Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2023, 03:13 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But there were/are Russians, who thought the country was headed in a good direction; they felt that gradually, step by step, their President was rebuilding the economy, and the future looked bright. Some of them were shocked and deeply disillusioned upon hearing of the "special military operation" in Ukraine. Not everyone is waving flags.

If they were shocked, they knew nothing about the Donbass problem since 2014. I think that most of these people left the country in the autumn of 2022. By the way, many in Russia do not wave flags, they don't like it after the collapse of the USSR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
+15P from Prigozhin?
Prigozhin is a very interesting person. I think that if the West decides to overthrow Putin, then he will be the new president. And it might be very bad for everyone.

Quote:
Please, stop posting 4 year old and pre war clips.
4 years? One of these songs is over 10 years old, the other is a little over a year old. They are written by different generations of poets (who were born in the 50s and who were born in the 80s). But yes, both of them are pre war.

Quote:
Here is the recent one for you - " Motherland, come back home!"
Shevchuk... A good musician, but not sincere. I give a truly sincere song that touches Shevchuk much more. You can use in your work .

https://youtu.be/qadFDvn9l54

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 02-22-2023 at 03:33 PM..

Old 02-22-2023, 08:03 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Prigozhin is a very interesting person. I think that if the West decides to overthrow Putin, then he will be the new president. And it might be very bad for everyone.
How would the West overthrow your President? This isn't possible.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
If they were shocked, they knew nothing about the Donbass problem since 2014. I think that most of these people left the country in the autumn of 2022. By the way, many in Russia do not wave flags, they don't like it after the collapse of the USSR.
It's just an expression. Waving flags, metaphorically speaking. Meaning--feeling patriotic.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:10 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
There's a saying in Russia, that basically communicates the idea, that it's better to stay with the leader you know, than to switch horses in midstream, and opt for an unknown entity, a "pig in a poke" the say in English. In Russian: "кот в мешке". Back when Clinton was running for President the first time, Russians told me it was better to stick with George HW Bush, because Clinton was a "кот в мешке". You can't trust the unknown. But Americans voted for change and for Clinton's promise to improve the economy, which he did achieve.

But there were/are Russians, who thought the country was headed in a good direction; they felt that gradually, step by step, their President was rebuilding the economy, and the future looked bright. Some of them were shocked and deeply disillusioned upon hearing of the "special military operation" in Ukraine. Not everyone is waving flags.
Sure someone didn't give you a wrong translation? KOT is cat.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't is an American version.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Sure someone didn't give you a wrong translation? KOT is cat.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't is an American version.
Yes, that's the Russian version of "a pig in a poke".
Quote:
A pig in a poke is an offer or deal that is foolishly accepted without being examined first.
(from a UK dictionary on common phrases)
Yours works too, contextually, but isn't the equivalent of the Russian phrase.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:37 AM

403 posts, read 221,126 times
Quote:

4 years? One of these songs is over 10 years old, the other is a little over a year old. They are written by different generations of poets (who were born in the 50s and who were born in the 80s). But yes, both of them are pre war.

Shevchuk... A good musician, but not sincere. I give a truly sincere song that touches Shevchuk much more. You can use in your work .

https://youtu.be/qadFDvn9l54
Of course, you know better than me about Russian songs. My point is - a year ago Russians were still "flirting" with democracy. A lot has changed in a year.

I do not know why Shevchuk is not sincere. But, I like the fact (per interview) that he gave his money to children and people of Ukraine.

I am happily retired and do not work anymore for anybody.

My "heart is bleeding" that my Motherland is drowning in blood - Ukranian and it's own.
Destroyed are beautiful towns, homes, families, lives. Millions of people displaced. Hundreds of thousands killed.
Recent Russian concerts left me nauseated. Patriotic bacchanalia - where whatever were sacred - were mixed with dermo and shouted through a microphone.

What happened to Russian people?

When I was growing up in the USSR - we were reading a lot - could not wait for "Literaturnaya Gazeta" to come out, paying a fortune for rare and limited editions books to create our own biblioteka/library, discussing and arguing about interesting articles, self-educating in politics, culture, human rights.
We were multiplying Visotsky's songs and spreading them around. We were thirsty for knowledge and other opinions about world's events - listening to radio "Svoboda" about Saharov and Solzhenitsin.
Thus developing critical thinking.
We were learning about human rights - basic person's rights - right to life and liberty, freedom from slavery and torture, freedom of opinion and expression, the right to work and education, etc.

But you wrote that Russian people are not interested in human rights groups that were shut down in Russia. What are they interested in then?

When I see clips on Telegram or watch YouTube videos - I think it cannot be - they are all a pranks.
But there are so many of them. It gives me a feeling of negative selection or reverse evolution is happening over there. People don't think anymore. The critical thinking is absent.
It's like watching Idiocracy movie - Russian style.

I liked this sad song a lot. It reminded me - when I saw clear sky with the golden wheat field at the end - about one Russian poet - Zinaida Gippius :

" Ona ne pogibnet - znaite!
Ona ne pogibnet, Rossiya.
Oni vskolosyatsya, - verte!
Polya yeyo zolotiye.

I mi ne pogibnem- verte!
No chto nam nashe spaseniye:
Rossiya spasyotsya, - znaite!
I blizko eyo voskresen'ye" year - 1918

It was written more than 100 years ago and we are still waiting for it.

Russia deserves so much better.
It could be a beautiful democratic country that lives in peace with it's neighbors and where conflicts are solved with diplomacy. Like Finland or Germany.

Presently though, your government is your enemy.
I wish Putin would shoot himself after what he is done to Ukraine (and Russia).
But, unfortunately, he is too much of a coward.

As for Prigozhin - yes, he will be bad. He needs to continue to "lepit kotleti".
Free political prisoners - you will find one or two brave people who is suit to be a president.

Last edited by Straight Arrow; 02-24-2023 at 11:46 AM..

Old 02-24-2023, 12:49 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Why is Russia isolating itself from the rest of Europe?

Is it all about Putin's ego, or does Russia simply not care that practically no country in Europe (except maybe Belarus) approves of Russia's imperialist ambitions?

Old 02-24-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Why is Russia isolating itself from the rest of Europe?

Is it all about Putin's ego, or does Russia simply not care that practically no country in Europe (except maybe Belarus) approves of Russia's imperialist ambitions?
Well, it's rather interesting, from a historical perspective. For hundreds of years, Russia struggled to show that it was a Western country, not a "backward" Eastern one. Yet now, here it is, turning its back on the West and running to its Asian colleagues for support and mutual understanding. But even so, it fails to embrace its own eastern 2/3. Instead, it forces its own Asian population to die in Ukraine. Is this the latest twist on Russia's nationalities policy?

Old 02-25-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
How would the West overthrow your President? This isn't possible.
Yanukovych thought the same way in February 2014, when he received guarantees from the foreign ministers of France and Germany.

Quote:
It's just an expression. Waving flags, metaphorically speaking. Meaning--feeling patriotic.
Yes, I understand the analogy . But patriotism in Russia is a very complicated thing, because half of the inhabitants were patriots of another country that collapsed 30 years ago. In order not to be disappointed, one does not need to be fascinated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe