Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:58 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,258,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
I think The Hague looks amazing.
It's a historic city so they didn't want to build ultra modern skyscrapers that would clash with The traditional architecture, so instead, they decided to build some really classy and sophisticated Art Deco style skyscrapers.
It looks amazing, most skyscraper enthusiasts think that The Hague is one of the classiest skylines in Europe. Instead of using glass walls and steel, they used traditional stone and warm tones, it looks like the early towers from the 1930s New York. I think it's beautiful

The Hague has shown that we can have traditional style skyscrapers in our Europe cities too

Well it's ofcourse all a matter of taste, but i just think it looks like a disorganized bunch of odd looking buildings. Too low to be called "sky scraper" and to high to blend in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 02:18 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,258,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lamb View Post
Being from there, i cant say i agree. I think most of them look ridiculous, this little bunch of weird shaped buildings sticking out of a small city. It just doesnt make much sense to me.

http://media.schlijper.nl/normal/12/...ag-skyline.jpg
http://www.denhaag.nl/upload_mm/c/9/...p_skyline2.jpg

Exactly what i mean, it just doesn't come together. Such a pity of those realy nice old buildings. These are typical old dutch "herenhuizen" (gentlemen houses) wich the Haque still has a lot of. They give that nice old, authentic feeling to a city, and having a massive stone/steel/glass building next to it completely spoils that.
It destroys the "gezelligheid" of the old cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe