Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:20 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,068,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Oh for goodness sakes - more London divide and rule nonsense.
A clued up Londoner here. I am also, politically aware. I also have to know about cites. Whitehall does divide and rule and has done so in promoting London into a world super-city over the past 35 years at the expense of all others. This has been disastrous for native Londoners who can't afford to live in the places they were born. Wealth should be spread around not concentrated. The North West needs one large city and the natural choice is commercial deep water port Liverpool. The BBC was planted in Manchester without and say from Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds or whatsoever. A political decision.

Liverpool does have an underground metro network, I use it, and like London's most is overground. Maybe I dreamt I was riding on underground trains under Liverpool and Birkenhead then . People use it to ride from suburb to suburb. The Welsh want the Birkenhead to Wrexham line electrified and put on Liverpool's metro, and want to pay for part of the cost, to have direct underground access to Liverpool.

HS2 Phase 2 will not happen as far as I can see. The cost will be too much for so little gain. Crewe is only 30-40 miles from Liverpool and Manchester and the Scots will use air to get to London. It will be economically not worth it and Liverpool will kick up wanting its HS2 station. Just not worth it. Money is better spent on local rail. The decision to go ahead will be taken around 2027. HS2 will release existing lines for freight from Liverpool's expanded port. Manchester in 25-30 years time will be very different vs Liverpool and Leeds to now. The Liverpool City Region is currently served by Liverpool and Chester Virgin trains. Manchester only has Piccadilly.

Liverpool Waters and Wirral Waters have been waiting in the wings for a long time and a depression got in the way, but planning continued. Manchester's investments pail into insignificance to Liverpool's. The port expansion is highly significant and the cruise liner terminal as well, which is set to take a lot of business from Southampton serving all the north of England and Scotland. Not forgetting the Atlantic Gateway from Liverpool up to Manchester.

Last edited by John-UK; 03-22-2014 at 08:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 07:26 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times
These lists are almost universally inane. Anything that isn't Paris and London make them. Half of those are quite touristy and the only ones that seemed appropriate were Bucharest and Genoa, maybe the Polish cities and Brno.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:06 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,068,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You wouldn't call a German a nazi or a Southern US person a slaver, so do not call us Russians.
Finish paranoia.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:50 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,045 times
Default To the original point

Anyway, back to the original point of this post!

Weisbaden Germany
Salzburg Austria
Aachen Germany
Ghent Belgium
Winchester Great Britain

Old 03-22-2014, 11:21 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Salzburg? Overlooked?

I'll go with:

Tallinn, Estonia: Not that many tourists besides drunk Finns. I really enjoyed the centre.
Riga, Latvia: Quite nice, too many drunk Brits.
Bozen/Bolzano, Italy: Quite popular amongst Austrians and (proper) Italians. Love it.
Trieste, Italy: Well, actually it's full of tourists. People from overseas seem to avoid it, though.
San Sebastian, Spain: Also not really a hidden gem, but quite nice.

Cities/towns in Austria that may be worthwhile and unknown abroad: Rust (Burgenland), Gmunden (Upper Austria) and Alpbach (Tyrol)

Old 03-22-2014, 11:37 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Is Lübeck overlooked? If it is, I'd definitely go with that.

My second pick would be Groningen or Uppsala.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:27 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
In Italy, I would overlook Genoa, but not the surrounding small towns on the coast, while, on the other side, I would not overlook Trieste and Ravenna. Personally I would add Arles in France and, in Portugal, Evora and a trip through Algarve.
A band from Arles came to my town and played a concert.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:12 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Salzburg? Overlooked?

I'll go with:

Tallinn, Estonia: Not that many tourists besides drunk Finns. I really enjoyed the centre.
Riga, Latvia: Quite nice, too many drunk Brits.
Bozen/Bolzano, Italy: Quite popular amongst Austrians and (proper) Italians. Love it.
Trieste, Italy: Well, actually it's full of tourists. People from overseas seem to avoid it, though.
San Sebastian, Spain: Also not really a hidden gem, but quite nice.

Cities/towns in Austria that may be worthwhile and unknown abroad: Rust (Burgenland), Gmunden (Upper Austria) and Alpbach (Tyrol)

My experience is that Salzburg is very overlooked by people in the U.S. I rarely talk with anyone who has been to Salzburg or knows much about it.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:13 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
My experience is that Salzburg is very overlooked by people in the U.S. I rarely talk with anyone who has been to Salzburg or knows much about it.
Really? I thought it was quite popular amongst Americans due to The Sound of Music, which virtually no one knows around here.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:55 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
I dislike capitals, thus I never cared for London, Paris, Berlin etc. I prefer smaller, finer cities. In Germany alone there are lots of them, for instance Aachen, Koblenz and Göttingen. In Spain I like Zaragoza, in Portugal Braga, Setúbal Guimarães, Aveiro, Tomar, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe