Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 03:59 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,409 times

Advertisements

I like them especially if they are beautiful but not all of them are. For example Chrysler Building is great. But I also love fairy tale European cities with an old downtown.

These ones are the new ones in Madrid, they are beautiful but isolated, the rest are in the centre.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nBid0b7ivl...400/TORRES.jpg

These ones are older, different design, they are not ugly at all (well the white one maybe a bit)

http://www.fuenterrebollo.com/Herald...na/plaza-1.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-04-2014 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 04:34 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Our tallest building has created a few issues..

Major route closed due to high winds two years after man was killed by lorry that flew through air | Mail Online

Old 01-04-2014, 08:36 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Put it this way I like pic 1 better than pic 2 - both beautiful but pic 1 is more so.

http://i40.tinypic.com/23mwv3m.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/29w1oxw.jpg

Maybe cities like Frankfurt, Rotterdam etc can put them up but cities like Rome, Split, Porto, Seville and the like don't need them as their skyline is unique and stunning as they are.
The skyline in picture 1 is what I call a beautiful skyline (curves and domes not just tall square block after tall square block)

Old 01-04-2014, 02:41 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,934,838 times
I don't know the exact definition of skyscraper but I wouldn't even call those buildings in Paris, Frankfurt or Madrid skyscrapers. The only thing that comes remotely close is the Shard and the Shard is only nr. 75 on the worlds list of tallest buildings. We are just so far behind compared to the US, Asia and the Middle East. I wonder why that is, because European cities are among the most cramped on earth so it would make sense to have tall buildings over here.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times
I rather see the real sky.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:27 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I don't know the exact definition of skyscraper but I wouldn't even call those buildings in Paris, Frankfurt or Madrid skyscrapers. The only thing that comes remotely close is the Shard and the Shard is only nr. 75 on the worlds list of tallest buildings. We are just so far behind compared to the US, Asia and the Middle East. I wonder why that is, because European cities are among the most cramped on earth so it would make sense to have tall buildings over here.
They are definitely skyscrapers, without a doubt.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:09 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
They are skyscrapers. Remotely close? The Shard is tall by any standards. I think anything about 90m can be considered a skyscraper. Singapore doesn't have anything taller than about 280m.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:15 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
I think they are better both in looks and space compared with the small blocked up buildings in cities here. I think London would be a better place if it had skyscrapers rather than those old orange buildings.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:18 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,934,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
They are skyscrapers. Remotely close? The Shard is tall by any standards. I think anything about 90m can be considered a skyscraper. Singapore doesn't have anything taller than about 280m.
The official definition of 'supertall building' is 300 meters. So, it is correct to say only the Shard qualifies as really tall in Europe, but just barely at 306 meters. I have seen some of the buildings in European cities, although not the Shard, and believe me they are nothing compared to standing at the base of the Sears Tower in Chicago and seeing the top disappear in the clouds. That is just awesome.

I wonder why we are so much behind on 'who has the tallest' compared to the US and Asia(like with so many other things).

Old 01-05-2014, 03:58 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I think they are better both in looks and space compared with the small blocked up buildings in cities here. I think London would be a better place if it had skyscrapers rather than those old orange buildings.
Is this a joke! Would you honestly suggest tearing down St. Paul's Cathedral and replacing it with a concrete and glass square block!!! I'm speachless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe