Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 02:12 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,928,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Racist attitudes? They carry that all over the globe.
I think there is more discrimination based on culture/class rather than race. I will refrain from speaking for Europeans or Americans but will speak for myself. While interacting with strangers I do notice the person's race just as I do their bodily language and mannerisms hygiene etc. however at the acquaintance level and beyond an individuals race isn't something I do not consider or give weight to when forming my opinion on said individual. I also do not think that Europeans as a whole are more racist than people from the other continents. In addition I don't know of any standardized criteria that can answer adequately whether as a whole racism is more prevalent in Northern or Southern Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 04:30 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,426,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Absolute rubbish, I am white, my family is black and 'white people' are not moving away from us in 'droves' because we live in 'their' street, the only issue our 'white' neighbours (on one side) have with us is because our eldest daughter and her boyfriend (both black) were sitting in his car playing music loudly late last weekend, nothing to do with the colour of their skin!! Apart from that little incident we have always got on rather well with our 'white' neighbours! Now there are racist people in every corner of this globe including the UK but there are literally millions of 'white' and 'black' people living side by side in the city streets of this country, your suggestion that 'white people' are 'escaping' in 'hordes' so that they don't have to live next to people of 'colour' is complete and utter nonsense.
Britain, North America, and most of Europe are, just as you say, largely willing to live among people of other races.

India, much of North Africa and the Middle East, and Indonesia are the countries with the least tolerant people. France and a handful of Eastern Europeans are the least tolerant in Europe.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ant-countries/

Old 01-03-2016, 10:35 AM

322 posts, read 481,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Britain, North America, and most of Europe are, just as you say, largely willing to live among people of other races.

India, much of North Africa and the Middle East, and Indonesia are the countries with the least tolerant people. France and a handful of Eastern Europeans are the least tolerant in Europe.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ant-countries/
They are not willing to live among those people, but they need to live among those people because they have aging populations and lower birth rates. And I dont get why you mix Europe/Britain with North America...... America has been a multiracial nation since its foundation, unlike Europe or Britain.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:49 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,080,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor View Post
They are not willing to live among those people, but they need to live among those people because they have aging populations and lower birth rates. And I dont get why you mix Europe/Britain with North America...... America has been a multiracial nation since its foundation, unlike Europe or Britain.
Europe has had immigration and migration, invasion and settlers hundreds of years before America was even 'made', or are you one of those people that thinks all Germans are blond and all Scots wear kilts?? Are you suggesting our neighbours are only prepared to live next door to us because they didn't have enough children!!?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Europe has had immigration and migration, invasion and settlers hundreds of years before America was even 'made', or are you one of those people that thinks all Germans are blond and all Scots wear kilts?? Are you suggesting our neighbours are only prepared to live next door to us because they didn't have enough children!!?
Europe has had immigration since ancient times however 500 years ago 99% of germans weren't from middle east, africa or asia. My point is high rates of immigration do not ocuur because European people are obsessed with living in a multicultural environment but because the economies need wages of young people to support the economy system.

It's not about being prepared or not.. immigration these days is a thing of supply and demand...

Old 01-03-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Europe has had immigration since ancient times however 500 years ago 99% of germans weren't from middle east, africa or asia. My point is high rates of immigration do not ocuur because European people are obsessed with living in a multicultural environment but because the economies need wages of young people to support the economy system.

It's not about being prepared or not.. immigration these days is a thing of supply and demand...
Germany isn't Europe though, and immigrants doesn't just mean middle east or Africa, despite Saxonwolds claims Europe has been a hub of immigration since before the Romans had their Empire.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Germany isn't Europe though, and immigrants doesn't just mean middle east or Africa, despite Saxonwolds claims Europe has been a hub of immigration since before the Romans had their Empire.
I'm talking about multiracial societies. The european nations have been more racially homogeneous 100 years ago than they were 50 years ago.. on the same way they are more diverse nowadays than 30 years ago.

There is a british looks (or array of looks), a german looks, a french looks, a dutch looks and a spanish looks... and every year that passes around there are more people who are obviously non-ethnic french, german, spanish or whatever living in those countries.

Europe has always been multicultural, and where always been trade, specially with middle/near east and africa, however the immigration levels where nowhere close to what we are seeing in recent years..

Old 01-03-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about multiracial societies. The european nations have been more racially homogeneous 100 years ago than they were 50 years ago.. on the same way they are more diverse nowadays than 30 years ago.

There is a british looks (or array of looks), a german looks, a french looks, a dutch looks and a spanish looks... and every year that passes around there are more people who are obviously non-ethnic french, german, spanish or whatever living in those countries.

Europe has always been multicultural, and where always been trade, specially with middle/near east and africa, however the immigration levels where nowhere close to what we are seeing in recent years..
Nevertheless your claim that Europe and Britain have not been multiracial in the past isn't really true, Britain has had immigration since the beginning obviously there are times in history when its been more common than others, there was immigration from the Iberian peninsula long before there was even such a thing as Britain and Spain, the Romans immigrated, the Vikings, the Saxons etc, there was a lot of immigration into London in the Victorian age from people from all over the globe, there was a lot in the 1950's and there has been a lot since the EU was formed, the latest 'batch' of immigrants tend to mostly be Eastern European. The belief that Britain is some sort of nation of 'Anglo Saxon' pure breeds is only something that people like Saxonwold believe to be true and although I am not Swiss or Italian or Dutch I imagine the same can be said of those countries too.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,426,921 times
Quote:
The map in the link I provided does indeed indicate 'willingness'. The reason I mixed North America with Europe/Britain is because the map indicates a similar rate of willingness to live in a diverse society.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:14 PM

82 posts, read 114,711 times
In Portugal racism seems to be more subtle, and can be compared to the situation in Brazil. For instance, Portugal's current prime-minister, Antonio Costa is of Goan origin, and is as far as I know the first non-white head of government in Europe. In Portugal, no one has made this an issue of this, and it is more or less ignored. Because he speaks Portuguese, has a Portuguese name, no one questions his Portugueseness. Goans tended to be at the top of Portugal's colonial pyramid however, and as early as 1822 there were Goans in Portugal's parliament, others were given titles of nobility, and in 1835 Bernardo Peres da Silva became the first Goan Viceroy of Portuguese India. Other Goans have achieved cabinet positions in the government, such as Alfredo Bruto Costa in 1979.

The current Minister of Justice, Francisca Van Dunem is black and was born in Portuguese Angola in 1974. In addition the last prime minister, of the centre-right PSD was married to a black woman from Guinea-Bissau and had himself lived in Angola before 1974. Portugal also embraced Eusébio, a black Mozambique born player as a national hero in the 1960s, and I never heard anyone criticise him for not being Portuguese. Other lesser known players of African origin were also embraced as part of the national team, this is in contrast to the criticism that one hears about non-white players in Italy or France. Portugal also sent black singers to represent the country at the Eurovision song contest, as early as in the 1960s. Again, there is little criticism from Portuguese society. Portugal even had a well-known black bullfighter, Ricardo Chibanga from Mozambique who became well known in the 1960s and 1970s.

You also have Marcelino da Mata, a native of Guinea-Bissau whom fought for the Portuguese during the war of independence in that former colony. Known as the "Portuguese Rambo" he went on to become the most decorated member of Portugal's military in history. He to this day says that he was born in a nation called Portugal, and that he will always be Portuguese. Part of this goes back to the Portuguese calling their colonies provinces, which dates back to the monarchy as was revived by Salazar in 1951. The idea being that Angola, Mozambique, or Goa were just as Portuguese as Minho, and were integral parts of the Portuguese nation, and that all of their inhabitants were Portuguese. Because Portugal was a dictatorship, this ideology went largely unchallenged until 1974 when the regime was overthrown and the colonies granted independence the following year.

That being said, because of the acceptance of some prominent non-whites in society as listed above, the Portuguese often act as if racism does not exist. Racism in Portugal is often veiled and problems are never addressed. Portuguese racism is also wrapped up in socio-economic class, therefore if the non-white person is well spoken, educated and culturally assimilated, he or she will generally be accepted as 100% Portuguese. However, poorer immigrants and their descendants often face obstacles when finding employment, housing, etc.

Last edited by paul1981; 01-05-2016 at 05:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe