Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:19 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by espn_lies View Post
Drinking beer in frozen climates isn't practical. I've had HOT BEER.....beer nearly boiling with added fruits and syrup for flavor. So it's almost like tea with a buzz.
What? Why would the beer be frozen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 03:33 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,807,206 times
swedens most common alcoholic beverage wine. i bet it's the hipsters from stockholm that bumps up that consumption.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:38 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
It seems like the further east you go, the worse it gets.

But, from what I've heard, the sheer amount of alcohol consumed in Europe is much more than the US and it is much more institutionalized into daily life than it is here. Why?
The US used to be a hard drinking country until the DWI penalties became so harsh. In Europe, you can get around by bus and train pretty much everywhere. DWI laws have killed the pub business in America. However, drinking is rapidly dropping in popularity among young Europeans as they increasingly socialize through social media rather than at a local water hole. Pubs are dying in Europe too.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:51 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
It's true - youngsters here are actually drinking less alcohol than their parents were when they were teenagers. The popularity of drugs has also declined. I guess teenagers aren't the unruly monsters we make them out to be - at least, not compared to previous generations.

Traditional pubs are definitely on the decline, although clubs and bars seem to be doing alright.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:16 AM

It's true. The drinking among youth has dropped clearly since the 90's, and been on a more gently sloped but steady drop every year since 2000. Also the percentage of youngsters being teetotalers have risen.

Cigarette smoking has dropped dramatically since 2000. Then, around 25% of youngsters smoked regularly, in 2013 only 12%. Snus and hookah use has been on the rise, though.

On the other hand, cannabis use has exploded among youth. Luckily, the usage of hard drugs like amphetamine hasn't at all.

Anyway, we've seen a clear change in attitudes, also among them who are of legal age. Long lunches doesn't exist anymore, government/municipal councils offer only coffee and tea at meetings, DUI is severely condemned and punished, and being totally wasted is seen socially less acceptable. Of course binge drinking is still common, but the social situations being severely drunk have became a lot fewer.

Many traditional pubs are indeed in trouble, but so are nightclubs. The demand of quality food serving restaurants which are open late has instead risen. But one thing is probably also that people rather buy a bottle of wine and sit at a friend's place playing board games, playstation and socializing than going to an expensive night club. During summers especially younger people tend to sit in parks all night long. Maybe go to a nightclub to dance away the dizziness at 2am.
Seems that the etkot 'pre-party' and jatkot 'after party' is increasingly important and the 'real' party in a nightclub is just a necessary evil and the reason why you dress up.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:17 AM

5,363 posts, read 5,143,422 times
Interesting. Thanks for the replies. I knew that Germany and Czech Republic (my ancestories) were big into beer. But my dad, when he went to the Czech Republic, said that the lack of any good tap water had something to do with it. But beer tastes like crap IMO. I like wine and spirits better, but not more than one mouthful.

But it would make more sense that eastern Europe would favor spirits. That's what you picture being drunk in the region.

The trends in finland and around in Europe seem to parallel what's going on in Colorado: a huge increase in microbreweries and specialty beers and a large increase in cannabis use coupled at a decrease in getting drunk drinking. And that's a positive trend IMO. Plus tobacco use is declining every year, like Europe.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:50 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,621,421 times
Quote:
You know it kind of doesn't surprise me in the least. With the history those people have had I'd no doubt be into it as much too.

And in the UK I'd be curious as to the consensus of the opinion on losing pubs. Arguably, that 'local' provides a connection to the overall community in a number of areas one being a facilatator in social context. Of course, all this is moot if its deemed people would rather stay at home entertaining themselves and drinking their pints there.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
The trends in finland and around in Europe seem to parallel what's going on in Colorado: a huge increase in microbreweries and specialty beers and a large increase in cannabis use coupled at a decrease in getting drunk drinking. And that's a positive trend IMO. Plus tobacco use is declining every year, like Europe.
Agree completely and it's true. Artisan and small breweries are gaining popularity and people seem to value quality more than quantity.

In other Nordic countries and parts of America the stereotype of a drunk Finn sucking a bottle of vodka is something that doesn't exist anymore except for the "professional alcoholics".

Old 02-18-2014, 12:42 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,267,455 times
Once again, Europe is NOT a country, and not a unique culture. The drinking patterns are not the same in the varous cultures. Some countries have similar drinking patterns ad the US does (more oriented towards beer-drinking) while other differs (red wine with meals in southern Europe, strong alchools in north-eastern countries, etc.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:28 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,935,425 times
Quote:

But, from what I've heard, the sheer amount of alcohol consumed in Europe is much more than the US and it is much more institutionalized into daily life than it is here. Why?
I could have opened a topic 'why is drinking so popular in the US'. We get these reality shows about the police in American university towns and it is all about people getting arrested for under-age drinking, public intoxication, loud parties getting out of hand, etc. And these drinking and partying holidays to Mexico, what is that all about? I am not under the impression it is any better in the US compared to Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe