Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:36 PM

347 posts, read 697,001 times

Advertisements

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is something I've noticed. Why is it that Europeans tend to name their kids by their country names. Irish people have Irish names. French tend to have French names. Italians have Italian names. And so on. I can't say it's an age factor as young people having kids today are still sticking with their country names. Given the global village that we live in today where everyone is exposed to other cultures (and especially for EU countries )how is it that an Italian doesn't give their kid an English name or French? I think the only EU members who consistently name their children non-country names would be the English. It is interesting to me as I live in the Western Hemisphere and most people give their kids whatever name they like;origin is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 05:42 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,870,325 times
I think you're wrong.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:44 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,987,279 times
The same exact reason why Koreans give their kids Korean names. The same exact reason why Japanese give their kids Japanese names. The same exact reason why Mexicans give their kids Spanish names. The same exact reason why Saudi Arabians give their kids Arabic names. Should I go on? You're asking a question that needs no answering at all.

I'm gonna agree with Ariete on this. I think you are wrong, too. Most kids in the US get English names when they are born here. What sense does it make naming my son Ryota or my daughter Hikari if they, for one, don't look Asian at all; much less Japanese. Two, why give them Japanese names if I don't even live in Japan?

Then again, you are free to name your kids whatever you want. I will name my kids in the tradition in the country they were born in

Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,870,325 times
The most popular male name in the last 70 years or so is probably "Juhani", which is an abbreviation of "Johannes". That's not a Finnish name. And for girls, "Maria" has been one of the most popular for centuries.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:55 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,906,206 times

Old 11-25-2013, 06:01 PM

347 posts, read 697,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The same exact reason why Koreans give their kids Korean names. The same exact reason why Japanese give their kids Japanese names. The same exact reason why Mexicans give their kids Spanish names. The same exact reason why Saudi Arabians give their kids Arabic names. Should I go on? You're asking a question that needs no answering at all.

I'm gonna agree with Ariete on this. I think you are wrong, too. Most kids in the US get English names when they are born here. What sense does it make naming my son Ryota or my daughter Hikari if they, for one, don't look Asian at all; much less Japanese. Two, why give them Japanese names if I don't even live in Japan?

Then again, you are free to name your kids whatever you want. I will name my kids in the tradition in the country they were born in
I actually thought of the US. A quick perusal of the top baby names for Americans shows a mix of European names. Not just English. Unless you are trying to tell me English descent Americans would only give their kids English names which I don't think is the case.
I'm not saying an Italian should give their kid a Korean name for eg. But given the close relationships among EU countries you would think there would be some cross culture happening of which naming trends are evidence of that.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:04 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,611,377 times
This is the three most popular names for newborn in 2013 in France.

Nathan
Lucas
Leo

Emma
Lola
Chloe

There is nothing particulary French about these name.

I think you think that only the Bristish gives non British name to their kids because you have a view based on the English speaking world.
Often in media, the view of other culture is often more based on stereotype than on today reality.
In English speaking media, the French have often very stereotyped names.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
I actually thought of the US. A quick perusal of the top baby names for Americans shows a mix of European names. Not just English. Unless you are trying to tell me English descent Americans would only give their kids English names which I don't think is the case.
I'm not saying an Italian should give their kid a Korean name for eg. But given the close relationships among EU countries you would think there would be some cross culture happening of which naming trends are evidence of that.
I don't know where you looked, but the top 20 most popular names, as told by the Social Security Administration, are all British. These top 20 names make up an extremely large chunk of the US population.

I'm guessing you've never been to Europe? Did you know that permanently crossing borders in the EU happens a lot less frequently than most Americans probably think? Along those lines, it's the British that disproportionately live in other EU countries.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:00 PM

595 posts, read 721,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Chloe

Chloe is not a typical French name?

I guess Lola and Lucas is due to Spanish influence.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
This is the three most popular names for newborn in 2013 in France.

Nathan
Lucas
Leo

Emma
Lola
Chloe

I think you think that only the Bristish gives non British name to their kids because you have a view based on the English speaking world.
Often in media, the view of other culture is often more based on stereotype than on today reality.
In English speaking media, the French have often very stereotyped names.
Every country has universal names. You gave a list of universal names. These don't really count. By the way, Emma is French origin; it's a Norman name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe