Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 02:52 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were having a discussion in a train station regarding which train to take. Because we had opposing opinions, our voices were slightly raised. A policeman walked up to me and asked me (first in German and then in English), "do you know this lady"?. I said "she's my wife!". Then he said "Okay, perfect!" and skipped away. At no point did he attempt to make any conversation with her.

What do you make of that?

BTW we're an interracial couple if that is of any relevance.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:17 PM

270 posts, read 593,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post

No, it isn't. And I find it quite reassuring that he didn't just looked away, but asked if everything was ok.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:18 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
My wife and I were having a discussion in a train station regarding which train to take. Because we had opposing opinions, our voices were slightly raised. A policeman walked up to me and asked me (first in German and then in English), "do you know this lady"?. I said "she's my wife!". Then he said "Okay, perfect!" and skipped away. At no point did he attempt to make any conversation with her.

What do you make of that?

Somewhere on the internet, or TV perhaps, I came across a program in which an American or English couple rented an apartment in Germany. At one point a neighbour in the building came up and asked them if they were having a family dispute...they weren't. He was a policeman, which they had not known. It seemed people in the building took their loud talking for a fight.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:24 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
So you have one incident in a foreign country and you're jumping to a conclusion that what? Germany is sexist? Racist?

Old 02-01-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
No, it isn't. And I find it quite reassuring that he didn't just looked away, but asked if everything was ok.
Was there a reason he asked me and not her, or was that just random?

Old 02-01-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
So you have one incident in a foreign country and you're jumping to a conclusion that what? Germany is sexist? Racist?
The only person jumping to conclusions and using the words "sexist" and "racist" is you, buddy. I merely asked a question.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:40 PM

270 posts, read 593,028 times
Quote:
Was there a reason he asked me and not her, or was that just random?
Because you may have seemed like the aggressive, loud guy and he tried to step up for her. Why didn't you ask him?

Old 02-01-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
Because you may have seemed like the aggressive, loud guy and he tried to step up for her. Why didn't you ask him?
It was over very quickly and he vanished as suddenly as he had appeared.
It still doesn't make sense. If you see X arguing with Y and you want to step up for X, you'd want to ask X if everything is okay.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:50 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
The only person jumping to conclusions and using the words "sexist" and "racist" is you, buddy. I merely asked a question.
"At no point did he try to make conversion with her" that led me to think you thought the police officer was sexist.

"BTW we are a interracial couple" which led me to think that you thought the police officer was racist.

You didn't merely ask a question, mate.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
"At no point did he try to make conversion with her" that led me to think you thought the police officer was sexist.

"BTW we are a interracial couple" which led me to think that you thought the police officer was racist.

You didn't merely ask a question, mate.
The amount you're reading into this is hilarious

You couldn't be more wrong with your conclusions, especially regarding the first question.

Thanks for attempting though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe