Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2021, 03:00 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Nobody cares anymore about Russia's failure in the 90s to embrace western style democracy. The slow decline of a nuclear armed state is a danger to those who it attacks to keep them from turning their backs on Russia. Putin arranging Russia's national wealth to his buddies is not the fault of some dead guys from 3 decades ago.

Latest news: "The European Parliament has passed a resolution calling on the European Union to "immediately" stop completion of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline to take Russian natural gas to Germany in response to the weekend arrest of Kremlin critic Aleksei Navalny.

European lawmakers on January 21 voted overwhelmingly -- with 581 votes in favor, 50 against, and 44 abstentions -- to call on the EU and its member states to “critically review cooperation with Russia in various foreign policy platforms and on projects such as Nord Stream 2.”

The EU parliament is useless, Germany get to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 06:02 PM

1,348 posts, read 624,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Sure that palace is just owned by a normal hard working honest Russian. Putin's cleaning lady mistress in St. Petersburg owns a small share of his controlled bank "Rossiya". Small share worth $100 million. Today their love child was outed as a wealthy teenager in the UK. No problem with me if Russians are so rich they send taxes to fund billions to Putin's inner circle so they can educate their kids in London and buy properties there. His childhood buddy is a billionaire, what an amazing coincidence.
I am becoming more and more convinced that you are a flaming communist at heart. And you're ready to fight! We're putting you in charge of our American cell. Way to go, DKM. Down with the damned capitalists. We will destroy the whole world of violence! No pasaran, comrade!!!

* the International sounds here*

Old 01-21-2021, 06:44 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
I am becoming more and more convinced that you are a flaming communist at heart. And you're ready to fight! We're putting you in charge of our American cell. Way to go, DKM. Down with the damned capitalists. We will destroy the whole world of violence! No pasaran, comrade!!!

* the International sounds here*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rVyHWbqZ1o

( Долгие продолжительные аплодисменты)))

Old 01-21-2021, 06:56 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
The EU vote was non binding. Little more than a suggestion.

https://www.rt.com/russia/513272-eu-...tream-navalny/

We'll know what Germany and the other countries that have significant interests in it think in the next few days.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:57 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Erasure, you are using the west as a boogeyman, just as the west used the Soviet Union as a convenient boogeyman. When Americans wanted to have universal healthcare, education etc. the politicians would just point their finger at the Soviet Union and call the commies (they still do that but now point at Venezuela and Cuba). So to with the situation in Russia. When there are Russians who say they want to put the oligarchs in check, curb the corruption and fix the political system to allow for more checks and balances and more parties to flourish, which you seem to want, but they go oh no the horror the west is demanding it, so we are going to do the opposite and become corrupt and authoritarian, that will show them, we are in control here not you. That just sound dumb and childish. Maybe just do what makes sense and stop worrying about the west? Russia can cut itself off from the west for all I care. What I’m concerned about is the blatant corruption and economic inequality, which yes also exists in the US and yes I’m worried about that too because there is limit to how much the lower classes can stand, there will be a point when a revolution triggers as what happened in France and then later Russia. In the 19th century Russian aristocrats where building themselves palaces on the Black Sea coast such as the vorontsov palace in Alupka while his subjects were living in squalor and now it’s happening all over again.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:34 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Also have you ever heard the concept where if you think everyone is out to get you, that everyone hates you, that all you’re relationships fail even with family members, maybe just maybe you are the problem and not them since you are the common denominator? I think this applies to Russia (as it does with other countries). I think this is something that Russia needs to recognize and grapple with if it wants wider global appeal.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Erasure, you are using the west as a boogeyman, just as the west used the Soviet Union as a convenient boogeyman. When Americans wanted to have universal healthcare, education etc. the politicians would just point their finger at the Soviet Union and call the commies (they still do that but now point at Venezuela and Cuba). So to with the situation in Russia. When there are Russians who say they want to put the oligarchs in check, curb the corruption and fix the political system to allow for more checks and balances and more parties to flourish, which you seem to want, but they go oh no the horror the west is demanding it, so we are going to do the opposite and become corrupt and authoritarian, that will show them, we are in control here not you. That just sound dumb and childish. Maybe just do what makes sense and stop worrying about the west? Russia can cut itself off from the west for all I care. What I’m concerned about is the blatant corruption and economic inequality, which yes also exists in the US and yes I’m worried about that too because there is limit to how much the lower classes can stand, there will be a point when a revolution triggers as what happened in France and then later Russia. In the 19th century Russian aristocrats where building themselves palaces on the Black Sea coast such as the vorontsov palace in Alupka while his subjects were living in squalor and now it’s happening all over again.
I for one certainly can't disagree with anything you said and I think this problem is worldwide.

I don't think the Russian authorities are unaware of the dynamic either. Progress has and is being made I do not doubt that either. It's a question of time though.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Also have you ever heard the concept where if you think everyone is out to get you, that everyone hates you, that all you’re relationships fail even with family members, maybe just maybe you are the problem and not them since you are the common denominator? I think this applies to Russia (as it does with other countries). I think this is something that Russia needs to recognize and grapple with if it wants wider global appeal.
There's one country on this planet that has a hand in just about everything and does not hesitate to use that power to intimidate and coerce others. Bully others into submission to further it's oligarchs own interests. Guess who it is.

Russia is guilty of just one thing. Getting up off its knees.

How would you like me coming to your house and telling you how to live your life? Wouldn't go over well would it?

Old 01-21-2021, 08:06 PM

Good news? If it happens.

https://tass.com/world/1247671

Old 01-21-2021, 08:40 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Erasure, you are using the west as a boogeyman, just as the west used the Soviet Union as a convenient boogeyman.
And what's a "boogeyman" Grega?

"An imaginary monster used to frighten children."

What took place in Russia back in the 90ies, was not "imaginary" in any way, it was very real.

Oh, and while we are at that, there was nothing "imaginary" about the Soviet Union either.

Quote:
When Americans wanted to have universal healthcare, education etc. the politicians would just point their finger at the Soviet Union and call the commies (they still do that but now point at Venezuela and Cuba).
That's a very "general talk" Grega, because the "universal healthcare and education" are not tied to the Soviet Union only, but to European countries, so please come up with a better example.

Quote:
So to with the situation in Russia. When there are Russians who say they want to put the oligarchs in check, curb the corruption and fix the political system to allow for more checks and balances and more parties to flourish, which you seem to want, but they go oh no the horror the west is demanding it, so we are going to do the opposite and become corrupt and authoritarian, that will show them, we are in control here not you.
And how do you envision this, Grega?

How are you going to "put the oligarchs in check," and make "more parties to flourish," when the army and police are on the payroll of the current oligarchic system and ruling party, and they don't seem to complain?

Who are the people who will take the guns in their hands to fight them?

And who are the people that will lead them to fight against the current regime?

Are they going to be trusted ( someone like Navalny, who is tied to the US funding, and US funding is what already took place thirty years ago, a real thing, NOT a "boogyman," as we already established earlier.

And how many Russians want the civil war/any kinds of upheavals in their country, with the West watching and biding its time to "make deals with the winners" - the way it was back in the 90ies?

Or the way it happened in Ukraine?

Or the way it was attempted in Belorussia?

See what I am saying?

Quote:
That just sound dumb and childish.
Does it?

Quote:
Maybe just do what makes sense and stop worrying about the west?
The West is in charge of the monetary world system, it would be silly "not to worry about the West."

Quote:
Russia can cut itself off from the west for all I care.
That's what Russia did back in the 20ies.
You know why?

Because it was in semi-colonial situation, and that's why Stalin made this decision, to cut Russia off financially from the West.

And that's what Chubais and Co did in the 90ies - plugged Russia back into the "international financial system," on highly disadvantaged conditions for Russia.
( Not saying that Russia shouldn't have been plugged back in, just NOT the way it was.)

Quote:
What I’m concerned about is the blatant corruption and economic inequality, which yes also exists in the US and yes I’m worried about that too because there is limit to how much the lower classes can stand, there will be a point when a revolution triggers as what happened in France and then later Russia.
This latest upheavals/changes in the US are indicating that US is in trouble for many reasons, ahead of Russia, and probably that's why DKM is running in circles, hoping that Russia will start busting at its seams (wet dream of all the nazis there too by the way.)
But as I've said earlier - everything should happen in a due order.

Quote:
In the 19th century Russian aristocrats where building themselves palaces on the Black Sea coast such as the vorontsov palace in Alupka while his subjects were living in squalor and now it’s happening all over again.
Yes it does, but whose fault is that?

Who helped to create this class of oligarchy, the "nouveau riches" of Russia and why?

Last edited by erasure; 01-21-2021 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe