Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2021, 03:36 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry to pile on DKM delusions but today I had a guy coming to service my Viking oven...surprise, he was Russian, originally from a small town close to Kazan.

Half of his family lives in Tatarstan and he has family members in Kiev (mother is Ukrainian).

He could not be more adamant of how a badly of a s**t show Ukraine is with that part of his family seriously struggling and how much better off his relatives in Tatarstan are (working in aerospace, services, etc..), not even remotely a comparison.

He told me that he finds funny that people still complain in Tatarstan despite the enormous improvement in their standard of living....he said "I guess people quickly get used to and find easy to complain"

One is his uncles recently visited the family in Ukraine and he cannot count enough his blessing that he dodged that bullet.

The remaining family members cannot wait to leave Ukraine...he said it reminds him of Russia in the 1990s.

We chatted quite a bit, finally he said "Hey I have to go for another service call, let's talk more next week when I will bring the parts of the repair!!"

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-07-2021 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 06:47 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
My favorites.

https://englishrussia.com/2021/01/05...ay-these-days/

Old 01-08-2021, 12:04 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
Azeri gas is finally flowing to Europe. Gasprom is going take a hit but mostly only in the Balkans, but in the long term it will probably be for the best. Competition breads efficiency.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielco...h=216b9f2440e4

Old 01-08-2021, 08:26 AM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Azeri gas is finally flowing to Europe. Gasprom is going take a hit but mostly only in the Balkans, but in the long term it will probably be for the best. Competition breads efficiency.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielco...h=216b9f2440e4

NOT good news in my book.
It has little to do with Russia per se, and I wouldn't pay much attention, if it were just about Azerbaijan, but this event being put in a context that Azerbaijan now is a close ally of Turkey, ( that was pushing lately a lot of Islamic agenda,) - I don't like this latest development (with Azeri's oil supply to Europe) a bit.

Last edited by erasure; 01-08-2021 at 09:50 AM..

Old 01-08-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
NOT good news in my book.
It has little to do with Russia per se, and I wouldn't pay much attention, if it were just about Azerbaijan, but this event being put in a context that Azerbaijan now is a close ally of Turkey, ( that was pushing lately a lot of Islamic agenda,) - I don't like this latest development (with Azeri's oil supply to Europe) a bit.
I don't trust anything about the Russian/Turkey relationship especially in light of current events. It seems that it's a matter of "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" justifying the relationship at all.

Erdogan is treacherous. I suspect Russia is ready for any large scale shenanigans but little can be done if the situation were to go asymmetric.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:07 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Gazprom has the misfortune of being used as a political tool by the head of the Russian state. They will continue to lose customers and market share due to nobody wanting to do business with a hostile state. They could stop this nonsense of attacking neighbors, destabilizing more and hacking Europe... but nah, they enjoy this too much.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:17 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I don't trust anything about the Russian/Turkey relationship especially in light of current events. It seems that it's a matter of "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" justifying the relationship at all.

Erdogan is treacherous. I suspect Russia is ready for any large scale shenanigans but little can be done if the situation were to go asymmetric.

They are dancing a very careful dance for now, ( keeping in mind Syria in particular, not to mention the "new frontier" - Armenia.)
But Syria is still more important in this respect I think.

( I've heard that Israel has shelled Damascus again ( or rather the areas around it) couple of days ago.

So these two ( Russia and Turkey) won't be able to dance around each other forever.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:46 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Russia can't do a thing to Turkey. Turkey is backed by NATO and a nuclear bomb armed US airbase in the middle of it. And they are 0-3 against Turkey in proxy conflicts. Won't be long before its 0-4.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:41 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Russia can't do a thing to Turkey. Turkey is backed by NATO and a nuclear bomb armed US airbase in the middle of it. And they are 0-3 against Turkey in proxy conflicts. Won't be long before its 0-4.
I bet NATO will not move a finger if Erdogan goes too far and Russia smacks him in the face...wanna bet??

Old 01-09-2021, 09:15 AM

DKM doesn't understand how treaties and international politics work. No NATO member is obligated to come to the aid of a troublemaker.

There are also agreements between Russia and the US concerning terrorism. Just imagine the havoc even second line weaponry in quantity could wreak in Afghanistan and Iraq if Russia decided to make life hell for the US there.

The nuclear part isn't even worth going into.

You have no clue what you're talking about DKM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe