Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 07:01 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I never said the contrary. All I am saying is that things aren't as overwhelmingly dominant as Obi Wan is saying. And of course it's really a US thing more than anything else.

Mostly in the field of music. I read lots of books and contemporary Australian writers don't really stand out.

Artists? You'd have to define this more precisely.

Renowned film-makers? They're from all over the world, including non-anglo countries.

Actors? Same thing.

Musicians? You've got a point but this has been acknowledged many times on here (the anglo advantage that is).
Well Australia punches far above it's weight, and I think it's pretty obvious our Anglo connection is a big advantage here. Need I name the Aussie film makers who became big in Hollywood? The list will be long. Compare it to the famous French actors. Basically I can think of Gerard Deprideau and Audrey Tatou who have made any dent in Hollywood. In contrast (you can debate how Australian they are but they are generally considered so), the likes of Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts, Hugh Jackman, Anthony LaPaglia, Toni Colette, Heath Ledger (RIP), Liam Hemsworth, even Rose Byrne among others. Baz Luhrman is one of the biggest directors in Hollywood right now. Sure the French had their new wave and moment in the sun, but France has always been near the centre of cultural gravity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:17 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well Australia punches far above it's weight, and I think it's pretty obvious our Anglo connection is a big advantage here. Need I name the Aussie film makers who became big in Hollywood? The list will be long. Compare it to the famous French actors. Basically I can think of Gerard Deprideau and Audrey Tatou who have made any dent in Hollywood. In contrast (you can debate how Australian they are but they are generally considered so), the likes of Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts, Hugh Jackman, Anthony LaPaglia, Toni Colette, Heath Ledger (RIP), Liam Hemsworth, even Rose Byrne among others. Baz Luhrman is one of the biggest directors in Hollywood right now. Sure the French had their new wave and moment in the sun, but France has always been near the centre of cultural gravity.
But this is your universe, not necessarily everyone else's. Yes, the anglo culture you are describing does have some level of penetration into all the others (francophone, hispanophone, lusophone, Russian, Japanese, etc.) way more than vice-versa. It makes it ubiquitous in a way. But this does not mean that it necessarily *dominates* and totally squeezes out everything else of another origin.

I live in North America and can name a lot more French actors than I can name Australian ones. This is probably true of most of my friends as well.

Do you actually think that your average person in Brazil knows more Australian celebrities than Portuguese ones?

Old 06-11-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
But this is your universe, not necessarily everyone else's. Yes, the anglo culture you are describing does have some level of penetration into all the others (francophone, hispanophone, lusophone, Russian, Japanese, etc.) way more than vice-versa. It makes it ubiquitous in a way. But this does not mean that it necessarily *dominates* and totally squeezes out everything else of another origin.

I live in North America and can name a lot more French actors than I can name Australian ones. This is probably true of most of my friends as well.

Do you actually think that your average person in Brazil knows more Australian celebrities than Portuguese ones?
Hollywood is still the most international/globalised/pervasive film industry in the world. And Australians have a mainline into it being English-speakers, having a ready source of actors and cultural similarities. Even among backpackers, those from English speaking nations tend to gravitate together. That's basically my point. Do you agree with it or not?

Old 06-11-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Anyway, as for the OP I'd say Italy. Italian movies, TV, music.etc is still very popular, and almost every foreign TV show or movie on TV is dubbed. Despite it's international fame Italy remains quite insular.
It may be true Italy resists Americanization well but I am not sure that it's dubbing that makes it stand out. Foreign TV programs are systematically dubbed in Germany, France and Spain as well.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Hollywood is still the most international/globalised/pervasive film industry in the world. And Australians have a mainline into it being English-speakers, having a ready source of actors and cultural similarities. Even among backpackers, those from English speaking nations tend to gravitate together. That's basically my point. Do you agree with it or not?
Of course I agree with this last question.

But this is only valid for the anglosphere world.

Now, do you think that people in Brazil would be more familiar with Australian celebrities (simply because they speak English and some are plugged into Hollywood) or Portuguese ones?

Old 06-11-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Of course I agree with this last question.

But this is only valid for the anglosphere world.

Now, do you think that people in Brazil would be more familiar with Australian celebrities (simply because they speak English and some are plugged into Hollywood) or Portuguese ones?
Well aren't Hollywood movies still big there? If so I would think Mel Gibson would be at least AS big as some Portuguese star, but I can't say for sure. Either way, he'd be a lot more well known there than any Portuguese star is known here. Mel Gibson is at least known from China to Chile, whereas in the Anglosphere very few non-Anglo stars are known. You have a few crossover stars like Jackie Chan, but even the likes of Sharuk Khan in India aren't THAT well known outside...

Old 06-11-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
It may be true Italy resists Americanization well but I am not sure that it's dubbing that makes it stand out. Foreign TV programs are systematically dubbed in Germany, France and Spain as well.
Well, not only dubbing, but the lack of fast food chains too, or foreign food in general. It's easier to find foreign food in Shanghai than it is in Rome.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Well, not only dubbing, but the lack of fast food chains too, or foreign food in general. It's easier to find foreign food in Shanghai than it is in Rome.
On this I agree! I was there not long ago and the only foreign food readily available is fast-food like doner-kebabs and the occasional Asian place. Other than that it's wall-to-wall Italian.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Well aren't Hollywood movies still big there? If so I would think Mel Gibson would be at least AS big as some Portuguese star, but I can't say for sure. Either way, he'd be a lot more well known there than any Portuguese star is known here. Mel Gibson is at least known from China to Chile, whereas in the Anglosphere very few non-Anglo stars are known. You have a few crossover stars like Jackie Chan, but even the likes of Sharuk Khan in India aren't THAT well known outside...
That's not the point.

The point is that the total number of Portuguese celebrities that would be household names in Brazil is much higher than the number of Australian ones.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
That's not the point.

The point is that the total number of Portuguese celebrities that would be household names in Brazil is much higher than the number of Australian ones.
Well what are we even discussing? I said in terms of worldwide fame Australia has far more household names than any European or other country. It's only beaten by the US and UK and rivalled by Canada. So it's either 3rd or 4th in terms of huge celebs in the world, and that's because of it's Anglo heritage. Not bad for a nation of 23 million in the Southern Hemisphere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe