Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:30 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,437,911 times

Advertisements

The Everglades, Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, The Petrified Forest, Mammoth Cave, Shenandoah, Land between the lakes...
There is lots to explore in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,948,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'd visit the South again. I have no plans on visiting anytime soon, but I enjoyed my brief stay in Knoxville and northeast Alabama. The locals in northeast Alabama liked my PA Yankee accent lol
Your from peurto rico...

Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's so funny. Hell, I LIVE in the US - the SOUTHERN US - and have never taken any kids or grandkids to Disney World!

But I hate touristy stuff. I mean, I can tolerate it at a historical site, but commercial touristy stuff like theme parks and places like Pigeon Forge, TN or any other place dominated by plastic and amusement parks...well, ugh...I'd rather stick a hot poker in my eye than go to one of those. On any continent!

I can't imagine going all the way to Europe to go to an amusement park. But oh well...people love Disney, so I'm just glad they're THERE while I'm poking around in some historical ruin or a museum somewhere - less of a crowd!
Yea but its not like that for us. There are flights to orlando from every single regional airport in the uk. It is pretty cheap to go there.

Also the time difference is only 5 hours sometimes 4.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:27 AM

7,864 posts, read 10,351,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I have a lot of acquaintances from Europe. None visit the south, other than Miami.

i want to visit the south but im not sure where i should go , i have a cousin who lived and worked in atlanta for several years , i dont know him well so no idea how much he liked it apart from that it was incredibly hot in the summer

Old 03-14-2013, 05:28 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,933,531 times
Kathryn the reason why people visit Florida and other tourist destinations like Los Angeles, etc. is probably because of cheap air and hotel package deals to these places, the more popular the place the cheaper it is.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,019,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Your from peurto rico...
Lived here a long time, and all my friends got me to speak "normally". Now, I speak better English than your average chav, ned, and whatever you call them in NI

Old 03-14-2013, 07:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i want to visit the south but im not sure where i should go , i have a cousin who lived and worked in atlanta for several years , i dont know him well so no idea how much he liked it apart from that it was incredibly hot in the summer
Hopefully this thread has given you some ideas on where to go. Welcome!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:20 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,501,048 times
Well I have visited USA, Mexico, Jamaica and Haiti.

Maybe you are right, I know more people who have visited USA more than Latin America, at least in Spain, but for example I have Israeli friends and North European who have gone more often to SouthAmerica. I am not sure if I should count these people who fly over the Ocean 9 hours ONLY to see the beach.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 AM

24 posts, read 69,771 times
Surely tourists from everywhere, not just Europeans, generally go to the East and West coasts over the South, right? It probably just comes down to the fact that people are more likely to go to places they've heard about or to see iconic landmarks (Statue of Liberty, Hollywood sign etc.) for themselves, and the majority of those just happen to be on the coasts.

It basically comes down to "Wow, I've heard so much about this place. I can't believe I'm actually here in person!" versus "I don't know much about this place but I'll risk it to see what it's like." While I'm personally quite adventurous and love discovering new places I can understand why the majority play it safe and go for places they've heard more about. Especially if you're going internationally it's gonna be quite expensive and if you only ever get one opportunity to visit that country you're gonna want to see the more obvious places, then if you're lucky enough to get more opportunities to visit, then you might branch out into more obscure places.
It's the same in every country, the well-known places are the most popular places. Even if you try to convince travellers to visit a different part, even if they show a genuine interest in that place, if they only have a limited amount of time and money they're probably not gonna choose that place at the expense of the #1 destination. I think people have a much different perception of their own country than visitors do, so big touristy places that might not be a big deal for them will be seen as much more appealing for people coming from another country, while lesser known attractions are left for the locals to enjoy!

I would love to go to the US South someday! But there's also other places I'd love to visit and realistically I won't get the opportunity to visit them all in my life. I'd love to try though.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lived here a long time, and all my friends got me to speak "normally". Now, I speak better English than your average chav, ned, and whatever you call them in NI
Oh, I thought you moved there like 5 years ago. My Uncle moved from Coleraine to Winnipeg and now has a winnipeg accent but my aunt still has a ballymoney accent after 30 years, it depends on the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe