaten path in Europe, I've been very pleasantly surprised. The US is no different. I'm still finding all sorts of terrific places all over the US, including (but not limited to) the beautiful American South.

People get in ruts and have a lot of misconceptions about places sometimes and I just want to expand people's ideas and curiosity if they're considering a trip to the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 04:37 AM

370 posts, read 954,476 times
Europeans traveling to non-standard destinations in the US are after the wake of some cult movie, or some pop myth..or old movies. For example, Nashville = Presley, etc, etc... Easyrider = Route 66, etc, etc.

The problems of such destinations is distances, you need a car to move around and public transportation is useless if you want to visit the Smokeys, Blue Ridge, the Appalachians, etc.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo666 View Post
Europeans traveling to non-standard destinations in the US are after the wake of some cult movie, or some pop myth..or old movies. For example, Nashville = Presley, etc, etc... Easyrider = Route 66, etc, etc.

The problems of such destinations is distances, you need a car to move around and public transportation is useless if you want to visit the Smokeys, Blue Ridge, the Appalachians, etc.
Oh, I would DEFINITELY rent a car if visiting anywhere in the US outside of NYC or maybe Washington, DC. I mean, I don't rely on public transportation outside of major cities in Europe (and I get out of major cities as quickly as possible). A car gives one the freedom to be spontaneous -which is a prerequisite to any vacation in my little world!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:26 AM

370 posts, read 865,474 times
I grew up and worked in Dallas, so yes I spent plenty of time in the areas, you have highlighed except for Charleston. I lived in austin as well so I have spent plenty of time in San Antonio, which i find to be quite lame despite liking Texas history.

We spent alot of time vacationing in the surrounding areas growing up because frankly we couldnt afford to go anywhere else.

I do like New Orleans quite a bit though and thinks its a fun city to visit - I would think people from France may find an affinity there because of its historical ties.

As someone else mentioned, the oppressive distances and lack of public transit make it hard for and international visitor to consider the area you mention. As i said you are quite enthusiastic, but you are having a hard time convincing me or other users that its truly unique and interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sorry you disagree. Have you spent any quality time in any of the cities I listed?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 AM

120 posts, read 167,856 times
Rent a car and hit the road is part of the trip.
The only difficulty is to drive a car with an automatic transmission

Old 03-19-2013, 07:52 AM

308 posts, read 399,485 times
I think marketing, accessibility, and cost has a lot to do with it. Most or all of the inexpensive flights to the US end up in New York, Boston, Orlando, Los Angeles, Chicago, or possibly DFW. Visiting the South then means you have to either drive or fly somewhere else, which eats into your beach/sightseeing time and costs more. No, Florida ain't Southern and neither is Texas

Personally, I think a lot of people visiting the US give themselves the short end of the stick when they only go to big, "international" cities on the left and right coasts. Frankly, I find US cities boring, sprawling, and anonymous when compared to their Euro or Asian counterparts. The real America is outside the big cities, in my opinion at least.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 AM

24,843 posts, read 11,275,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
I think it depends where you are in the south. Miami is completely full of foreign visitors all the time. As is Atlanta, Charleston (SC) and Savannah.

But if you go to Murfreesboro, TN, or Eufala, AL or Marks, MS, you will probably not run into too many.

Europeans, especially the Brits, are great travelers and you can find them anywhere. But most are usually short on time and they try to hit the "name" or glamour spots.
Eufala - unless you are a bass fisher there are a few old houses and what else?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
I grew up and worked in Dallas, so yes I spent plenty of time in the areas, you have highlighed except for Charleston. I lived in austin as well so I have spent plenty of time in San Antonio, which i find to be quite lame despite liking Texas history.

We spent alot of time vacationing in the surrounding areas growing up because frankly we couldnt afford to go anywhere else.

I do like New Orleans quite a bit though and thinks its a fun city to visit - I would think people from France may find an affinity there because of its historical ties.

As someone else mentioned, the oppressive distances and lack of public transit make it hard for and international visitor to consider the area you mention. As i said you are quite enthusiastic, but you are having a hard time convincing me or other users that its truly unique and interesting.
Well, I'm sorry you grew up in Dallas. I don't care for it much myself. Fort Worth, however, is a different story altogether!

I am also sorry you found Austin and San Antonio to be "quite lame." I've honestly never heard anyone describe either city in those terms.

I would encourage anyone visiting the US, outside of New York or perhaps San Francisco, to rent a car. But hey, that's just me. I like the freedom of driving my own vehicle and choosing when and where I stop along the way.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 AM

370 posts, read 954,476 times
To rent a car in the US is an adventure for most people in this continent. Distances are atrocious, plus European tourists ain't American drivers....and they have this propensity to end up in some dangerous hood (I believe this is the PC word nowdays).

I agree that the south is nice, for example, the Blue Mountains, NC, Virginia, but tourism is organized around an American "fun for the whole family" perspective. To attract European tourists you would need buses and guides.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo666 View Post
To rent a car in the US is an adventure for most people in this continent. Distances are atrocious, plus European tourists ain't American drivers....and they have this propensity to end up in some dangerous hood (I believe this is the PC word nowdays).

I agree that the south is nice, for example, the Blue Mountains, NC, Virginia, but tourism is organized around an American "fun for the whole family" perspective. To attract European tourists you would need buses and guides.
Oh well - I don't earn a living in the travel industry, and to be honest, I prefer going to places that AREN'T overloaded with tourists, so...it doesn't really make much difference to me whether Europeans actually come to the South to visit or not. I mean, they're welcome but I'm not going to fret if they don't come. Ya know? I just wondered why they don't more often - and I wanted to be able to clear up misconceptions if they were part of the issue.

What I do know is that when my friends from Europe visit the South, they usually LOVE it. Especially Texas and Arizona and Charleston and New Orleans - though I do recommend that if one isn't used to high humidity, they put off a trip to the American South till fall or spring rather than coming in the heat of summer (which is also the height of the US tourist season).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe