Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 12:31 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,500,842 times

Advertisements

For Ireland for 2012

Girls' names
  1. Emily
  2. Sophie
  3. Emma
  4. Grace
  5. Lilly
  6. Mia
  7. Ella
  8. Ava
  9. Lucy
  10. Sarah
  11. Aoife
  12. Amelia
  13. Hannah
  14. Katie
  15. Chloe
  16. Caoimhe
  17. Saoirse
  18. Kate
  19. Holly
  20. Ruby
Boys' names
  1. Jack
  2. James
  3. Daniel
  4. Sean
  5. Conor
  6. Adam
  7. Harry
  8. Ryan
  9. Dylan
  10. Michael
  11. Luke
  12. Charlie
  13. Liam
  14. Oisin
  15. Cian
  16. Jamie
  17. Thomas
  18. Alex
  19. Noah
  20. Darragh
Irish baby names - BabyCentre

There are some Irish names there but the majority are just multinational names like most countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:47 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,500,842 times
What's with people using nicknames especially for boys instead of calling them the proper name? Instead of John it is Jack, Harry instead of Harold, Charlie instead of Charles etc.

They could still use the nickname as most John's ended up being called Jack anyway. The same with the other diminutives as well.

Last edited by Bernie20; 11-27-2013 at 01:22 AM..

Old 11-27-2013, 12:48 AM

667 posts, read 944,498 times
I think it's only good that different countries have different names. Probably nowadays in Europe there's some trend of "globalising" names, using more "American" or universal names, but still in many cases certain names are still associated with a specific country (or groups of countries, e.g. Scandinavian).
Would be boring if names were the same everywhere. I like it when I look at some person's name and last name and can easily figure out his nationality.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:06 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,370,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
And what would be wrong with that?
Baby naming in Germany: "Kevin Is Not a Name — It's a Diagnosis!"

Non-traditional names linked to teacher discrimination - The Local

Old 11-27-2013, 03:13 AM

62,252 posts, read 88,136,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is something I've noticed. Why is it that Europeans tend to name their kids by their country names. Irish people have Irish names. French tend to have French names. Italians have Italian names. And so on. I can't say it's an age factor as young people having kids today are still sticking with their country names. Given the global village that we live in today where everyone is exposed to other cultures (and especially for EU countries )how is it that an Italian doesn't give their kid an English name or French? I think the only EU members who consistently name their children non-country names would be the English. It is interesting to me as I live in the Western Hemisphere and most people give their kids whatever name they like;origin is irrelevant.
Yes, you are wrong...
Did you ever been in Europe? Met people from there? Talked with them about it? How did you "noticed" it?

Here is a list of most popular names by country:
http://www.babynamefacts.com/popular...p#.UpXHJ8RDuSo

Old 11-27-2013, 03:14 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,276,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is something I've noticed. Why is it that Europeans tend to name their kids by their country names. Irish people have Irish names. French tend to have French names. Italians have Italian names. And so on. I can't say it's an age factor as young people having kids today are still sticking with their country names. Given the global village that we live in today where everyone is exposed to other cultures (and especially for EU countries )how is it that an Italian doesn't give their kid an English name or French? I think the only EU members who consistently name their children non-country names would be the English. It is interesting to me as I live in the Western Hemisphere and most people give their kids whatever name they like;origin is irrelevant.
I live in Portugal. It is morning here, and so far I have dealt with two people - both born in Portugual of Portuguese families. Their names were Ludmilla, and the guy is Patrick. We are off the hook.

Sheesh, Americans find the most peculiar diddly crap to get booooooothered over.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:22 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,116,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I live in Portugal. It is morning here, and so far I have dealt with two people - both born in Portugual of Portuguese families. Their names were Ludmilla, and the guy is Patrick. We are off the hook.

Sheesh, Americans find the most peculiar diddly crap to get booooooothered over.
Patrick is a strange name in Portugal. Maybe he was born somewhere else ? Because it was hard for me to register my daughter before because I wanted an Italian name but they wanted me to choose a name that was on the book.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:22 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,927,169 times

Old 11-27-2013, 03:58 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,276,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Patrick is a strange name in Portugal. Maybe he was born somewhere else ? Because it was hard for me to register my daughter before because I wanted an Italian name but they wanted me to choose a name that was on the book.
It is strange, but it is his legal name, and both his parents are Portuguese, though I have known several French guys too named Patrick and not Patrice.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:37 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,137,970 times
Top German names for 2013.
Girls:
Amelie
Anna
Charlotte
Clara / Klara
Emilia
Emma
Emily / Emilie
Hannah / Hanna
Johanna
Lara
Laura
Lea / Leah
Lena
Leni
Leonie
Lilli / Lilly
Lina
Luisa / Louisa
Maja / Maya
Marie
Mia
Nele / Neele
Sarah / Sara
Sophia / Sofia
Sophie / Sofie

Boys:
Alexander
Ben
Elias
Emil
Felix
Finn / Fynn
Henri / Henry
Jacob / Jakob
Jan
Jonas
Julian
Leon
Luca / Luka
Lucas / Lukas
Luis / Louis
Max
Maximilian
Moritz
Niclas / Niklas
Noah
Oscar / Oskar
Paul
Philipp
Tim
Tom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe