Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 04:34 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes. It means that they still consider it ok to fight with your wife (maybe even physically, as was the case in the US until the 80's or so), kind of a left over attitude from when wives were men's property. In the US the tendency is more to ask the woman if what's going on is ok with her. Germany hasn't caught up yet, apparently.
The police officer should have asked them both, not just the man or the woman.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:44 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
My wife and I were having a discussion in a train station regarding which train to take. Because we had opposing opinions, our voices were slightly raised. A policeman walked up to me and asked me (first in German and then in English), "do you know this lady"?. I said "she's my wife!". Then he said "Okay, perfect!" and skipped away. At no point did he attempt to make any conversation with her.

What do you make of that?

BTW we're an interracial couple if that is of any relevance.
I think the best way to not have any issues in the future is to not have opposing opinions "with slightly raised voices", problem solved.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:55 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,449,267 times
I think a lot is being made about nothing.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:16 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,595,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I agree,it doesn't even look like a race issue,the cop by respect talked to the man.
Usually,women are victim of abuse and in most cases,men are the cause of abuse,so i don't see anything wrong with cop asking the guy questions.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:40 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,959,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The police officer should have asked them both, not just the man or the woman.
Looks like the black person was asked. This seems to be the issue here

Old 02-02-2014, 07:50 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,474,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
My wife and I were having a discussion in a train station regarding which train to take. Because we had opposing opinions, our voices were slightly raised. A policeman walked up to me and asked me (first in German and then in English), "do you know this lady"?. I said "she's my wife!". Then he said "Okay, perfect!" and skipped away. At no point did he attempt to make any conversation with her.

What do you make of that?

BTW we're an interracial couple if that is of any relevance.
I guess because you had slightly raised voices he was just trying to make sure your wife was okay. When he found out everything was all right he made a diplomatic exit. I think he was a policeman doing his job and good on him.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Germany isn't the American deep south.

I think it was odd - from a common sense point of view - that the police officer would ask the MAN (not the woman) if he "knew this woman" and once he determined that, he just walked off. How does that address ANYTHING? I mean, for all the police officer knew, the man was a sex trafficker and the woman was in trouble?

I live in the American south. A police officer would ask BOTH people if they were OK if the situation seemed odd to him/her.

I lived in Germany for several years. I found many of the attitudes and assumptions in general to be odd and sometimes unsettling, though I enjoyed my time there immensely and had very few actual negative experiences. By the way, we were an interracial family living in Bavaria. I literally cannot think of a single negative incident regarding race, but I do think that Germans in general are more macho and have a more traditional mindset when it comes to gender roles - especially Germans over, say, age 45.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:41 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
This.

There was a minor quarrel and the police officer tried to intimidate the guy by talking to him. No big deal. He obviously figured that they were both tourists/native English speakers and thought that that wasn't a situation to worry about...

Old 02-02-2014, 09:23 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,807,206 times
sounds like paranoia.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:56 AM

836 posts, read 1,663,070 times
Another angle is a cop or dominant male will address the perceived threat in a situation, which would typically be the male regardless of race.

You establish authority in challenging like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe