Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I could have opened a topic 'why is drinking so popular in the US'. We get these reality shows about the police in American university towns and it is all about people getting arrested for under-age drinking, public intoxication, loud parties getting out of hand, etc. And these drinking and partying holidays to Mexico, what is that all about? I am not under the impression it is any better in the US compared to Europe.
Are you speaking of "Campus PD"?

Most American college students move from home, and some can't handle the freedom of not being under their parents' noses all the time, so binge drinking is a major pastime at American universities, especially those located in cities with not much to do.

Interestingly, the legal drinking age coincides with when (in my experience) students start drinking less. By their mid-20s most American college graduates drink about 10% of what they did when they were 18 or 19. Well, not literally ten percent, but binge drinking becomes a rare occurrence rather than a twice- or thrice-weekly affair.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:08 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Because the beer, wine and spirits there are good.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espn_lies View Post
Drinking beer in frozen climates isn't practical. I've had HOT BEER.....beer nearly boiling with added fruits and syrup for flavor. So it's almost like tea with a buzz.
Well vodka remains liquid in very cold temperatures and also has a warming effect.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Beer? Who cares about beer consumption? As far as distilled spirits go, I'd say some of the top consumers are Russia, Scotland, Finland, Iceland. Possibly Norway & Sweden, not sure. Has something to do with living in the north, they say.
A lot of people like beer...

Old 02-19-2014, 09:13 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Once again, Europe is NOT a country, and not a unique culture. The drinking patterns are not the same in the varous cultures. Some countries have similar drinking patterns ad the US does (more oriented towards beer-drinking) while other differs (red wine with meals in southern Europe, strong alchools in north-eastern countries, etc.
Yes, and so far the discussion has been defining the drinking habits in various European countries, not Europe as a whole.

Realize also that while the United States -is- a country, it is geographically and demographically immense and diverse in its drinking habits and other cultural factors. The U.S. is not a monolith either.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:02 AM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Yes, and so far the discussion has been defining the drinking habits in various European countries, not Europe as a whole.

Realize also that while the United States -is- a country, it is geographically and demographically immense and diverse in its drinking habits and other cultural factors. The U.S. is not a monolith either.

Heck yeah...

Lewis Black | Drinking in Wisconsin - YouTube

( Did I mention there are a lot of German-Norwegian-Swedish descendants here? )

Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Huh? Americans love drinking and it's the center of most of our social lives.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:39 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Are you speaking of "Campus PD"?

Most American college students move from home, and some can't handle the freedom of not being under their parents' noses all the time, so binge drinking is a major pastime at American universities, especially those located in cities with not much to do.

Interestingly, the legal drinking age coincides with when (in my experience) students start drinking less. By their mid-20s most American college graduates drink about 10% of what they did when they were 18 or 19. Well, not literally ten percent, but binge drinking becomes a rare occurrence rather than a twice- or thrice-weekly affair.
I think it's more about the age and less about the drinking laws...

I started drinking when I was 14.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think it's more about the age and less about the drinking laws...

I started drinking when I was 14.
Obviously, the drinking age laws don't reflect behavior, nor even social attitudes. Most people around here think that a 20-year-old getting cited for "underage consumption" is ridiculous. Local parents even take a soft stance towards high school "pit parties" and house parties...they are obviously discouraged, but some think their child is going to drink no matter what, better under my roof than in a back alley somewhere.

The summer after 9th grade (15) is when most kids attend their first unsupervised party, although it can range from 12 or 13 all the way up until 18 or older. I am in the latter group, because alcohol has a bad association in my mind due to past experiences. I do not believe alcohol is evil per se, but I hate the personality changes, the mischief, the slurred speech, and most of all, the breath of somebody who's been drinking. This has obviously complicated my social life, especially having went to a college in a city with unbearably cold winters and not much to do as an alternative to drinking. I spent most of my college Friday and Saturday nights sitting in the comfy seat at the local B&N, reading and drinking a Vanilla Bean Frappuccino.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:46 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
A lot of people like beer...
But beer drinking is common and ordinary. Comparing which countries drink how much doesn't really tell us much about the country and the culture. What's exceptional is a high level of drinking distilled spirits. And wine, maybe. Comparing all three would tell us more about culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe