Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2016, 04:47 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,426,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffofDover View Post
none of them has black or darkbrown hair which is very common in the UK. All of them have fair or blond hair just very bad lighting...good trick
Ok, I get it. When Germans are dark, they're in bad lighting, but when British people have brown hair, it's black? Right? Only a fool will buy that! Germans are not the blondest people, maybe it's something you'd like to be. No, wonder the Nazi regime when in power kidnapped literally thousands of blond-haired, blue-eyed kids from Northern and Eastern Europe to be raised as Germans! You are still stuck in their dreams. The blondest populations of Europe lay more in the north in Denmark, Estonia, Iceland, Norway and Sweden and the reddest-haired populations live in the North-West in the Celtic countries, in Ireland, Scotland and Wales but also parts of England. As another German person said, yes there is that blond-haired, blue-eyed type in Germany but Germans as a whole are not uniformly blond, rather show more variations.

Last edited by saxonwold; 11-06-2016 at 05:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
You have never been to Germany, you have no idea what you talk about, and europe is not as simple as its central, south or north europe, europe has always been a tribal place in many ways, you dont understand Europe at all, it is nothing like the US or other New World countries. I would be pleased if you stop commenting about places you have never been and stop basing yourself in nonsense from 200 years ago!

Also your North-central-south europe assumptions are not always a Rule, people in wales (and the British Isles/Ireland) hail from Northern europe however they are mostly brown and darkBrown haired and they are nowhere as blonde as people like the Dutch, Danes or Northern Germans who live in a similar latitude. I saw more blondes in Czech republic, Deep south germany and Austria than in many places upper north where you would expect people to be blonder just based on your north-south nonsense..
The " dark" Welsh type is only a stereotype. Yes, there are dark Welsh people and they generally tend to be better-looking than Germans( e.g. Catherine Zeta Jones), however the difference between the English and Welsh are never as great as that between Northern and Southern Germans or Northern and Southern French. First of all , the commonest eye colour in the U.K. is blue(ScotlandsDNA project) and the frequency of blue eyes in Wales is slightly higher than in Southwest, East and even Southeast England. The frequency of red hair in Wales is about the same as Ireland. Blond hair is not exotic in Wales, it is common, though people usually have brown hair, not black ( though some do). Many Welsh I have seen are blond/fair-haired as children, though this darkens as they grow older. This is why the majority still have blue or light eyes even when their hair colour is not blond! The most beautiful combination is that of dark hair, light eyes and pale skin which is seen in Celtic countries, but doesn't comprise of the majority of the Welsh who are more mousy-haired. It is just more striking. Central Europeans never strike me as light, they usually not pale-complected, many even when blond have brown eyes and are not like blond people from the Nordic or Baltic countries. Brown hair, brown eyes hold sway there.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut2016 View Post
You are talking about culture. I worked among quite a few czech colleagues and let me tell you some of the most germanic looking people I have seen have been the czech. English people are rarely germanic looking, most look like celtic-brythonic-roman mix.

And Dutch dont look like English, French flanders or even Flemish. They look more like people In Northern germany and Denmark who are clearly blonder/taller and more teutonic/germanic looking than the former populations that you mentioned... Its clear you never been to the UK or the NEtherlands if you believe the populations in those two countries resemble eachother. I actually see more poles that would blend in Netherlands or Germany than Brits, who usually only would pass in Ireland, or maybe in western france in some extent. Brits, particularly the english are some of the darkerst people I have seen in septentrional Europe (above the alps).
You are CliffofDover. You're not fooling me, I am way too smart for that. FYI, remember that I don't like to stray from facts.

This is reconstruction by forensic experts from the University of Dundee in Scotland of the face of Saxon man who lived in the 11th century. His skeleton was unearth on the Lincoln's Castle grounds. Radiocarbon dating shows this Saxon died sometime between 1035 AD and 1070 AD. or just before the Norman Conquest. Osteological examinations shows that he was around the ages of 35 and 45 years old when he died, isotope analysis of his bones and teeth shows that he born and bred in Eastern England.

This is how forensics experts estimated that he looked like.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:30 PM

The Saxon man (Teutonic) had brown hair, light eyes (green), which was most likely the average hair and eye color of Saxons migrants to Britain in the 5th century. Not the blond myth that CliffofDover has been talking about.

British Daniel Radcliffe shows similarities with that Saxon man, perhaps the nose differs a little!

Old 11-08-2016, 01:01 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,556 times
As someone above said, lighting is crucial when taking pictures and comparing hair colour, but also impossibility to tell true or dyed hair.

Anyway returning to the topic, Southern Germany is more similar to Southern Europe than Northern Germany is, but not very much. Still, here in the southwestern part we eat more pasta than potatoes.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:17 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,288,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
The Saxon man (Teutonic) had brown hair, light eyes (green), which was most likely the average hair and eye color of Saxons migrants to Britain in the 5th century. Not the blond myth that CliffofDover has been talking about.

British Daniel Radcliffe shows similarities with that Saxon man, perhaps the nose differs a little!
Sure he's not platinum blonde but I would not say he looks southern european either, and here in northern Italy there are also many people who look a lot like him with lighter-brown hair colour (at least on thi picture !)

Old 11-08-2016, 05:19 AM

121 posts, read 277,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Sure he's not platinum blonde but I would not say he looks southern european either, and here in northern Italy there are also many people who look a lot like him with lighter-brown hair colour (at least on thi picture !)
He looks random western european, My first guess would be british, then french, but I guess he could pass even for west slav, isnt he part jewish by the way?

Old 11-08-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
You are CliffofDover. You're not fooling me, I am way too smart for that. FYI, remember that I don't like to stray from facts.

This is reconstruction by forensic experts from the University of Dundee in Scotland of the face of Saxon man who lived in the 11th century. His skeleton was unearth on the Lincoln's Castle grounds. Radiocarbon dating shows this Saxon died sometime between 1035 AD and 1070 AD. or just before the Norman Conquest. Osteological examinations shows that he was around the ages of 35 and 45 years old when he died, isotope analysis of his bones and teeth shows that he born and bred in Eastern England.

This is how forensics experts estimated that he looked like.

And? he is way darker than the average here in Northern Germany, but he has average pigmentation for Scotland, Ireland and England.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:

And by the way saxon areas in both NL and DE are very blond.

are those people considerably darker than adult scandinavians? I dont think so, and those are random NW germans with some foreigners thrown in between. The facial types are very germanic too, I wouldnt say they are any less germanic than Dutch or Danish/Jutlandic people. Its obvioius that Norwegians and more so Swedes (talking here about those who hail mostly in northern/central areas of those countries) have more baltic influences and look less ultra germanic. I mean with baltic, rounder faces, smaller noses, etc. The typical germanic looks is way more common in NEtherlands, Germany and Even Austria than it is in Scandinavian anyways..

Old 11-08-2016, 10:24 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,288,333 times
Quote:
He looks random western european, My first guess would be british, then french, but I guess he could pass even for west slav, isnt he part jewish by the way?
yeah, he could be from anywhere in western europe. I have friends who look a lot like him in France as well. I don't think he looks typically British, like, say, Prince Charles does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe