Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 03:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Really? I thought it was quite popular amongst Americans due to The Sound of Music, which virtually no one knows around here.
The reality is that surprisingly few Americans in my experience know about Salzburg. This is especially true of younger Americans. The link to the Sound of Music movie is nice, but that movie is pretty old.

However, the few Americans I have met who have actually been to Salzburg have all given very positive reviews of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 07:01 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Yay for the inclusion of Split and Budapest, two of my favorite travel destinations.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
The reality is that surprisingly few Americans in my experience know about Salzburg. This is especially true of younger Americans. The link to the Sound of Music movie is nice, but that movie is pretty old.

However, the few Americans I have met who have actually been to Salzburg have all given very positive reviews of the city.
I stayed in Salzburg for about ten days several years ago and had a blast! The salt mine tour was such a thrill, I kept climbing up the long set of stairs to slide back down over and over. Do you know the name of a nearby castle where one must walk up very steep terrain, zigzagging back and forth, where they have a Medieval entertainment factor along with the antiquities? There was also a birds of prey show in the courtyard - does any of this ring a bell?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:38 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I stayed in Salzburg for about ten days several years ago and had a blast! The salt mine tour was such a thrill, I kept climbing up the long set of stairs to slide back down over and over. Do you know the name of a nearby castle where one must walk up very steep terrain, zigzagging back and forth, where they have a Medieval entertainment factor along with the antiquities? There was also a birds of prey show in the courtyard - does any of this ring a bell?
Festung Hohenwerfen?

Old 03-24-2014, 11:07 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
Salzburg is gorgeous.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
The reality is that surprisingly few Americans in my experience know about Salzburg. This is especially true of younger Americans. .
Maybe it goes in cycles. Back in my 1970's backpacking days, word of mouth had *everyone* stopping at Salzburg.

These days it seems to be San Sebastian, Spain that all the young herd heads toward. I love San Sebastian, but the entire northern coast of Spain is wonderful, and affordable.

Only one or two cities on that list were unknown to me, but that's how it is with these things. Lyon, France or Split, Croatia are not exactly overlooked.

But that's okay, I like looking at the pretty pictures.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Yes!! That's the one! What an unforgettable, entertaining experience it was. Must repeat.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:17 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Yes!! That's the one! What an unforgettable, entertaining experience it was. Must repeat.
Ditto!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

Manchester Midland 7507 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Panoramio - Photo of Manchester streets
etc etc

Why are you so focused on architecture anyway? Few cities in the world sell themselves solely on their architecture, nor does a city have to have very attractive or even iconic architecture to be worth visiting - just look at Berlin.

Besides, Manchester is very close to being the third city in Britain to have more than 1 million international visits annually (other two being London and Edinburgh).

Architecture is probably the main reason people visit Europe.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
It's hilarious that they included Helsinki, Budapest, Porto, Innsbruck, Granada, Brno, Bergen and Rhodes Town on that list...
Helsinki and Brno don't seem that visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe