Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:28 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
true. They obviously care much more about speed skating and skiing than the rest of the world. What about the majors - Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Britain? I'd guess citizens of Britain and Germany have a higher interest level due to their country's relative success at the Olympics.
Britain is not particularly successful in the Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 03:01 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Here in The Netherlands, we definitely care. Every major media outlet covers the Olympics on the front page. Speed skating in particular is very popular here and people watch these events as if they were watching a WC final. To give you an illustration, here are the Dutch TV ratings of yesterday:

1 SCHAATSEN OS 10KM HEREN HUL 4.326.000
2 SCHAATSEN OS NB 3.138.000
3 SCHAATSEN OS 10KM HEREN 2.891.000
4 SCHAATSEN OS 10KM HEREN VB 2.455.000
5 BOBSLEEËN OS TWEEMANSBOB SV 2.343.000
6 IJSHOCKEY OS HEREN SV 2.203.000

7 GOEDE TIJDEN SLECHTE TIJDEN 2.078.000
8 STUDIO SPORTWINTER 1.906.000
9 SOTSJI VANDAAG 1.853.000

10 JOURNAAL 20 UUR 1.832.000

The ones in bold are related to the Olympics (in case you're wondering, "schaatsen" means speed skating ). Take into account that yesterday was a regular working day. If you look at the ratings on Sunday, the interest in the Olympics becomes even more obvious. Even a random sport like curling drew 1.7 million viewers. Out of the 25 most watched programs on Sunday, 16 were related to the Olympics.

Still, I would say the Summer Olympics are more popular here. There are far more sports we compete in and we are much more successful (although this WO has been great for us). We have won 2.5 times more summer medals than winter medals. Besides, the summer sports we traditionally win a lot of medals in (the water sports, cycling, equestrian, field hockey, judo) are much more global than speed skating which gives it more prestige. Make no mistake though, we take a lot of pride in our speed skating domination

Old 02-19-2014, 03:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
You guys are lucky, the time difference between here and Sochi is so annoying with all the spoiler alerts.

Didn't get to watch one hockey game yet.

Winter olympics should only be hosted in the Western Hemisphere

Old 02-19-2014, 03:42 PM

986 posts, read 1,864,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You guys are lucky, the time difference between here and Sochi is so annoying with all the spoiler alerts.

Didn't get to watch one hockey game yet.

Winter olympics should only be hosted in the Western Hemisphere
Do you have an iPad or iPhone and do you get cable? If so, you can watch all the events live on an NBC app called Live Extra. That's how I've watched most events this Olympics.

I think it's selfish to say the Olympics should only be in the Western Hemisphere, just because you happen to live there. The Olympics are international games. They should be hosted all over the world. I think a lot of the excitement of the Olympics for me is the fact that these games take place in sometimes far off places. It's fun to get up at 5am to watch hockey to me.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:18 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Britain is not particularly successful in the Olympics.
What! Did you see Britain's medal tally in the summer Olympics? It was pretty damn impressive for such a small country.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:21 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Not as much as Eurovision.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:24 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What! Did you see Britain's medal tally in the summer Olympics? It was pretty damn impressive for such a small country.
60 million inhabitants is a small country?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
60 million inhabitants is a small country?
Well its certainly not one of the big boys for sure! Didn't Britain finish 3rd in the medal table at the last Olympics? Not bad for a country of only 60 million, certainly doesn't warrant the comment made about Britain 'not being very good at the Olympics' anyway.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:32 PM

221 posts, read 343,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Make no mistake though, we take a lot of pride in our speed skating domination
And you should. The Dutch domination in schaatsen has been given quite some media attention in Norway as well. We're an old powerhouse in skating, but have lost much ground in recent years. It's been frustrating to see the Oranje racers decorate the podium again and again during these weeks, with our racers reduced to lane fillers.

Unfortunately skating has struggled with recruitment since becoming an indoor sport. Norwegian talents are channeled into various types of skiing instead. Years ago, speed skating was the number one winter sport here - at least on par with cross-country skiing. I miss the the heydays of outdoor skating competitions with standing spectators like at a packed Bislett stadium.

VM 1979 DEL 1 - YouTube

Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 PM

1,057 posts, read 867,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I think you mean 'couldn't care less', if they could care less it means they care. In Britain there is absolutely zero interest in the Winter Olympics (where I live and work anyway), it could be because Britons tend not to have many winter Olympians (lack of snow makes it hard to train compared to countries blessed with snowy mountains), the only famous British winter Olympian I know is Eddie 'the eagle' Edwards - famous for coming last in the ski-jump, famous becuase he had to pay his own way to the games and (I think) the jump he made in the competition was the first time he had actually gone down a ski-jump, he used to practice by jumping off of his garden shed roof!

Hey, it's an American colloquialism

But yea my grammar sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe