Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2023, 06:49 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times

Advertisements

Also Orban kind of confirms he will block Sweden and Finland for nato lol...it's a funny world when the moral leaders are Turkey and Hungary and even funnier how angry the hippie stoner kids at reddit are seeing how the eu/nato are in their end days:

https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comm..._finland_stop/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 07:55 PM

908 posts, read 441,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Also Orban kind of confirms he will block Sweden and Finland for nato lol...it's a funny world when the moral leaders are Turkey and Hungary and even funnier how angry the hippie stoner kids at reddit are seeing how the eu/nato are in their end days:

https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comm..._finland_stop/

The truth about this is actually a bit more nuanced , as Orbán recently stated in a radio interview that he supports Hungary voting in favor of Sweden's and Finland's NATO accession , as this primary source video I'll be linking/transliterating below will testify :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxCn...gKorm%C3%A1nya

Starting at around 18:03 he states that " We support Sweden and Finland's NATO accession in principle " , going on to add that " Before that there is a need for some serious talks between the parliaments of Hungary and Sweden/Finland " , the reason for which he continues on with the statement of " If they expect us to be respectful of them , then they should be respectful of us " an obvious allusion to Sweden/Finland's backing of certain EU actions towards Hungary that the Hungarian government dislikes .

All this typed I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hungary ends up leaving both NATO and the EU within as even such a short time span as one year , but it will be under Toroczkai/the Our Homeland Movement as opposed to Orbán/Fidesz , since they aren't in the least bit interested in trying to advance the cause of Hungarian souverainism within the Atlanticist bloc/be on good terms with the whole world like Orbán and co. are .

As an aside I strongly suspect that the reason the Hungarian Parliament is still delaying the vote on Sweden/Finland's accession , which it was supposed to go forward with in February , is precisely because Fidesz is finding it increasingly difficult to deal with Toroczkai and his fellow MP's well crafted questions regarding this whole affair which they can't adequately answer without contradicting a good bit of their general rhetoric about the overall matter .

Old 03-02-2023, 01:30 PM

^ Interesting. I had no idea...so they go from right (Orban) to real far right, on another note I happened to watch 2 minutes from a Kasparov interview and the guy is such a loser, no wonder he is only good at playing games but even there got defeated by a machine. In the interview he said that after Putin falls Orban will be exposed with his connections to the russian government and hence their instructions to leave the eu, more or less that's what Kasparov meant. The sore chess loser continues to insist that leaving eu/nato must be some sort of alien instruction like a space ship on Venus or something and denies people want to leave nato/eu because they want freedom and not because Putin pays them.

Old 03-02-2023, 02:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
^ Interesting. I had no idea...so they go from right (Orban) to real far right, on another note I happened to watch 2 minutes from a Kasparov interview and the guy is such a loser, no wonder he is only good at playing games but even there got defeated by a machine. In the interview he said that after Putin falls Orban will be exposed with his connections to the russian government and hence their instructions to leave the eu, more or less that's what Kasparov meant. The sore chess loser continues to insist that leaving eu/nato must be some sort of alien instruction like a space ship on Venus or something and denies people want to leave nato/eu because they want freedom and not because Putin pays them.
Wasn't he defeated by a child chess whiz at one point? Not sure, it might have been that one from Norway.

Old 03-02-2023, 03:40 PM

^ I don't play chess at all yet if someone asks me what the most famous game of all time is it will be this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_B...Garry_Kasparov

And even for people who don't care about chess: this is a milestone for everyone interested in tech/AI. Ironically Kasparov said the computer was operated by a human player, so it was all scam from IBM. Wait till Kasparov plays a video game or discovers chatgpt lol.

Old 03-02-2023, 03:42 PM

...as to the "child wizz", I believe you may be referring to Magnus Carlsen who is/was a child prodigy and maybe the greatest ever, no idea if they ever played and like I said I'm no expert.

Old 03-03-2023, 12:27 AM

908 posts, read 441,006 times
Quote:

I actually did write a post back in July concerning Orbán's alleged connections with the Russian government ( revolving around the theme of Dietmar Clodo's claims regarding it ) that you might find interesting , though of course there is nothing as of yet relating to this theory that would stand up in court as they say :

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post63882102

At any rate this will be my last post regarding this specific issue as far as this thread goes , since I don't want to inadvertently steer it way off into matters not concerning Russia at all , but suffice to say that Hungary leaving the Atlanticist bloc will most likely only occur if thoroughly radical politicians like Toroczkai and his pals get elected .

P.S. I really don't know much about Kasparov , but I actually do have a chess set that was manufactured in Russia , so I suppose there's a tidbit that makes this post even more relevant to the general subject of Russia and all .

Old 03-03-2023, 02:22 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I understand the sentiment, but when reviewing the history that has rarely been the case. Russia usually had at least 1 or 2 allies in the west.
I think this is a very big problem of the current crisis. Russia's ally is now China. And this means that we are going beyond the intra-Christian wars, and enter the era of global cultural changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
The only times I can think of when the west was genuinely united against Russia was during the Cold War and the Crimean War, other times not really. During WWII the Soviet Union fought alongside the UK and the US and don’t forget about the land-lease act and all the monetary and material support the US provided (not so dissimilar to what the US is currently doing with Ukraine).
Russians remember and appreciate it. There is a debate within the historical community whether the USSR could have won without the support of the allies in World War II or not. But everyone agrees that it was a very important. But this situation is fundamentally different from Ukraine. The US did not make a coup in the USSR to attack Germany. It was an equal union.

At the beginning of the invasion of Ukraine, many Russians thought that attacking the unfortunate Ukraine was a mistake and old Putin went crazy. A year later, Russians see that Putin attacked not the unfortunate Ukraine, but NATO in Ukraine. And they find answers why Putin did it.

And by the way, Russia paid off the rest of its lend-lease debt in 2006.

Spoiler

Соглашение с СССР о порядке погашения долгов по ленд-лизу было заключено лишь в 1972 году[56]. По этому соглашению СССР обязался до 2001 года заплатить 722 млн $, включая проценты. К июлю 1973 года были осуществлены три платежа на общую сумму 48 млн $, после чего выплаты были прекращены в связи со вводом американской стороной дискриминационных мер в торговле с СССР (Поправка Джексона — Вэника). В июне 1990 года в ходе переговоров президентов США и СССР стороны вернулись к обсуждению долга[~ 7]. Был установлен новый срок окончательного погашения задолженности — 2030 год, и сумма — 674 млн $[~ 8].
После распада СССР остро встал вопрос — к кому переходят обязательства по долгам бывшего СССР (включая долги по ленд-лизу).
4 декабря 1991 года 8 республик СССР, включая РСФСР, подписали «Договор о правопреемстве в отношении внешнего государственного долга и активов Союза ССР», который фиксировал долю каждой республики в долгах (и в активах) бывшего СССР. При этом российская доля была установлена на уровне 61,34 %. Договор, однако, был подписан только частью республик бывшего СССР; страны Прибалтики, Азербайджан, Молдова, Туркменистан, Узбекистан его так и не подписали[57][58].
В 1992—1994 годах, однако, Российская Федерация подписала со странами — правопреемниками СССР двусторонние соглашения о «нулевом варианте», согласно которым РФ принимала на себя обслуживание всего государственного долга бывшего СССР в обмен на отказ других республик от полагавшейся им почти половинной доли во всех активах СССР (золотовалютные резервы, собственность за рубежом, собственность вооружённых сил и т. п.)[~ 9]. В связи с этим 2 апреля 1993 года правительство РФ заявило о принятии на себя ответственности по всем долгам СССР[59][60].
Технически долги СССР были разделены на долги правительствам (Парижский клуб) и долги частным банкам (Лондонский клуб); долг за ленд-лиз был долгом правительству США, то есть частью долга Парижскому клубу. Россия полностью погасила свою задолженность перед Парижским клубом 21 августа 2006 года[61].

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9B...BB%D0%B8%D0%B7
_______
An agreement with the USSR on the procedure for paying off lend-lease debts was concluded only in 1972[56]. Under this agreement, the USSR undertook to pay $722 million by 2001, including interest. By July 1973, three payments were made for a total of $48 million, after which payments were stopped due to the introduction by the American side of discriminatory measures in trade with the USSR (Jackson-Vanik Amendment). In June 1990, during the talks between the presidents of the United States and the USSR, the parties returned to the discussion of debt [~ 7]. A new deadline for the final repayment of the debt was set - 2030, and the amount - $ 674 million [~ 8]. After the collapse of the USSR, the question arose sharply - to whom the obligations for the debts of the former USSR (including Lend-Lease debts) were transferred. On December 4, 1991, 8 republics of the USSR, including the RSFSR, signed the "Agreement on Succession in Respect of the External Public Debt and Assets of the USSR", which fixed the share of each republic in the debts (and assets) of the former USSR. At the same time, the Russian share was set at 61.34%. The treaty, however, was signed only by a part of the republics of the former USSR; the Baltic countries, Azerbaijan, Moldova, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan did not sign it[57][58]. In 1992-1994, however, the Russian Federation signed bilateral agreements with the successor countries of the USSR on the "zero option", according to which the Russian Federation assumed the service of the entire state debt of the former USSR in exchange for the refusal of other republics from their almost half share in all assets of the USSR (gold and foreign exchange reserves, property abroad, property of the armed forces, etc.) [~ 9]. In this regard, on April 2, 1993, the government of the Russian Federation announced that it would assume responsibility for all the debts of the USSR[59][60]. Technically, the debts of the USSR were divided into debts to governments (Paris Club) and debts to private banks (London Club); the lend-lease debt was a debt to the US government, that is, part of the debt to the Paris Club. Russia fully repaid its debt to the Paris Club on August 21, 2006[61].

The joke about a united Europe in Russia refers primarily to the invasions of Napoleon and Hitler:

Napoleon:

https://museum-kam.ru/800/600/http/i...55/slide_3.jpg

Hitler:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...s_1941_jul.png

Old 03-03-2023, 02:46 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times
btw, Shnurov re-uploaded a video from 2014 about this. This is also a joke, of course. But it is about totalitarianism and China in Russia in creative reflection of the author from 2014 .

"Saint Nicholas save us from rock and roll"

https://youtu.be/YMg17vr62M8

Old 03-03-2023, 03:06 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
...as to the "child wizz", I believe you may be referring to Magnus Carlsen who is/was a child prodigy and maybe the greatest ever, no idea if they ever played and like I said I'm no expert.
They played in 2020. Oddly, Carlsen let Kasparov win. He gave Kasparov a way out of a tight situation, and Kasparov took it. But their first match was in 2004 in Reykavik, when Carlsen was just 13 years old. He won the first game, but lost the second. Very interesting. He provided Kasparov with a real challenge. (I just looked this up.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe