Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 03:46 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Am I hired? I love your posts on this subject, btw.
There's a lot of consultant companies that would love your expertise, if you know the way of doing business and the bureaucracy in Russia. Hell, if you learn Finnish even the Foreign Ministry may hire you!

As long as you forget the 'Serbian breakfast' and instead embrace the 'Danish breakfast', which is a large pint of lager and a cigarette.

PS, I didn't say all this in a xenophobic way, the actual culture of doing business are just so different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 03:58 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
There's a lot of consultant companies that would love your expertise, if you know the way of doing business and the bureaucracy in Russia. Hell, if you learn Finnish even the Foreign Ministry may hire you!

As long as you forget the 'Serbian breakfast' and instead embrace the 'Danish breakfast', which is a large pint of lager and a cigarette.

PS, I didn't say all this in a xenophobic way, the actual culture of doing business are just so different.
Yes, I know, haha, it's been fun!

My problem in dealing with Finns (I, like every other North American I know who's dealt with Russia, have found a way around this problem with Russians) is that I don't do alcohol. When I do the dinners and the toasts, I only pretend to drink the vodka. Really. Everyone I know (including a female official I made friends with in Russia) has some ruse for appearing to drink without actually ingesting the alcohol. This might not go over well in the company of Finnish businessmen. (It can get a bit touchy among Russians, when the trick is discovered.) Hopefully, they could be understanding....? How do Finnish businesswomen or female interpreters handle it?

I love Finnish, but to get to even just an intermediate level, I'd need to find a Finn. I'm not well-located for that, at the moment. Anyway, it would be a longer-term project, needless to say.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-23-2014 at 04:25 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 09:01 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Russia has a huge corruption problem. What can be done? Hire tons of government lawyers to watch over the people, clamp down on bribery?
I see, I am not the only one, apparently, who knows the answer by now -

Viktor Yanukovych is gone, but where are Ukraine's missing millions? | Oleksii Khmara | Comment is free | theguardian.com

"The Ukrainian elites have for years salted away ill-gotten gains throughout the EU while the authorities, specifically in the UK, Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Latvia, failed to apply their anti-corruption and anti-money laundering legislation to stop them."

"Although the UK government estimates that £23bn-£57bn a year might be laundered through its financial centre, it issued the first fine for lax anti-money laundering controls in January this year. The UK branch of Standard Bank Group was fined $12.6m – less than 2% of its 2013 first-half earnings.
According to a report by Transparency International UK, the global anti-corruption movement, there is a "tendency to tackle corruption only where there is strong bilateral political support"."

So there we go;
if you need to know "what to do about massive corruption in Russia," you need to recognize where it stemmed from, the source and background of it. And the source of it is firmly planted in Western banking system. First it created the class of people in Russia that ( protected by Western laws) accumulated the enormous wealth, and with this wealth came power unchallenged by any law, since the law now has been written by the very same people. The rest of population, looking at what "truth and justice" now became all about - anyone who'd rob, kill and plunder was securely protected by the very same Western banking system, that was giving a warm welcome a swindler and killer alike, as long as he/she was depositing money. So the rest of Russian population had nothing else to do but to oblige.
And if in case with Ukraine (where the West is wrapping his head by now) some traces can still be found ( Ukraine is not all that rich, there was not much left to plunder there,) than in case with Russia all the opportunities in this respect are long gone.

It's too late by now.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,240,239 times
Quote:
Russia has a huge corruption problem. What can be done? Hire tons of government lawyers to watch over the people, clamp down on bribery? The problem is, the people who watch for corruption will be corrupted too. And India, Brazil, etc. also have corruption/graft.

I was just reading the book Putin's Russia by Anna Politkovskaya. Very revealing, it talks about the despair there, and the corruption is also in the military.

There's some kind of bureaucracy problem with starting new businesses. Is it just corruption? That book suggested there's unique problems with starting businesses and it may be held over from the communist era.
Provide education, talk about corruption, using various media.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:58 AM

49 posts, read 46,844 times
One Spring day in Putin's Russia an old farmer was pondering how he would plough his backyard garden and plant vegetables which he needed for subsistence. He was weak and not able to lift a spade to do this back breaking work.

He phoned his son, who was in a prison for political dissidents, and told him his problem.
His son answered “Don’t worry papa I’ll think of something.”

The following week the old farmer heard a lot of clamor and saw about twenty soldiers digging up his back yard garden. He phoned his son again and told him that his prayers had been answered.

The son explained: “Papa I dropped a note on my jail house floor telling you not to
dig in the garden where I buried the plans for our next political incursion.”

Old 03-21-2014, 09:21 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
The problem in Russia is that almost everyone participates in and benefits from corruption—at least in a small way. If you don’t try and shake-down what you can when you can, you’re a patsy. The government and the oligarchs do it at a spectacular level, but it’s the ordinary civil servants, police officers, etc., that really keep the system going—and why it’s so hard to reform.

It’s a holdover from Communist times when you had to lie and bribe to get the most basic things: a job, an apartment, schooling, even food.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:18 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Russia has a huge corruption problem. What can be done?
Throw the bums out and import Canadians to run the place.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:55 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The problem in Russia is that almost everyone participates in and benefits from corruption—at least in a small way. If you don’t try and shake-down what you can when you can, you’re a patsy. The government and the oligarchs do it at a spectacular level, but it’s the ordinary civil servants, police officers, etc., that really keep the system going—and why it’s so hard to reform.

It’s a holdover from Communist times when you had to lie and bribe to get the most basic things: a job, an apartment, schooling, even food.
That's your own imagination. Soviet Union was not as dependent on corruption as you are trying to present the picture here - not when it was coming to the "most basic things." The reason being, that money were not the major force that was running the system - the ideology was. After American "economic advisers" shook hands with yesterday's party bosses ( the most corrupt of them,) put in their hands all money and power and plugged this corrupt system into Western banking system, that's when money became the major force running the society. And that's when bribes became necessary to get the most basic things.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:33 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,799,890 times
Quote:
Russia has a huge corruption problem. What can be done? Hire tons of government lawyers to watch over the people, clamp down on bribery? The problem is, the people who watch for corruption will be corrupted too. And India, Brazil, etc. also have corruption/graft.

I was just reading the book Putin's Russia by Anna Politkovskaya. Very revealing, it talks about the despair there, and the corruption is also in the military.

There's some kind of bureaucracy problem with starting new businesses. Is it just corruption? That book suggested there's unique problems with starting businesses and it may be held over from the communist era.
Couldn't Russia try doing what China appears to be doing, which is to keep all of the corruption within the dominant party there?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:56 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,620,868 times
Quote:

Every year it is less and this process takes time. Do you think , CORUPTION not in U.S.? Recent example? Difference is that they do not spread this on every corner of , and try to hide from the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe