Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Italians lighter skinned than Spaniards?
Yes, Italians are generally lighter 6 10.53%
No, Spaniards are generally lighter 15 26.32%
Depends on what region of Italy and Spain is concerned 26 45.61%
Hard to tell 10 17.54%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 07:51 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,443,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
If you know Italians as well as you know Britons then its not something you know 'well'.
What do you know anyway? All you've doing is complaining, stop being so sensitive, people have the right to discuss anthropology, genetics, etc... Nothing scientific came from you , even your geography is out of place.[/quote]

Old 12-20-2013, 08:02 PM

9 posts, read 94,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
What do you know anyway? All you've doing is complaining, stop being so sensitive, people have the right to discuss anthropology, genetics, etc... Nothing scientific came from you , even your geography is out of place.
[/quote]

Do italians have any arab or levant admixture?

Old 12-20-2013, 09:46 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
What do you know anyway? All you've doing is complaining, stop being so sensitive, people have the right to discuss anthropology, genetics, etc... Nothing scientific came from you , even your geography is out of place.
[/quote]

I don't need science to comment about what is in front of my very eyes! I can only comment with some certainty on my own environment, yet it seems that some people from the other side of the world will still happily tell me Im wrong. I am sorry but the truth is that there is so much inaccurate stereotyping on here stated as if its a fact. I thought the idea of this forum was for people to learn truths from other people around the world, if you really want to know what its like in Germany or what people are like or how they look in Germany then surely the best people to ask are Germans? Not instead to ask an Argentinian who may 'perceive' all Germans as blonds because they have grown up with this particular 'stereotype. Its time to move forward away from stereotypes and the truth is that we are all far more similar than perhaps we would sometimes like to admit! I don't doubt your 'studies' about peoples DNA but the reality is you have an inaccurate view of how 'Britons' are. The truth is Britain is FAR more of a mix of people than your posts suggest - an average Caucasian Briton is identical to an average Caucasian American, Australian, New Zealander or yes German (and this is only taking into account Caucasian Britons). The world is mixed up, Americans are a mixed heritage of Britons, Germans, Italians etc but guess what? Britons themselves were already a mixed heritage of Germans, Italians, Scandinavians etc - and the same can be said of other Europeans too, that is why (like for example in the US) there is NO British 'look'.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:49 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,401 times
Both are Mediterranean countries but those on the northern parts of the country tend to be lighter and the more south you go, they are a little bit darker (due to the sun).

Old 12-21-2013, 09:28 PM

Easthome, You don't know what you are talking about. Wrong the largest ethnic group in American Whites is German today. And what you said has nothing to do with the question of the thread anyway? You're out of context![/quote]

Last edited by saxonwold; 12-21-2013 at 09:45 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 10:19 PM

This is a scientific evidence done by a specific study by the Genome-Wide Association Studies of pigmentation in four European countries. Portugal is included, it is also the country closest to Spain genetically. The Portuguese are lighter-skinned than the Italians, thus we have our answer.

The countries compared were Ireland, Poland, Italy and Portugal.

In terms of hair color from lightest to darkest: Ireland, Poland, Italy, Portugal
" " of eye color from lightest to darkest: Ireland, Poland, Italy, Portugal
" " of skin color from lightest to darkest: Ireland, Poland and Portugal, Italy.
Thus those who are saying that all Europeans are identical, are only fooling themselves. Here we see that despite the fact that Portugal is darker-haired and dark-eyed, they are still lighter-skinned than Italians.[/quote]

Old 12-22-2013, 10:13 AM

Do italians have any arab or levant admixture?[/quote]

Italy was at the center of the Roman Empire, Sicily has the most Levant/Arab admixture from invasions, nevertheless Italians are still genetically much more related to lands of Europe than those of the Middle-East. They are first and foremost Europeans as a whole.[/quote]

Old 12-22-2013, 01:02 PM

I don't need science to comment about what is in front of my very eyes! I can only comment with some certainty on my own environment, yet it seems that some people from the other side of the world will still happily tell me Im wrong. I am sorry but the truth is that there is so much inaccurate stereotyping on here stated as if its a fact. I thought the idea of this forum was for people to learn truths from other people around the world, if you really want to know what its like in Germany or what people are like or how they look in Germany then surely the best people to ask are Germans? Not instead to ask an Argentinian who may 'perceive' all Germans as blonds because they have grown up with this particular 'stereotype. Its time to move forward away from stereotypes and the truth is that we are all far more similar than perhaps we would sometimes like to admit! I don't doubt your 'studies' about peoples DNA but the reality is you have an inaccurate view of how 'Britons' are. The truth is Britain is FAR more of a mix of people than your posts suggest - an average Caucasian Briton is identical to an average Caucasian American, Australian, New Zealander or yes German (and this is only taking into account Caucasian Britons). The world is mixed up, Americans are a mixed heritage of Britons, Germans, Italians etc but guess what? Britons themselves were already a mixed heritage of Germans, Italians, Scandinavians etc - and the same can be said of other Europeans too, that is why (like for example in the US) there is NO British 'look'.[/quote]

Eyes aren't good enough to tell how populations cluster and what kind of genes they carry. Yes we cannot rely on stereotypes alone, that's why scientific studies are made to study various populations to even see what kind of diseases some populations might be prone to done others. For example among Europeans Caucasoids, Sickle Cell would be much be more common in Southern Europe among Sicilians than it would be among the English/Dutch/Swedish people. You feel offended when people are being differentiated, but that's a fact we are not all identical. I'm a redhead but my sisters are not this is already within our family, so between populations the difference gets even greater. An average white British might look like an average white American, because in the history we know already many British settled North America, the same would be for Australia, New Zealand, Canada. That is why the most spoken language in those countries is also English, get it? There is mixtures, that's true but even with mixture we are still able to this day to differntiate between European populations. Forensic expert are going to be able to pintpoint European origin even with 500km. So that's how we know for example that the British(like you) and Irish generally cluster with populations nearby. Nothing for you to get upset about.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:00 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,779,467 times
I'd say Italians are darker actually. They both vary but overall I think you're more like to find "Nordic" looking people in Spain.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:19 AM

305 posts, read 376,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iber-Colchis View Post
Are Italians (of all regions) in general lighter skinned than Spaniards?
No, that's not true. On average, the farther down you go in Europe, the darker the people (on average). Greeks, Armenians, and some Italians don't even look like white Europeans. I've also seen some really dark French people...I mean DARK and they were not immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe