Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2021, 05:04 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
For instance they have very good programmers, but many of those talents are working for the government or engaged in criminal hacking. Serious Russian companies like Kaspersky and Telegram have already left Russia, Kaspersky is in Switzerland now and Telegram in Dubai if I am not mistaken.

They also have a good engineering history, but again many are working for the military complex. At the same time I can't think of a single Russian brand that makes good commercial products. Or maybe they exist and they are simply not exported.
Most of Russian programmers work for internal business. For example, with the products of the 1C Company (erp system, accounting, etc.). This is a huge market with high salaries (2000-3000 dollars a month is the usual salary for a 1c programmer in Moscow).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 05:10 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Found it, I had never heard of it, seems to be pretty much unknown outside Russia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1C_Company

Old 04-30-2021, 05:11 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Russia can't be a tech leader because the government is involved in most of the areas tech would develop.
Who you think funds most of the basic tech used by Silicon Valley?? Wake up!!!

Russia needs to get rid of the monetarist and start spending money like crazy to develop its economy. And there is an entire world outside of Europe and North America to compete and win customers, The picture is not anywhere as bleak as you painted.

The country needs to boost significantly its public debt and turbocharge growth...there is nothing that prevent them to reach consistent 5-6% growth.

Old 04-30-2021, 05:47 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Found it, I had never heard of it, seems to be pretty much unknown outside Russia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1C_Company
Revenue of 650 million, that's why. Within a few miles of my house are 3 companies with 5 to 40 times that revenue. And I live in a suburb. Engineers make 10,000 to 20,000 a month, seniors 30k.

People from all over the world come here to make money. I am one of them. Nobody with good skills will live in Moscow to make 2 to 3k a month if they have a choice. Perhaps one reason why Putin is choking our embassies to keep people from leaving.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Revenue of 650 million, that's why. Within a few miles of my house are 3 companies with 5 to 40 times that revenue. And I live in a suburb. Engineers make 10,000 to 20,000 a month, seniors 30k.

People from all over the world come here to make money. I am one of them. Nobody with good skills will live in Moscow to make 2 to 3k a month if they have a choice. Perhaps one reason why Putin is choking our embassies to keep people from leaving.

...but you live in a place where you need one million dollar for a tool shed of a house and probably 30 bucks for a lousy entree in a restaurant for dinner....PPP dear DKM, PPP.

According to your theory we should not have anybody worth a damn left in Europe given the disparity on salary for high tech.....that is not the case....

How a successful company like Kaspersky exist?? Why it engineers are not all in SoCal??

Left me tell you, I work in high tech and to be honest with you, if I could go back I would never have left Europe, quality of life it's just too important.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is a difficult situation. They could change things if they wanted to.

For instance they have very good programmers, but many of those talents are working for the government or engaged in criminal hacking. Serious Russian companies like Kaspersky and Telegram have already left Russia, Kaspersky is in Switzerland now and Telegram in Dubai if I am not mistaken.

They also have a good engineering history, but again many are working for the military complex. At the same time I can't think of a single Russian brand that makes good commercial products. Or maybe they exist and they are simply not exported.

But it is not only their own fault, Nato's continuous attempts to destroy Russia even after the end of the Soviet Union have created a paranoid, isolated country. China might actually be Russia's salvation due to closer technological cooperation and the lack of sanctions, boycotts etc. between the two countries.
As far as I know, Kaspersky is still headquartered in Moscow.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:13 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...but you live in a place where you need one million dollar for a tool shed of a house and probably 30 bucks for a lousy entree in a restaurant for dinner....PPP dear DKM, PPP.
Thank you, you are doing half of my job while dealing with DKM's propaganda machine)))

Quote:
According to your theory we should not have anybody worth a damn left in Europe given the disparity on salary for high tech.....that is not the case....

How a successful company like Kaspersky exist?? Why it engineers are not all in SoCal??

Left me tell you, I work in high tech and to be honest with you, if I could go back I would never have left Europe, quality of life it's just too important.
According to him, all Russians ( and Europeans too I assume) should have no loyalty or love for their countries.
Such thing ( according to him) doesn't even exist.
Everything is measured in his world by money and money only.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Everything is measured in his world by money and money only.
Not only that, sorry to burst his bubble, only a fraction of SoCal engineers are really high quality material....most of them are just average and H1B visa riff raff...not to mention all the companies that live on hot air generating no revenue and not even prospects of being profitable thanks to the monstrous stock market bubble pumped by 0% interest rate.

However, I do recognize that Russians may have a customer service problem by direct personal experience....I collect Vostok watches and I buy them directly from the factory shop in Chistopol, Russia.
I bought already at least 20 of them if not more....the last one they sent had a misaligned bezel and I sent a picture to get a replacement part...first they replied that they did not see anything wrong then I took a zoomed out picture again pointing at the defect with an arrow...finally they agreed it was defective and they told me "when you order the next watch we will send you a replacement part".

Well I currently do not want to order more watches, the bezel part list price is $2 and shipping cost it's like $5 after all the money I spend with them.....an American company would have sent the replacement part right away, no question to ask.

There is a need for a change of attitude to be competitive.

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-30-2021 at 06:26 PM..

Old 04-30-2021, 06:32 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:
That's why Chinese aerospace companies might be more successful in the future, they have a giant market at home, which might create enough profits for Chinese manufacturers to expand globally later on.

Russia on the other hand has like 1/10 of the population while geographically the country is much bigger, so even within Russia maintaining such a support network is already much more difficult, let alone abroad.

Nor has Russia been considered a tech leader for quite some time now, rightly or not.
Russia isn't going to catch up to its competitors in the airline business. They need to stick to what they do best for now. Build robust and tough aircraft for themselves. See 2:40 on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOV3GvH3yTA

I think currently Russias tech is comparable to anyone else. It's just the different variables to do with scale that are different.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Russia isn't going to catch up to its competitors in the airline business. They need to stick to what they do best for now. Build robust and tough aircraft for themselves. See 2:40 on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOV3GvH3yTA

I think currently Russias tech is comparable to anyone else. It's just the different variables to do with scale that are different.
Given the current situation, Russian need to be self sufficient even in the airline sector. Potential access to Cinese and Indian market is of the utmost importance but they have to get it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe