Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2016, 08:50 AM

121 posts, read 277,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
That territory was for long time, a part of the Frankish confederation of tribes until the Saxons from the north push them south and settled there to later be re-conquered after a series of wars by the Holy Roman Empire armies led by Karolus Magnus. If they are so dark, that completely break the "blond Germanic myth". However I don't believe it's the darkest region of Germany since it borders a good part of the Netherlands and Lower Saxony. Too far north as Neuling said from southern Germany, which is overall, the darkest region of Germany, it just means as I have said before dark hair is not uncommon in Germany, that's all!
It might not be the "darkest" of germany but there is considerably difference between Bonn/Koln area and for example anything from Dortmund and up north....where the true north of germany starts... I know plenty of SW germans who are very blonde by the way, I think South-east germany might be the darkest. while North-west germans are the lightest, specially the closer they get to the frysian islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 12:21 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
I have just spent a few days in Munich. I don't thing it has anything to do with Southern Europe but for someone who grew up just west of the Alps and now lives just south of it, there is some familiarity that I guess I might not find if I spent the same amount of time in Hamburg (which I still have to visit). Maybe Northern Germany might feel more familiar to Dutch people or Danes but I wouldn't know.

Amazing place anyway. I saw many blonde people but it's overall a very cosmopolitan city. Everyone talked to me in German and I'm not really blonde.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:40 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,435,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I have just spent a few days in Munich. I don't thing it has anything to do with Southern Europe but for someone who grew up just west of the Alps and now lives just south of it, there is some familiarity that I guess I might not find if I spent the same amount of time in Hamburg (which I still have to visit). Maybe Northern Germany might feel more familiar to Dutch people or Danes but I wouldn't know.

Amazing place anyway. I saw many blonde people but it's overall a very cosmopolitan city. Everyone talked to me in German and I'm not really blonde.
In a big city like Munich, people are from everywhere, so it would be quite difficult to make a judgement. You should not be surprised to see blondes in Central Europe! Southern Germany is in Central not Southern Europe. Hamburg, Kiel are in Northern Europe, you' ll see the difference.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:09 AM

Quote:
In a big city like Munich, people are from everywhere, so it would be quite difficult to make a judgement. You should not be surprised to see blondes in Central Europe! Southern Germany is in Central not Southern Europe. Hamburg, Kiel are in Northern Europe, you' ll see the difference.
You have never been to Germany, you have no idea what you talk about, and europe is not as simple as its central, south or north europe, europe has always been a tribal place in many ways, you dont understand Europe at all, it is nothing like the US or other New World countries. I would be pleased if you stop commenting about places you have never been and stop basing yourself in nonsense from 200 years ago!

Also your North-central-south europe assumptions are not always a Rule, people in wales (and the British Isles/Ireland) hail from Northern europe however they are mostly brown and darkBrown haired and they are nowhere as blonde as people like the Dutch, Danes or Northern Germans who live in a similar latitude. I saw more blondes in Czech republic, Deep south germany and Austria than in many places upper north where you would expect people to be blonder just based on your north-south nonsense..

Old 11-04-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffofDover View Post
You have never been to Germany, you have no idea what you talk about, and europe is not as simple as its central, south or north europe, europe has always been a tribal place in many ways, you dont understand Europe at all, it is nothing like the US or other New World countries. I would be pleased if you stop commenting about places you have never been and stop basing yourself in nonsense from 200 years ago!

Also your North-central-south europe assumptions are not always a Rule, people in wales (and the British Isles/Ireland) hail from Northern europe however they are mostly brown and darkBrown haired and they are nowhere as blonde as people like the Dutch, Danes or Northern Germans who live in a similar latitude. I saw more blondes in Czech republic, Deep south germany and Austria than in many places upper north where you would expect people to be blonder just based on your north-south nonsense..
I have for sure! You are the one who want to portray an image which doesn't exist. Germany is not the blondest country in Europe and has never been for your information. Northern Germany is not any particularly blonder/lighter-haired than nations within the same latitude, while southern Germany is not as equally blonde/light-haired as northern Germany. Austria, the Czech Republic are more similar to southern Germany, Switzerland and so forth, nothing special there. British Islanders(Whites) are by no means any particularly darker than northern Germans, they are in fact similar, those who are darker are those of Pakistani, Indian, African, Caribbean, Asian or mixed-race descent. The Welsh? No way. In fact the British and Irish have higher percentages of blue eyes/red hair than Germans, Belgians, French, Austrians, Czechs, Poles, Russians, etc... So is that make them darker? Truly blonde nations are Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden! People in Wales are mainly of Celtic descent, brown hair is the most common hair color, the most common eye colour is blue(BritainsDNA project 2014) but they have their share of blondes too. Additionally, Wales has a much higher frequency of red hair than any European country outside of the British Isles. The Dutch are also principally a light-haired group, blonde hair is common but not to the point you were exaggerating. I am Dutch by ancestry. Brown hair is the most common hair color of Europeans outside of Scandinavia and Estonia. Blue eyes are not the most common eye colour in southern Germany, Austria or the Czech republic either! The North-Central-South Europe assumption is true, because truly blond hair/ truly red hair/truly fair skin are most frequent within Northern European countries.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:57 AM

Southern Germans are fun, only around this season!

The true Bavarians

Last edited by saxonwold; 11-04-2016 at 10:04 AM..

Old 11-04-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffofDover View Post

Since when brown hair rare or an exotic thing in northern Germany? Come on, now CliffofDover!
These youth team is from North-West Germany.

This youth team is from South-East England.

A rugby team (my favorite sport) from Wales.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:00 AM

Uber blond?
Theodoe Waigel (German Finance Minister), most likely from southern Germany

Ulf Kirsten from the Free State of Saxony

Old 11-05-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Uber blond?
Theodoe Waigel (German Finance Minister), most likely from southern Germany

Ulf Kirsten from the Free State of Saxony
you are cherrypicking. I attended university in both UK and Germany, there is no comparison, germans are far blonder and look like teutonic/germanics.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Since when brown hair rare or an exotic thing in northern Germany? Come on, now CliffofDover!
These youth team is from North-West Germany.

none of them has black or darkbrown hair which is very common in the UK. All of them have fair or blond hair just very bad lighting...good trick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe