Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:10 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
true. They obviously care much more about speed skating and skiing than the rest of the world. What about the majors - Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Britain? I'd guess citizens of Britain and Germany have a higher interest level due to their country's relative success at the Olympics.
My cousin and I were speaking of the Olympics today...she is Parisian, and even though France is not having a great Olympics, she and her friends certainly seem to be following it.

Europe is a large place, some will follow, others won't. You can't say that ALL European care or do not care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 07:21 PM

1,057 posts, read 868,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Here in The Netherlands, we definitely care. Every major media outlet covers the Olympics on the front page. Speed skating in particular is very popular here and people watch these events as if they were watching a WC final. To give you an illustration, here are the Dutch TV ratings of yesterday:

1 SCHAATSEN OS 10KM HEREN HUL 4.326.000
2 SCHAATSEN OS NB 3.138.000
3 SCHAATSEN OS 10KM HEREN 2.891.000
4 SCHAATSEN OS 10KM HEREN VB 2.455.000
5 BOBSLEEËN OS TWEEMANSBOB SV 2.343.000
6 IJSHOCKEY OS HEREN SV 2.203.000
7 GOEDE TIJDEN SLECHTE TIJDEN 2.078.000
8 STUDIO SPORTWINTER 1.906.000
9 SOTSJI VANDAAG 1.853.000
10 JOURNAAL 20 UUR 1.832.000

The ones in bold are related to the Olympics (in case you're wondering, "schaatsen" means speed skating ). Take into account that yesterday was a regular working day. If you look at the ratings on Sunday, the interest in the Olympics becomes even more obvious. Even a random sport like curling drew 1.7 million viewers. Out of the 25 most watched programs on Sunday, 16 were related to the Olympics.

Still, I would say the Summer Olympics are more popular here. There are far more sports we compete in and we are much more successful (although this WO has been great for us). We have won 2.5 times more summer medals than winter medals. Besides, the summer sports we traditionally win a lot of medals in (the water sports, cycling, equestrian, field hockey, judo) are much more global than speed skating which gives it more prestige. Make no mistake though, we take a lot of pride in our speed skating domination

Nice

Ratings are down here in the US. 4 years ago, we were able to watch all the events live. This time around we are made aware of the results before the events are aired on TV, so there's less inventive to watch.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
My cousin and I were speaking of the Olympics today...she is Parisian, and even though France is not having a great Olympics, she and her friends certainly seem to be following it.

Europe is a large place, some will follow, others won't. You can't say that ALL European care or do not care.
Wait, I thought Europeans only cared about futbol?

sarcasm... calm down calm down.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Do you care dunno? Does skate dancing or sledging on a tea tray interest you? :-)
I like ice skating. Some of the skaters aren't bad looking

Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
I'd imagine they are sick of turning on the television and watching the United States dominating everything.

**grabs popcorn**

Old 02-19-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Not as much as Eurovision.
her voice kinda sucks, but I love her

Germany "Satellite", Lena - Winner of Eurovision Song Contest Final 2010 - BBC One - YouTube

Old 02-20-2014, 01:04 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'd imagine they are sick of turning on the television and watching the United States dominating everything.

**grabs popcorn**
I think this man has something to say about that:

What a rant of epic proportions

Old 02-20-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I think this man has something to say about that:

What a rant of epic proportions
lol well if he wants a challenge, he should come coach over here.... a la Jürgen Klinsmann

Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

**grabs popcorn**
Well, not *everything* Invincible))))

This one was simply amazing. The Russian school of ballet is as good as ever; I didn't watch figure skating for long time, so it was a nice surprise.

Выступление Юлии Липницкой на зимней Олимпиаде в Сочи 2014 720 - YouTube

Old 02-21-2014, 06:07 AM

820 posts, read 954,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
true. They obviously care much more about speed skating and skiing than the rest of the world. What about the majors - Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Britain? I'd guess citizens of Britain and Germany have a higher interest level due to their country's relative success at the Olympics.

France and Italy are one of the most successful countries at the Olympics.

This is the World ranking: (summer)

États-Unis
Union soviétique
Allemagne
Grande-Bretagne
France
Italie
Suède
Hongrie
Chine
Australie

UK+Germany+ France+ Italy won more medals than USA.
USA have never been good in sports.

Winter:

Norvège
États-Unis
Allemagne
Autriche
Union soviétique
Finlande
Canada
Suède
Suisse
Italie
France
Russie
Pays-Bas
Corée du Sud
Chine
Japon
Tchécoslovaquie
Grande-Bretagne

Last edited by amaroW; 02-21-2014 at 06:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe