Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 12:59 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
The government must having an accountable to whom? Why an association with the European Union for this?
Well I'm guessing the thinking goes something like this, Ukraine is corrupt to the core, Russia is corrupt to the core, Europe is maybe corrupt, but not as bad, so if Ukraine is in an association with Europe then they are accountable to Europe if they want to continue their association and potential integration. Russia on the other hand will do nothing to help Ukraine fix it's corruption problem since it barley can help itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 01:11 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
What's really disgusting is it's actually socially acceptable and LEGAL. Seattles waterfront tunnel was the most expensive option the taxpayers could be asked to pay for and we voted it down. The vote was ignored and the state went ahead with it anyway. Why? The people who own the property on the waterfront are involved in the city and state government and have connections.

That's not corruption? That's enforcing the will of the people?

Don't lie to me.
Although it was expensive and there were some mishaps along the way I think the tunnel option was the best way to go. The viaduct needed to come down since it was structurally compromised and could collapse in the next earthquake. It's also an eye soar and disconnects downtown from the waterfront so replacing the viaduct with another one doesn't make much sense and would be a missed opportunity. Destroying it and replacing it with a boulevard wouldn't be able to handle the traffic especially all the trucks that would use it to get in and out of the port. So a Tunnel needed to be built to divert the truck drivers away from the downtown streets. So then the question is which is better, a cut and cover tunnel that will disrupt traffic for a very long time, possibly multiple years, or dig a bored tunnel that will cause minimal traffic disruptions?

Old 03-09-2018, 04:08 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
Russian priests: "Bulgarian president is just Western puppet in a country that is in the third world":
https://www.dnevnik.bg/bulgaria/2018...home_mainStory

I mean just another day in Russia...icons, vodka and "let's go back to bashing Ukraine and Bulgaria while praising the greatest country in the world: Serbia".

Old 03-09-2018, 09:20 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
It's definitely corrupt, but I wouldn't put it in the same boat as Russia's. That's a whole other level. Not the worst in the world, by any means, but still a far cry from the best. I'm not talking about the US, but of places like Iceland, Norway, Denmark...
I wonder if those places have certain advantages that others don't, especially when it comes to size and homogenous populations, available natural resources population density and stuff like that. .

Old 03-09-2018, 10:24 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Is that what a resident of Seattle is called?

Yes......

Old 03-09-2018, 11:12 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Well I'm guessing the thinking goes something like this, Ukraine is corrupt to the core, Russia is corrupt to the core, Europe is maybe corrupt, but not as bad, so if Ukraine is in an association with Europe then they are accountable to Europe if they want to continue their association and potential integration. Russia on the other hand will do nothing to help Ukraine fix it's corruption problem since it barley can help itself.
Accountable to Europe is a loss of a part of sovereignty. Russia carried out Western advice in the 90's, it ended with collapse of the country, default, sharp decline in the quality of life, demographic hole. I think it's better to be a "non-free country" with an independent economy. But I don't understand why I am not free in comparison with Europeans or Americans.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
....actually do you know that in many academia circles someone is starting to opine that democracy is overrated and inefficient?? It is terrifying and I do not agree at all but....many heavy thinkers are starting to ponder....from academia to policy makers there are many bridges....
A strong leader is necessary for any country in a difficult situation. It is obvious.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:19 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
The 90's problems were not brought on by Europe or the "West". That's of course who gets blamed, but the transition from a bankrupt USSR was going to be bad and take many years and low oil prices did not help.

An accountable government (I should have realized this idea is unknown over there) means accountable to its own people, not to another country.

Last edited by DKM; 03-09-2018 at 11:32 AM..

Old 03-09-2018, 11:31 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Russian priests: "Bulgarian president is just Western puppet in a country that is in the third world":
https://www.dnevnik.bg/bulgaria/2018...home_mainStory

I mean just another day in Russia...icons, vodka and "let's go back to bashing Ukraine and Bulgaria while praising the greatest country in the world: Serbia".
Bulgaria is doing better than Serbia, but that's a really low bar to clear. No doubt, this is the fault of the west.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
An accountable government (I should have realized this idea is unknown over there) means accountable to its own people, not to another country.
Why for this EU?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe