Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:40 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

Drro; we have to start somewhere. All cities started with one. It will bulk out over time. There are countless high-rises planned for London.

Things are certainly bigger in the US. Does bigger always mean better? Nope. We're not trying to keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 09:29 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
To be honest, this is nothing compared to the New York skyline, both in number and height of tall buildings. I think it is even preferable to have no skyscapers at all like Paris or Amsterdam than to have only one which only barely keeps up with the ones in New York and Chicago. The Shard just looks unnatural like this. It is the same with houses, cars, boats, rv's, roads, everything is more and bigger in the US so please let's stop pretending we can keep up.
Who gives a hoot? ''my buildings are bigger than your buildings''

the novelty wears off after a few days. London has roman ruins and beautiful cathedrals that novelty never wears off.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The new 'Walkie Talkie' skyscraper in London is absolutely hideous IMO, and it melts cars. It looks alright from the front tough.

London Skyline Dawn by Cyclopic Fun, on Flickr

Here's London's skyline back in 2005:

The London Skyline... of DOOM by Trenchfoot, on Flickr
I wonder will London be like NYC in 50 years with a bucketload of skyscrapers?

Old 01-07-2014, 10:16 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
To be honest, this is nothing compared to the New York skyline, both in number and height of tall buildings. I think it is even preferable to have no skyscapers at all like Paris or Amsterdam than to have only one which only barely keeps up with the ones in New York and Chicago. The Shard just looks unnatural like this. It is the same with houses, cars, boats, rv's, roads, everything is more and bigger in the US so please let's stop pretending we can keep up.
What do you mean 'WE'?

London's skyscrapers are going up and out rapidly. Even in the next 5 years there will be like 10 new skyscrapers.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25391386

Old 01-07-2014, 12:16 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I wonder will London be like NYC in 50 years with a bucketload of skyscrapers?
Good god I hope not! London is being ruined, what's the point of trying to make every city look identical! The most beautiful (European) skylines now are in eastern Europe, London is just a mess.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:21 PM

I don't think they're trying to make every city look identical. London's skyscrapers aren't generic boxes. Well, the ones in Canary Wharf are kind of generic, but the ones in the City are unique. The Walkie Talkie is ugly as hell in my opinion, but it's daring and different. At least the skyscrapers going up in London now are different to the others. I don't want London to have a skyline of identical skyscrapers.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Good god I hope not! London is being ruined, what's the point of trying to make every city look identical! The most beautiful (European) skylines now are in eastern Europe, London is just a mess.
Well I think London's skyline is beautiful especially from the right angle. London will definitely not become like NYC but it will just develop as a modern city, things change and there changing for the better probably in the future all new buildings will be skyscrapers especially in a relatively small country.

The next 100 years building up won't just be for Downtown areas but inner city and even suburban areas, we can't keep building outwards destroying life in the process. Probably the most innovative skyscraper designs will be from Europe trying to build high while maintaining those views of its old buildings.

The future is upwards not outwards.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:31 PM

London's skyline looks almost like Manhattan from certain angles, where Canary Wharf and the City look like they run into each other (which they obviously don't).

Old 01-07-2014, 12:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
London's skyline is bigger than Boston or Philadelphia, smaller than San Francisco. Why does London need to be compared to NYC or Chicago?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I don't like skyscrapers. They create a lot of shadow and have an intimidating effect on the psyche, even if we are not aware of it. I remember the first time I walked between skyscrapers, depressing...
One of the things I don't like about them is that I hate elevators, but skyscrapers without elevators make no sense. I want to be able to reach the street by foot from anywhere within a building within 15 seconds or so.

I guess a lot of people like lit skylines from a distance, simply because they look nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe