Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:38 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I fail to see the significance of the US Dollar vs British Pound. The USA provides no more social mobility than the UK does. The USA has a much larger percentage of millionaires and billionaires per capita because it is easier to appropriate economic rent (commonly created wealth) in the USA.

Globalization was invented by the British and its empire and massive merchant fleet. In the 1700s high quality Indian made cloth was being worn in the UK.

<snip some babble>
London is clearly the center of global finance, in great part because of the overflow of New York financial power (and that of many other national financial capitals), led by the re-insurance and foreign exchange markets, as opposed to relatively puny things like the stock market, but you go too far.

On varying scopes and scales, "globalization", among parts of known worlds among varying participants over time, has been going on since at least Mediterranean-wide navigation, thousands of years ago. Since then, it ebbs and flows.

In the "modern" era (since around 1500), arguably the Spanish and Portuguese were the first to "invent" global circumnavigation and global empire-building, but certainly the British managed it better and passed on the mantle to the US. Over the past 20 years or so, globalization has expanded exponentially, but we may be about to ebb again.

But most people are not chronologically bifocal. Hell, they can't even walk and chew gum at the same time. Hence, inane one-sided arguments.

At any rate, it appears that the OP has never even returned to City-Data forums, much less respond to her own thread.

Nonetheless, she threw out an interesting set of cities, fun to talk about and compare.

Last edited by bale002; 03-27-2014 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,456 times
i hate London.. its a total mess people are ugly and morbedly obese the city is dirty and the underground are full of rats.... disgusting!!!!! God bless Italy and its beutiful people

Old 03-27-2014, 09:07 AM

169 posts, read 294,299 times
Quote:
I fail to see the significance of the US Dollar vs British Pound. The USA provides no more social mobility than the UK does. The USA has a much larger percentage of millionaires and billionaires per capita because it is easier to appropriate economic rent (commonly created wealth) in the USA.

Globalization was invented by the British and its empire and massive merchant fleet. In the 1700s high quality Indian made cloth was being worn in the UK.

<snip some babble>
Um first of all I meant globalization in a different way. Also 1700! The Romans were importing and exporting goods and taking over new lands all over their empire more than 2000 years ago! Plus silk made in China made it's way to Italy at least 200 years before Brits were wearing Indian clothing.

That being said the Globalization I meant has to do with marketing and exporting a brand, product, or concept throughout the world.

How many McDonald's, Burger King, Starbuck, KFC, and Subway styled restaurants has the UK exported all over the world?

Even in entertainment the radio in practically every country in the world plays American Hits. Yes the UK has some great funky boy bands but can you compare that to the American Music Industry. NO! (In terms of how large they are)

Also, even films! Films from Hollywood/US Studios are dubbed/translated and shown in Cinema's throughout the world the UK again cannot say the same.

Look at Miley Cyrus and the Olsen Twins these young American Ladies were worth over 1 billion dollars before they even turned 18. How many young billionaire's has the UK cranked out? Zuckerberg anyone?

Yes it is true the UK attracts more visitors but hey you have a 2,000 year plus history of civilization and rich history so for art, architecture, cultural achievements, yes I say UK.

But for money and the potential to make money and I'm not talking about the already wealthy I'm talking about the average human being looking to better their life. If you were to take a worldwide survey of humans through ought the world and say if visa/entry was no issue looking at a purely economic perspective which country would you prefer to immigrate to the USA or the UK?
We all know who would get the most votes plus even Canada or any part of the NEW WORLD (Australia and New Zealand) is perceived world wide as an easier place to change one's financial status. Also, I think it is a bit off topic and even unfair to plot the UK now against the USA it would be fairer to plot the whole EU against the USA!
That being said, the UK is still a wonderful place and the British amongst the most cordial people on Earth that is why it will always be a top tourist destination!
Although, out of all the cities on this list I would still pick Milan (if there was a single job there) I don't even really love Milan as a whole but it is near Verona and Garda Lake in Italy which is a veritable paradise.
Although I'm deeply looking forward to go back to the UK and explore the Cornwall Coast (as that looks breathtaking too) and yes is fun to compare places and discuss with people on here especially ones such as John-UK who has a tremendous intellect.
ps. I wish some of my American compatriots would think a bit before they write sometimes. Not necessarily on this thread but geese some of the threads in the American section are down right asinine. Also Im not sure if the w Americans made the world a better place by exporting our penchant for high calorie low nutritious food! Although the world seems to love and can't get enough.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:04 AM

32 posts, read 34,379 times
New York is the center of the global finance....London lost the first place a long time ago, maybe 60 years ago.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:32 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococorico View Post
New York is the center of the global finance....London lost the first place a long time ago, maybe 60 years ago.
You are still wrong.

Domestic activity does not count in terms of global financial center.

Besides the global re-insurance and foreign exchange markets, which dwarf equity markets, also measured by cross-border commercial real estate investment, in 2013 Asian investors alone, for example, number one right now globally in terms of generating new surpluses, invested some $7Bn in London compared to only around $2Bn in New York, followed by Sydney and San Francisco. In 2012, they invested some $4Bn in London commercial real estate, compared to around $1Bn in New York.

So on many measures of "global" finance, including geography and time zone, London is the center of global finance.

London is the global "go to" point for the overflow of financial power among financial companies and investors throughout the globe, including and especially New York, according to many measures, including the re-insurance market, foreign exchange, commercial real estate investment, and even the setting of interest rates on all kinds of loan contracts, even for municipalities in the US and simple commercial mortgages in, say, guess where, New York. They set their interest rates in the London market every month.

So we are talking about last year, the previous year, this month, and next month, not 60 years ago.

I am from New York, I have worked in finance all my life, including both London and New York (and Milan), and London is the center of global finance, to a large extent on the fumes of New York.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:01 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
How many McDonald's, Burger King, Starbuck, KFC, and Subway styled restaurants has the UK exported all over the world?

Even in entertainment the radio in practically every country in the world plays American Hits. Yes the UK has some great funky boy bands but can you compare that to the American Music Industry. NO! (In terms of how large they are)
Your first point should not be anything to be proud of.

Your second is ill-informed. Not heard of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, The Kinks, Queen, Elton John, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Jam, The Police, The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order, The Stone Roses, Oasis, Suede, Blur etc? Hardly funky boy bands now are they?

Back on topic, I'd give Milan a miss. I love Italy and have visited several times but Milan was the only place, gorgeous cathedral aside, that underwhelmed me.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:22 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,069,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
Um first of all I meant globalization in a different way.
There are two globalizations now are there? Wow! The world's first "world city" was Liverpool in England. The first city to trade with all points on earth.

< snip inane babble >

Old 04-01-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Your first point should not be anything to be proud of.

Your second is ill-informed. Not heard of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, The Kinks, Queen, Elton John, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Jam, The Police, The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order, The Stone Roses, Oasis, Suede, Blur etc? Hardly funky boy bands now are they?
The British dominate the world music business.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellissimo View Post
i hate London.. its a total mess people are ugly and morbedly obese the city is dirty and the underground are full of rats.... disgusting!!!!! God bless Italy and its beutiful people
I find that amazing coming from an Italian. Travel from Switzerland to Italy over land. The difference is startling. When you get into Italy everything is thrown out into the street. BTW, only 48% of people in London are ethnic British.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:09 AM

6 posts, read 11,104 times
Quote:

<snip some babble>

I'm not a US advocate, but everybody in the entire world knows that the Americans dethroned the UK after the war. Most people learn American English. London and NY are not comparable, NY is the capital of the world, point. London, yes, was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe